NEWS

WAR

• 29 Replies

nimrod_funk

• Newb

WAR

« on: <02-25-11/1025:28> »
Just curious, IS CAS involved in making any actions along the Atzlan/Texas border? Curious if CAS is in anyway involved in the conflict?
"Can't stop here it's bat country"

Henker

• Newb
  • Mystic Adept
« Reply #1 on: <02-25-11/1659:34> »
Based on what happens in denver, and on the new revolution faction described in Threats 2, I would assume that the CAS wil be glad to be involved  or to support (directly or undirectly) in any kind of actions directed against the Aztlan.
Eighth and final rule: if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight

Fortinbras

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <02-25-11/1714:48> »
One of the JackPoint posters posits that CAS will use the threat of war to take a firmer hand in the renegotiating of the Denver treaty and might try to take back Austin, but would avoid open war.
There is, however, an adventure in which a CAS cabinet member hires the runners to cause a row in the CAS navy and one where someone claiming to want the CAS to enter the was hires the runners to destroy a CAS military post northwest of San Antonio.

Although, to still be in Texas, that post would have to be so far northwest that it would be in Kerrville. So be prepared to have your Shadowrun team meet a lot of hippies with more dope than brains listening to terrible folk music.
O, proud Death, What feast is toward thine eternal cell, That thou so many princes at a shot So bloodily hast struck?
Fortinbras- Hamlet. Act V, Sceen II

nimrod_funk

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <02-25-11/1841:18> »
Who needs dope when awakened pharma is so much more enticing.

Based on what Atzlan did with the Heart of the Dragon novels I would think that probably that might be a tad in they're disfavor. The whole trying to open a gateway in the outer metaplanes and stuff to create a hell on earth.

With Fort Hood in close proximity and San Antonio in Atzlan territory I wouldn't be surprised if CAS started building they're forces for a incursion. Lots of dark mojo going on in Atzlan I think CAS is chomping at the bit to roll they tanks and high altitude bombers over the line.

Fortinbras

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <02-25-11/2051:19> »
Great. Now the Kerrville Music Festival is going to be even more unbearable!

I agree that most Texans and CAS folk would love an all out war with the Azzies, but War! makes it pretty clear it's just rumors of war and diplomatic posturing... for now.
Don't forget that Texas seceded from the CAS just to start a war with the Azzies and we got our butt's handed to us in a hand basket. Then we had to run back to the CAS with our hats in our hands. There have to still be people around who remember that war and the humiliation it caused. Folks who lost fathers and sons who may not be keen to lose more just for Southern pride and honor(or On-ah, if you prefer.)

I wouldn't call Fort Hood close to San Antonio. It's closer to Waco and Temple. In 2070, Austin is a split town that has become an ostensible military base itself, so that might be where the heavy hitting would begin.
I've had an outline and a healthy amount of copy for an Austin supplement for a while now.

San Angelo is sort of a CAS/Azzie border city, too. I tried to run a game there, but one of my players grew up in San Angelo, so when I said "You all start off in San Angelo" she said "I leave and never come back. Like everyone else who grew up there." So there is that.
O, proud Death, What feast is toward thine eternal cell, That thou so many princes at a shot So bloodily hast struck?

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #5 on: <02-26-11/1814:36> »
Austin is a lot more East/West Berlin than anything else, right now.  There are rumors of military build-ups leading to an all out assault, but there have always been those sort of rumors.  Things have gotten worse in Austin lately (so much so UT was shut down), but it's still much more of an espionage/wetwork type hotspot than a full on war zone.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #6 on: <02-26-11/1930:23> »
There have to still be people around who remember that war and the humiliation it caused. Folks who lost fathers and sons who may not be keen to lose more just for Southern pride and honor(or On-ah, if you prefer.)
*Cough*Kane*Cough*
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Grinder

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <02-28-11/0449:44> »
San Angelo is sort of a CAS/Azzie border city, too. I tried to run a game there, but one of my players grew up in San Angelo, so when I said "You all start off in San Angelo" she said "I leave and never come back. Like everyone else who grew up there." So there is that.

Awesome! :rofl:

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <02-28-11/1943:23> »
Funny you mention San Angelo.

Fortinbras

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <03-01-11/0100:17> »
Please tell me the Azzies nuke it, create a permanent background count of a million and salt the earth so nothing can live there again.
It's very pretty country, with a rich and interesting history, but it is a difficult place to grow up. I'd love to see all the colorful religious characters and xenophobes around those parts turned up to 11 and given magic powers & cyberware.
Well, I'd love to see it from a distance.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <03-01-11/0647:39> »
Like orbit, maybe?
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #11 on: <03-01-11/0947:11> »
No, that's where they'd nuke it from.

It's the only way to be sure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

nimrod_funk

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <03-01-11/1533:25> »
I think the key though to the loss of the war with Atlan was probably due to a lack of tactical understanding of magic in a combat perspective. Probably CAS was just plain scared of the advances that Atzlan may have made in terms of advancements for the militarization of magic. That combined with a adequate conventional force could make for a nasty push.

I dunno it's been what 30 or so years. I'm sure with the inclusion of Bug City, and some of the other nasties that have come about CAS and UCAS has a better handle on paranormal militarization. That combined with the war in the south I the CAS could make a strong push. I think the big question is just how far would Atzlan go in creating a scorched earth policy both in mundane and astral world?

Besides Dallas Fort Worth Metro sprawl is the only habitable part of Texas anyways. But I'm a little partial. (:>)

Fortinbras

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <03-01-11/1721:12> »
Life's too short to live in Houston.

Abstruse

« Reply #14 on: <03-29-11/2230:12> »
Austin is a lot more East/West Berlin than anything else, right now.  There are rumors of military build-ups leading to an all out assault, but there have always been those sort of rumors.  Things have gotten worse in Austin lately (so much so UT was shut down), but it's still much more of an espionage/wetwork type hotspot than a full on war zone.
From what I understand, Austin's pretty much a military town now.  And anything south of the river's pretty much gone - half ghost town, half WWII era newsreels post-bombing.  The only bridge over the river still standing is the I-35 bridge, and it's got heavy checkpoints.  And pretty much every park in the city is wired for surveillance since they were such frequent spots for clandestine intelligence meetings.

I really don't like it.  Congress Bridge would be a better checkpoint than I-35.  Also, all my favorite restaurants and stores would be gone :(  On the plus side, I plan to move to the other side of the river a step ahead of the Azzies.