NEWS

WAR

• 29 Replies

Fortinbras

• Chummer
« Reply #15 on: <03-30-11/0033:49> »
I really don't like it.  Congress Bridge would be a better checkpoint than I-35.  Also, all my favorite restaurants and stores would be gone :(  On the plus side, I plan to move to the other side of the river a step ahead of the Azzies.
Getting rid of the Congress bridge would also mean getting rid of the bats, and there is no way those things don't become too Awakened to mess with in the 6th world. Besides, getting rid of south Congress in Austin would be like getting rid of the space needle in Seattle. Azzies or no Azzies, hipsters and hippies would keep that place a jumpin' like Rick's Cafe in Casablanca. I envision the city a lot like Berlin in The Third Man, the city split between two great military powers and all the latinos, good ol' boys, hipsters, hippies, Azzies and Germans(Neu Braunfels) thrown into the mix and trying to scrape by.

Like I said I've pretty much got a whole source book of copy for Austin.
O, proud Death, What feast is toward thine eternal cell, That thou so many princes at a shot So bloodily hast struck?
Fortinbras- Hamlet. Act V, Sceen II

Abstruse

« Reply #16 on: <03-30-11/0053:20> »
I really don't like it.  Congress Bridge would be a better checkpoint than I-35.  Also, all my favorite restaurants and stores would be gone :(  On the plus side, I plan to move to the other side of the river a step ahead of the Azzies.
Getting rid of the Congress bridge would also mean getting rid of the bats, and there is no way those things don't become too Awakened to mess with in the 6th world. Besides, getting rid of south Congress in Austin would be like getting rid of the space needle in Seattle. Azzies or no Azzies, hipsters and hippies would keep that place a jumpin' like Rick's Cafe in Casablanca. I envision the city a lot like Berlin in The Third Man, the city split between two great military powers and all the latinos, good ol' boys, hipsters, hippies, Azzies and Germans(Neu Braunfels) thrown into the mix and trying to scrape by.

That would've been nice if anyone at FASA/FanPro had ever been here (I don't think Catalyst has done anything with Austin yet).  As for the bats, they're doing a good enough job killing themselves off.  Some virus is spreading through them and the population's down by half over the past 10 years.

But really, the only people still in Austin are the Azzies, the CAS, people too old/stubborn to move, people making money dealing arms or smuggling, and Lone Star.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #17 on: <03-30-11/0108:04> »
To be fair, most people write where they are, or where they're close.  Bethesda put Fallout 3 in Washington DC as that's where they are.  Obsidian made New Vegas after lots of "Business Trips" to Las Vegas.

Maybe I'll get bored one day and write about my Hometown in Shadowrun.   :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Fortinbras

• Chummer
« Reply #18 on: <03-30-11/0110:21> »
Shadows of Winnipeg? Everyone is polite, has excellent health care and freezes to death.
O, proud Death, What feast is toward thine eternal cell, That thou so many princes at a shot So bloodily hast struck?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #19 on: <03-30-11/0129:31> »
I live in Winnipeg, but I'm "just another bloody Immigrant", and it's far from the picture you paint it as.  Also, Winnipeg would be a border city with the Algonquin-Manitou Council lands, so lots of opportunities for Shadowrunning.  (I do have a basic thing written about this before other things occupied my mind.).

No, I'm from Northern Ontario, a city which, IIRC, is close to the border of the Republic of Quebec.  (No, I'm not going to type that out in French.).
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Fortinbras

• Chummer
« Reply #20 on: <03-30-11/0215:46> »
Hey, it's literally freezing in Winnipeg right now. As far as my 111 degrees in the shade summers are concerned, that's freezing to death. We Texans just can't take it.

Winnipeg might be a neat border running town, like Austin. I imagine it'd be a lot like the Seattle Sprawl smuggling with the Cascade Orcs. We really should make those city guides presentable for public consumption. Show Mr. Hardy what he's missing.

We have Quebecois here, too. We call them Cajuns.
Never been north of Cleveland, myself, but I know what you mean about "immigrant." I was in Waco once and someone called me a Yankee because of how I speak. I said "I'm from Fort Worth!" and they said "Well that's north of here!"

You have to give me the health care thing, though. Y'all have that. And you CanRay, at least, are always polite. Though I did know a NO parish cop who said he arrested more Canadians during Mardi Gras than anyone else...

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <03-30-11/0352:19> »
Yeah, Austin would be a neat espionage setting.

If only there was such a book coming out.

My hometown has actually been covered, but ... Hm. Wait. I don't remember if my hometown is public knowledge.

Fortinbras

• Chummer
« Reply #22 on: <03-30-11/0433:51> »
Albuquerque?

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <03-30-11/0725:34> »
Shoulda made that left turn there.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <03-30-11/1038:00> »

Antone's Cafe Americano ;)
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <03-30-11/1040:27> »
I live in Winnipeg, but I'm "just another bloody Immigrant", and it's far from the picture you paint it as.  Also, Winnipeg would be a border city with the Algonquin-Manitou Council lands, so lots of opportunities for Shadowrunning.  (I do have a basic thing written about this before other things occupied my mind.).

No, I'm from Northern Ontario, a city which, IIRC, is close to the border of the Republic of Quebec.  (No, I'm not going to type that out in French.).

<3 Winnipig - friend of mine and his husband have a beautiful manse there, really gorgeous place. If I ever moved to Canadia though it'd have to be Calgary, too many folks I know live there - plus it's like Kansas City only colder!
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <04-11-11/1555:03> »
Albuquerque?
Yeah.

A run in an upcoming book is set here.

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <04-12-11/2045:46> »
Great. Now the Kerrville Music Festival is going to be even more unbearable!

I agree that most Texans and CAS folk would love an all out war with the Azzies, but War! makes it pretty clear it's just rumors of war and diplomatic posturing... for now.
Don't forget that Texas seceded from the CAS just to start a war with the Azzies and we got our butt's handed to us in a hand basket. Then we had to run back to the CAS with our hats in our hands. There have to still be people around who remember that war and the humiliation it caused. Folks who lost fathers and sons who may not be keen to lose more just for Southern pride and honor(or On-ah, if you prefer.)

I wouldn't call Fort Hood close to San Antonio. It's closer to Waco and Temple. In 2070, Austin is a split town that has become an ostensible military base itself, so that might be where the heavy hitting would begin.
I've had an outline and a healthy amount of copy for an Austin supplement for a while now.

San Angelo is sort of a CAS/Azzie border city, too. I tried to run a game there, but one of my players grew up in San Angelo, so when I said "You all start off in San Angelo" she said "I leave and never come back. Like everyone else who grew up there." So there is that.

HAHAHAHAHAHA I lived in San Angelo for about 10 years...and I can verify his statement.  Nobody stays there except defense contractors working on the base (like me)

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #28 on: <04-12-11/2223:03> »
Hey, it's literally freezing in Winnipeg right now. As far as my 111 degrees in the shade summers are concerned, that's freezing to death.
It's currently 1 degree Celsius outside (33'ish Farenheit)

Summer was around 43 degrees (105'ish).

Land of Droughts and Flooding rains...that's us :)

'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Mindset

• Newb
« Reply #29 on: <04-21-11/0628:12> »
To be fair, most people write where they are, or where they're close.  Bethesda put Fallout 3 in Washington DC as that's where they are.  Obsidian made New Vegas after lots of "Business Trips" to Las Vegas.

Maybe I'll get bored one day and write about my Hometown in Shadowrun.   :P

Yeh, sorry about that. I work for the nightclub that catered to them staying out here so often. They completely fucked up on getting the city right, btw.
"Can you blow me where the pampers is?"