[6e] Accessing the matrix Cyberjack, Cyberdecks and Commlink

• 73 Replies

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #60 on: <11-20-19/0847:54> »
Ok, a follow up question/scenario.

Runner team consists of 4 members.

Mr. Heck : team hacker with the following ASDF :   7667 (deck+jack) AR:13 DR: 13
Rick : team rigger with the following ASDF: 0065 (RCC). AR: 0 DR: 11
Alley Sam: team Street Samurai with the following ASDF: 0002 (link) AR:0 DR: 2
Barty the team face/back Up Decker with the following ASDF: 3413 (link+deck) AR: 7 DR: 4

The team decides (wisely) to have the Decker make a PAN which includes the whole team. This means the deckers firewall Attribute now benefits the whole network.

The new team ASDF scores is then:
Mr. Heck: Same
Rick: 0067  (+2 DR)
Alley Sam: 0027 (+7 DR) (Alley Sam switched DP and FW stats)
Barty: 4337 (+6DR) (Barty switched DP and FW stats)

Is This correctly understood

Given they are all on one network, is there any reason they can’t use all of Mr. Heck’s attributes? So they would all be 7667?

Only for defense... doing anything offensively would still be going through their personal gear
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

SDTroll

• Newb
« Reply #61 on: <11-20-19/0854:34> »
Given they are all on one network, is there any reason they can’t use all of Mr. Heck’s attributes? So they would all be 7667?

Only for defense... doing anything offensively would still be going through their personal gear

So they are all on the same network for defense, but not for offense? How does that work with device limits? Do they each count as one device for Mr. Heck, then take care of their own devices with their personal DP?

Sorry about all the questions. In 40 years of RPGs, this is the first game to make me feel old and stupid. 😭

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #62 on: <11-20-19/0859:20> »

So they are all on the same network for defense, but not for offense? How does that work with device limits? Do they each count as one device for Mr. Heck, then take care of their own devices with their personal DP?

Sorry about all the questions. In 40 years of RPGs, this is the first game to make me feel old and stupid. 😭

Yes they each count as one for Mr Heck

No worries, and honestly give yourself some credit and don't second guess yourself too much other then a few things here and there about all of done is confirm you had it right. 😉
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

SDTroll

• Newb
« Reply #63 on: <11-20-19/0905:12> »

Yes they each count as one for Mr Heck

No worries, and honestly give yourself some credit and don't second guess yourself too much other then a few things here and there about all of done is confirm you had it right. 😉

I think I have the rules down well enough to run it if I had any players, but every time I try to guess how a vague rule should be interpreted, I’m wrong. And, apparently, I somehow messed up the quote box. 😀😀
« Last Edit: <11-20-19/0909:03> by SDTroll »

SDTroll

• Newb
« Reply #64 on: <11-20-19/0913:13> »
So, how do technomancers, without the Living Network echo, fit into this? Or are they on their own completely? I assume they would at least be able to hook their devices in, maybe through a commlink? With a commlink they would count as one device for the decker, without all their devices would need to be signed to someone? Could they still control their devices as an owner, even if they are on someone else’s commlink?

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #65 on: <11-20-19/0938:21> »
So, how do technomancers, without the Living Network echo, fit into this? Or are they on their own completely? I assume they would at least be able to hook their devices in, maybe through a commlink? With a commlink they would count as one device for the decker, without all their devices would need to be signed to someone? Could they still control their devices as an owner, even if they are on someone else’s commlink?

Yeah, they kind of got hosed and can't join a PAN until they get Living Nerwork ..  which I tried to make a Complex Form so it wasn't locked behind submersion. Skinlink would also allow them to form a direct PAN for their own gear but not join a party network.
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

SDTroll

• Newb
« Reply #66 on: <11-20-19/0945:43> »

Yeah, they kind of got hosed and can't join a PAN until they get Living Nerwork ..  which I tried to make a Complex Form so it wasn't locked behind submersion. Skinlink would also allow them to form a direct PAN for their own gear but not join a party network.

What about the second part? If they put their devices on someone else’s commlink, can they use them as an owner?

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #67 on: <11-20-19/0959:59> »

What about the second part? If they put their devices on someone else’s commlink, can they use them as an owner?

I would say no, but also say why would they? They can defend their own commlink just fine, with the one small caveat that they can't use their living persona firewall unless they have skknlink or living network which puts them in the same boat as any other runner.
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

SDTroll

• Newb
« Reply #68 on: <11-20-19/1009:12> »

I would say no, but also say why would they? They can defend their own commlink just fine, with the one small caveat that they can't use their living persona firewall unless they have skknlink or living network which puts them in the same boat as any other runner.

Which means the best defense roll they can have for their devices is 4 dice, right?  Compared to the 13-17 dice a decker can give the group, that's pretty weak.  I suppose the best would be get a commlink and stick it in the decker's network with your devices on it.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #69 on: <11-20-19/1017:17> »

Which means the best defense roll they can have for their devices is 4 dice, right?  Compared to the 13-17 dice a decker can give the group, that's pretty weak.  I suppose the best would be get a commlink and stick it in the decker's network with your devices on it.

They can still add willpower like anyone else which means thay are most likely in the 8 to 10 range. Not as good as a decker but decent, and yeah if the team has a decker or rigger set up to matrix defense they would be just as well off as anyone else to run their commlink through them just like the other team members would.
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

SDTroll

• Newb
« Reply #70 on: <11-20-19/1020:47> »

They can still add willpower like anyone else which means thay are most likely in the 8 to 10 range. Not as good as a decker but decent, and yeah if the team has a decker or rigger set up to matrix defense they would be just as well off as anyone else to run their commlink through them just like the other team members would.

Data spike lists DP and FW as defense, no mention of willpower.  What did I miss now?

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #71 on: <11-20-19/1026:18> »
No, your right ... I was thinking in more general hacking terms ... but still the point is they are in the same situation as any other runner that doesn't have decker gear
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

SDTroll

• Newb
« Reply #72 on: <11-20-19/1035:59> »
True, it’s just they are supposed to fill the decker role. Having a decker and a technomancer in the same group seems redundant

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #73 on: <11-20-19/1046:37> »
True, it’s just they are supposed to fill the decker role. Having a decker and a technomancer in the same group seems redundant

Sort of ... they are actually more of a matrix generalist that can go multiple directions and having both on a team working together can really dominate the matrix.

But yes, and once the get living network they would be just fine running the team matrix defense... which is why I hate that its blocked behind submersion but at least it's a minimal investment and shouldn't take more than 2 missions to get
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team