AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <06-18-19/2223:13> »
Done

Singularity

• Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <06-19-19/0918:07> »
I would be happy to take the survey, but I don't know any of the various edition's systems, and thus couldn't give decent feedback.  :-\

please take it anyway, it is not about the editions or variations between them per se ... just what you want to see continuing to be used.

I took the survey. Things I had no idea about I put in the middle of the rankings, and the rest I tried to answer as best as I could from what little I've picked up in the forums. I'll be able to answer better in the future once I get the boxed set and then eventually the main rulebook. It might be a good idea to run this same survey again after the release of the main rulebook, say 2-3 months after it releases everywhere, so that people have time to get used to the new system and get the kinks worked out.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <06-19-19/1411:09> »
The results so far. 556 responses so far and I am keeping it open since people are still responding.
Quick summary is that setting is obviously far more important than the mechanics .. but the mechanics need to work well (well duh .. I didn't need this survey to tell me that  ;))
Explanation of what I am using as a standard then.
4.5 or higher = sacred ground (don't mess with it in anyway)
4.0-4.49 = very significant (better have a damn good reason for anything more than a superficial minor change)
3.50-3.99 = fairly important (better keep the basics in tact or else)
3.00-3.49 = good stuff (don't let it go away but some change isn't bad)
2.99 and below = insignificant

Mechanics(0) vs. Setting(100): 68
Survey Questions (1-not a factor to 5-very important)
D6 System: 3.26
Rolling large pools of dice: 2.82
Attribute + Skill: 3.67
Individual hits per dice (as opposed to sum total of dice): 3.24
Glitches and critical glitches: 3.38
Simple tests: 3.44
Opposed tests: 3.71
Specifically- Attack vs Defense: 3.26
Extended tests: 2.94
Teamwork tests: 3.15
Multiple detailed attributes: 3.83
Special Attributes: 3.94
Specifically-Edge: 3.52
Soak rolls: 3.13
Condition monitor/wound levels: 3.77
Separate physical and stun damage tracks: 3.69
Simplified skills: 3.24
Detailed skills and options: 3.49
Multiple pass initiative: 3.32
Flexible character generation: 4.60
Detailed gear options: 4.15
Flexible/open magic system: 4.29
Unified game clock: 4.09
Detailed combat and tactic options: 3.85

Fantasypunk setting: 4.70
Dystopian future: 4.45
Corporate intrigue: 4.49
SINless masses: 4.14
Magic: 4.37
Spirits: 3.88
Adepts: 3.88
Metahuman races and variants: 4.49
Awakened Politics: 3.87
Cyber/Bio ware: 4.71
Matrix: 4.47
Technomancers: 3.05
Riggers: 4.13

Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #18 on: <06-19-19/1414:39> »
So much hate for TMs...  :'(
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #19 on: <06-19-19/1432:07> »
Very interesting, large pools seemed to be the lowest followed by extended tests, That’s fascinating. People like cyber ware a little more then magic not very surprising there. That spirits and adepts have the same rating is also interesting.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #20 on: <06-19-19/1445:03> »
So much hate for TMs...  :'(

I'll I'm the first that would like to see them die in a fire, that may not be what people are saying...
They ranked a 3.05, so there is an interest, but that interest may be saying they need work (which we can all admit they do!), not that they are disliked.

Except for  me, I have a pale, lighter fluid, and bucket of water for the Technomancer draft going back to 4e....
But I also admit I'm a minority, so I'll go back to my corner now...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #21 on: <06-19-19/1452:07> »
They're the third lowest rated so...  :P

One day I'll introduce a flaming TM and name him Reaver in your honour.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #22 on: <06-19-19/1459:54> »
I think I rated technomancers a 2 or 3, not because I hate them but because I don't find them core to the game.  I like having them, but if they disappeared ('the new-new-NEW matrix is not compatible with technomancers, so they are just ordinary people now') I think the game could still be recognizably ShadowRun.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <06-19-19/1536:34> »
I rated them Zero.

I see no need for deckless deckers.
« Last Edit: <06-19-19/1538:13> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <06-19-19/1600:45> »
What interests me is that there doesn't seem to be many universally accepted "must have" game mechanics.  Flexible chargen, flexible magic, detailed gear and unified game clock are the only items to break past 4.0.  OTOH it seems like almost all the settings items are considered "must have" by a large majority.  Of course we wouldn't all be here if it weren't for the setting elements I guess. 

On another note at least flaming TM's would be able to provide something useful; heat and light.   :D

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #25 on: <06-19-19/1822:32> »
I used to be on the technomancer hate wagon, though now I’ve reached a slightly higher level of tolerance. Still I wouldn’t mind if they completely disappeared as they are the kind of mix of magic and technology that originally the settings was against. Technology drained magic, magic couldn’t affect technology so well but now here we have technomancers who can ignore technology’s effect on their “magic”.

Come to think of it, I probably would prefer that they vanished with the new matrix. Null sect having killed them all. Please?
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

tenchi2a

• Chummer
« Reply #26 on: <06-19-19/1907:31> »
I used to be on the technomancer hate wagon, though now I’ve reached a slightly higher level of tolerance. Still I wouldn’t mind if they completely disappeared as they are the kind of mix of magic and technology that originally the settings was against. Technology drained magic, magic couldn’t affect technology so well but now here we have technomancers who can ignore technology’s effect on their “magic”.

Come to think of it, I probably would prefer that they vanished with the new matrix. Null sect having killed them all. Please?

I have to second this, TM have never made any sense in the game as has been stated tech trends to cancel out magic.
How can Magic interact with technology in this way when you lose essence for replacing a lost finger lol.

Abider

« Reply #27 on: <06-19-19/2042:55> »

I have to second this, TM have never made any sense in the game as has been stated tech trends to cancel out magic.
How can Magic interact with technology in this way when you lose essence for replacing a lost finger lol.

I rated TMs very low but just killing them all seems sloppy.  If the Null Sect could pull that off they could rampage across the world and I am really opposed to another Crash or some sort of apocalyptic Matrix war story also seems bad.  TMs aren’t something I like but don’t blow up the world to remove them.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #28 on: <06-19-19/2050:46> »
Quote from: 2080, The Neo-Anarchist Streetpedia, p. 98
This is your destiny, metahumanity. Don’t be afraid of it. It is an exciting moment not only for you, but the universe. Play nice.
–S

> That’s a whole lot of crazy, but the opening and closing make my blood run cold. Someone is messing with us. The question is, in what direction?
> Kay St. Irregular

> I spend a lot of time with Resonance, and I can’t say this squares with my impressions. But for some reason, I can’t help but wonder if that’s my problem, not this writer’s.
> Netcat

> I side with Kay. This is crazy.
> Pistons

> As was the Awakening.
> Man-of-Many-Names

Quote from: 2055, Denver: The City of Shadows, p. 73-74
>>>>>(By the way, I've kept this one secret for some time now, but considering this discussion, why not re-post it. I originally found it on Shadowland back in 2011, tucked away on the introduction board where new hackers logged on to introduce themselves. It somehow was lost in all the furor of the dragons' first appearances—that same day, Shadowland purged the intro board of storage memory to free memory for the messages pouring into other areas. (They had, and still have, echoes from many other boards running at the time.) Here it is, exactly as I downloaded it at the time:

MESBASE: 102/a
     DATE/TIME: 00:00:01/12-24-11
     AUTHOR: >>STRUCTURE ERROR 0208<<
     ROUTING: >>ROUTING ERROR 8092<<
     SUBJECT: <unknown>
         Good morning world. Welcome back. Play nice.
                   —Saeletra

That's exactly as it appeared. Now, I could simply be paranoid, but the message seems to indicate an existing knowledge of the Awakening. Sure, I've read the blather about “immortal elves” and such drek, but to this day something about that post still chills my blood.)<<<<<
     —FastJack (01:16:45/5-19-55)

Remember, as much as you may "hate" technomancers, William Gibson hates Shadowrun even more. As much as you'd love to get rid of them from the game, there's another person that wants to get rid of Great Dragons and Immortal Elves. Every time you hate on Netcat, someone else hates on FastJack, and someone else hates on Sam Werner.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #29 on: <06-19-19/2108:33> »
I rated TMs at 3, not hating on them or anything just thought they could use improvement.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking