NEWS

Shadows of Europe OCR PDF?

• 20 Replies

adzling

« on: <04-13-16/1500:37> »
Hi, anyone know where I can acquire/ purchase a copy of Shadows of Europe, the old 2003 Fan Pro sourcebook in a PDF format that has real OCR text (not just a jpg scan)?

I checked Catalyst's store and Drivethrurpg but they don't offer it (just the fan pro Shadows of North America).

I ran into a few copies online that are jpg scans but they are useless to me, I need the text.

If you know where I can get my hands on a copy let me know ;-)

+ I assume this is the most recent sourcebook for Europe, am I correct in that?

thanks

Xexanoth

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <04-13-16/1554:31> »
It's the latest Europe Soucebook(there is a german only ADL 4ED), but since FanPro doesn't hold the license anymore you're propably not gonna be able to get it anymore.

adzling

« Reply #2 on: <04-13-16/1613:34> »
Yeah Catalyst and drivethruRPG offers some OCR'd fanpro PDFs like Shadows of North America, just not Shadows of Europe.

There are sources online for the jpeg'd PDF but that doesn't help me, I need one with the text in ascii so I can extract it.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <04-13-16/2202:25> »
What is it that you need to extract? (And why, because that's an odd request!)

adzling

« Reply #4 on: <04-13-16/2205:32> »
check out my other thread in this sub ;-)

I'm scraping the content from my sourcebooks into our table's Realmworks database.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <04-14-16/1747:42> »
We're looking into it. Stand by.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

adzling

« Reply #6 on: <04-15-16/1129:36> »
Awesome thanks, there's just no source to buy it online anywhere.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <04-15-16/1216:53> »
It's a real shame, too. There's some important material in SOE.

adzling

« Reply #8 on: <04-15-16/1229:30> »
Yar, our campaign will be heading there soonish and I need that setting info ;-)

Duellist_D

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <04-16-16/1250:44> »
If you already have a no-text image version of it, you could try running an OCR Software over it.
I'm regularily digitalising Documents with Microsofts Office-Lense and the OCR-Quality is absolutely surprising.
Now, thats probably no Software thats available for free but there are plenty of free OCR Programs out there.
You could also go through google, their docs cloudapp has the option to run OCR over various document files, including PDF.

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <04-22-16/0754:49> »
If by chance you read french, you can find a copy on Black Book Edition (the french editor) website.
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

adzling

« Reply #11 on: <04-22-16/1127:33> »
Although I took a lot of French in high school it's mostly all gone and unfortunately not an option for me to translate an entire book.

thanks for the pointer thought ;-)

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <04-29-16/0736:45> »
Yeah I knew it was a long shot  ;)
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #13 on: <04-29-16/1021:20> »
If by chance you read french, you can find a copy on Black Book Edition (the french editor) website.

It says that the french edition has material added back in that was cut from the original english version.  I think my french should still be up to the task (in a pinch my son is far more fluent than I am and also a SR player, so can help me out).   But I'm curious if anyone who has looked at both versions can comment on how much extra material is in the French one (i.e. how much extra do I get for the struggle of working in a language I haven't used much in the last couple of decades?)

Sadly it looks like the hardcopy are sold out, but 10 euros for the PDF sounds reasonable,

adzling

« Reply #14 on: <04-29-16/1047:34> »
hehe well if you do decide to translate the dang thing please send me the text output so I can enter into my Realm ;-)
I already own the non-OCR PDF so no issue about pirating here...

cheers!