NEWS

Smartgun / Smartlink - What does it actually do?

• 75 Replies

Highroller86

• Newb
« on: <01-03-16/1013:30> »
So yeah... Smartgun... Allright... I guess everybody knows it, a lot of you used it at some point,
but what the drek is it actually doing?
All i can get from da rulez (5th edition), is an increase in accuracy (+2) and (when utilizing the wireless bonus)
you get a +2 dice pool modifier for attacks with that gun... (Or +1 if you're a total wuss who is scared of cyber surgery (or a mage)).
Aaanyway...
Thing is: I've seen certain examples (in the core rules) where they mentioned Smartgun / Smartlink giving a bonus to recoil compensation,
or reducing penalty for strong wind... And also something about the take aim action where you'd normaly get EITHER +1 acc OR +1 dice pool.

So what i am asking you guys and gals is: Can someone out there sum up all of Smartgun / Smartlinks benefits for a dumdum like me?
Seriously... I can't figure it out. My [Logic] racial max for this is like... 3! I am not even the one writing this text. Ima troll with crayons
between his toes making pictures of what i want to know for the mental clinic personal! Halp!

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <01-03-16/1135:56> »
Incorporating a small camera and laser range finder, the
smartlink keeps track of ammunition, heat buildup, and
material stress

now for mechanical bonuses inherit to it regardless if wired or wiredless

you can mentally switch between gun modes, eject a clip, and fire
the gun without pulling the trigger. The camera lets
you shoot around corners without exposing yourself
to return fire (at a –3 dice pool penalty).

the smartgun system increases the gun’s Accuracy by 2
Provided you use an image link or wireless connection

Wireless bonus +1 +2 to dice pool tests using the weapon
if you use gear or cyber ware
Ejecting a clip and changing fire modes are Free Actions

it does all than and if theres wind modifers it shifts one row up

Marcus Gideon

• Omae
  • Certainly not a Technomancer...
« Reply #2 on: <01-03-16/1229:37> »
Like Rooks said... the laser range finder and blah blah blah accounts for the Accuracy bonus.

The wireless bonus, and the wind adjustment is from the Gun itself connecting to the Matrix and getting up-to-date weather info.

Core pg 175, Wind
Wind speed can be a factor at the shooter’s position, the target’s position, and any position in between. Wind modifiers are mitigated by smartlink accessories that calculate adjustments before the shot

Core pg 214, The Matrix
Everybody uses the Matrix. Most shadowrunners have multiple pieces of gear that use it, often interacting with the Matrix without them knowing it. Smartlinks use it to look up local conditions and calculate firing solutions

However... the most "important" features that everyone attributes to Smartguns, are really features that every gun comes with standard.

Core pg 424, Firearms
Firearms come with wireless capability and a digital ammunition counter. Ammunition (p. 433) is sold separately. All firearms have the following wireless bonuses in addition to any wireless bonuses on each model:

Wireless: The weapon displays an ARO that tells you ammo levels and ammo type loaded. If you have a DNI, you get two additional benefits. First, ejecting a clip (for weapons that have them) is a Free Action rather than a Simple Action. Second, changing fire modes (on models that have more than one) is a Free Action rather than a Simple Action.
So when the Smartgun text talks about ejecting the magazine and switching fire modes... it's just repeating things you could have done anyway.

The only things a Smartgun adds, is the Accuracy bonus, the bonus to attack, and the Wind mitigation, and a camera (for corner shots, or shooting in the dark if you get it modded with Low-Light or Thermo).
The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work…when you go to church…when you pay your taxes.

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-03-16/1310:08> »
The wireless bonus makes more sense if it connects to the bullets it is firing rather than to the general matrix.  The idea is that the bullet sends back a signal until impact.  The smartgun ballistics computer can take the actual impact and compare it to the predicted impact and thus make a correction.  This is the same way that snipers use spotters.  In this way, all the environmental conditions apply and then get corrected with real world conditions  rather than some computer model. 

The downside to this is that logically, it shouldn't apply to the first round fired at a target/environmental condition.  However, most people are using automatics so this can be mitigated by the other rounds. 

Highroller86

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <01-03-16/1314:50> »
Alright! I think i got it now, thanks! :)
Turns out the +2RC i mentioned was for the (Ingram)-Smartgun... The SMG... Not for the Smartgun system.

By the way... (And sorry for Off-Topic) Is there like... An Arsenal for SR5 out already?
I know SR3 and SR4 had their own, so... :-\

Marcus Gideon

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <01-03-16/1318:36> »
The wireless bonus makes more sense if it connects to the bullets it is firing rather than to the general matrix.  The idea is that the bullet sends back a signal until impact.  The smartgun ballistics computer can take the actual impact and compare it to the predicted impact and thus make a correction.  This is the same way that snipers use spotters.  In this way, all the environmental conditions apply and then get corrected with real world conditions  rather than some computer model. 

The downside to this is that logically, it shouldn't apply to the first round fired at a target/environmental condition.  However, most people are using automatics so this can be mitigated by the other rounds. 

Which is how Smartlink works in conjunction with Throwing Knives. Down to the "doesn't work for the first one thrown." But... I know some combats that don't last past the first Initiative roll, so people expect every bullet to count.

Alright! I think i got it now, thanks! :)
Turns out the +2RC i mentioned was for the (Ingram)-Smartgun... The SMG... Not for the Smartgun system.

By the way... (And sorry for Off-Topic) Is there like... An Arsenal for SR5 out already?
I know SR3 and SR4 had their own, so... :-\
Right... the Ingram Smartgun has a lot of accessories built in. So you have to look at the combined bonuses, and recognize which accessory gave what.

SR5 has Run & Gun and a couple Gun H(e)aven books. That's about all you get for new guns so far.
« Last Edit: <01-03-16/1320:22> by Marcus Gideon »
The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work…when you go to church…when you pay your taxes.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <01-04-16/1221:23> »
now what I dont get is for drones do you need to buy the smart link as a sensor then the smart link ascyberware/visual mod for your glasses and the like now theres also the smart soft and what does that do plus theres a senor upgrade for a single sensor, well smartlink is a sensor but what does that entail? is it just a camera feed is it thermal graphic can you see in the dar k ith it?

Marcus Gideon

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <01-04-16/2149:09> »
Rigger 5.0 pg 127, Smartsoft
This is the same smartlink provided in eyeware or video enhancements, integrated into the sensors of a vehicle or drone. The Smartsoft is considered a Rating 3 autosoft and allows the full use of smart weapons.
According to that, you just run the Autosoft. It automatically incorporates itself into whatever sensors the drone has, and lets it use Smartguns. Now that doesn't mean that every weapon fitted becomes a Smartgun, just that any with the accessory already, will count.

When you install Smartlink in your Eyeware, you're just installing the program that creates the heads-up display and processes the data from the Gun. The sensors and stuff are in the Gun, which includes a camera that you can mod. So if you pay extra to add Thermal to the camera in your Gun, you can do that. It means you can see in the dark, so long as you're pointing your gun at it.

Strange

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <01-05-16/0359:54> »
the smartgun system increases the gun’s Accuracy by 2
Provided you use an image link or wireless connection
You have to have an image link or wireless turned on for this?  Isn't that what the smartlink eyeware is for?

Gatlack

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <01-05-16/0511:06> »
I stumbled across this:

Quote from: SR5, p. 178
WIRELESS SMARTGUN
A wireless smartgun connection provides an assortment
of bonuses, but this table only provides the bonus you get
while using it to attack. When aiming (using the Take Aim
action) with a smartgun system the shooter gets both bo-
nuses with each action of aiming.

Emphasis mine. I never noticed this before, but if I take the aiming action, I could get up to +3 dice for each single action that I spend aiming with a wireless smartgun.

Adamo1618

« Reply #10 on: <01-05-16/0738:44> »
I stumbled across this:

WIRELESS SMARTGUN

Emphasis mine. I never noticed this before, but if I take the aiming action, I could get up to +3 dice for each single action that I spend aiming with a wireless smartgun.
Gonna rain on your parade here and clarify that it refers to the Accuracy/Dice Pool bonus. Every Take Aim action gives you +1 Acc and +1 die, whereas not having a smartgun only gives you one of the with each Take Aim action.

Gatlack

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <01-05-16/0912:20> »
I stumbled across this:

WIRELESS SMARTGUN

Gonna rain on your parade here and clarify that it refers to the Accuracy/Dice Pool bonus. Every Take Aim action gives you +1 Acc and +1 die, whereas not having a smartgun only gives you one of the with each Take Aim action.
I did read the german book first, which translated it into my statement. To be fair, it can be read both ways. Wouldn't be the first translation issue. So which one is it?

Adamo1618

« Reply #12 on: <01-05-16/0923:41> »
Take Aim action, page 166 in Core:
"The maximum bonus a character may gain from sequential Take Aim actions, either to her limit or her dice pool, is equal to one-half the character’s Willpower, rounded up. Each Take Aim action applies a +1 dice pool modifier or +1 Accuracy increase to the Attack Test."

Wireless Smartgun, page 178 in Core:
"A wireless smartgun connection provides an assortment of bonuses, but this table only provides the bonus you get while using it to attack. When aiming (using the Take Aim action) with a smartgun system the shooter gets both bonuses with each action of aiming."

Why would it give +3 dice?

Gatlack

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <01-05-16/1021:15> »
Because the paragraph about "Wireless Smartgun" talks about "gets both bonuses", which could reference the bonus from a wireless smartgun (+1/+2) and the bonus from aiming (either +1 acc or +1 die), which then are both applied for each simple action you spend on aiming.

So with the right cybergear and taking the option of +1 die from the "Take aim action" I could get +3 dice.

That's how I got to "up to 3 dice for each single action".

Marcus Gideon

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <01-05-16/1111:55> »
Yes, if you have a Smartgun, you get +2 Accuracy (usually factored in already) and +1/+2 to attack (depending whether you're using implanted Smartlink or just Eyeware). On top of that, Take Aim gives you +1 Accuracy AND +1 attack. So in total, you would have +3 Accuracy and +3 attack (assuming implant). So yes, there is are +3's in the equation.

The "argument" may have been in thinking that somehow, every time you Take Aim, you would add another +3 to the roll. Which is not the case, since Take Aim only builds a cumulative +1/+1 up to half your Willpower's worth. So a gunner with Willpower 4 can Take Aim twice at the most. Which would be +4 Accuracy and +4 attack, total.
« Last Edit: <01-05-16/1742:35> by Marcus Gideon »