NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter IV

• 1011 Replies

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #30 on: <06-04-15/1830:35> »
Ok, Sam's gonna spend 6 of his karma on 2 points of counterspelling if that's cool. Was planning on playing it like, that's just part of him waking up.
If that's cool, he's gonna immediately spend a point of edge to push the limit and attempt to dispell the shackles on him. Yes, i realize this will likely result in no affect and a whole shit ton of drain, but Sam doesn't know that. All Sam knows is that he wants to eat Chino and if he's still standing after taking all this drain, regardless of how low his agility is, he's gonna go for him. So, here goes my roll.

Tear these foul things from me! (Mag 1 + Counterspelling 2 + Edge 4): 7d6t5 2

Whoops, forgot to do the exploding 6's.

2 Whoops dice: 2d6h5 0

Ok, so the spell is rolling, what? 18 dice to resist if I'm correct? However that goes, Sam now has to soak 10P in drain! Yay! I'm not sure what stats to roll, as I don't know his tradition. Even if he eats all 10 though, he's still up and functioning. I feel like it's time for initiative? If so...

Initiative: 2d6+11 22

[spoiler]I actually quite hate in-party fighting, but I REALLY feel like Sam wants to eat Chino. If yall would rather not go down this path, i can go another way with him.[/spoiler]

« Last Edit: <06-04-15/1833:24> by Poindexter »
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #31 on: <06-04-15/1853:23> »
It doesn't look like it's going to get far, but I'm fine with it so long as it doesn't become a significant part of the campaign. The occasional infighting is fine, especially since it is directed at what os mostly an NPC at this point anyway.

Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #32 on: <06-04-15/2112:35> »
The occasional infighting is fine, especially since it is directed at what os mostly an NPC at this point anyway.

My thoughts exactly.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <06-04-15/2245:46> »
++ on the infighting, especially as I've engaged in it already.

I've got an IC post with Doc's thought on best actions coming up.
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <06-05-15/0149:56> »
The nature of Sam's counterspelling is from the Magical Guard ability that fomóraig have. This allows them to use counterspelling and dispelling, but only to themselves. (Sam cannot counterspell a spell aimed at Ace, for example.)

Dispelling is resisted by the spell's Force + Caster's Magic, which is 18 dice. The net hits go to offset the hits of the original spell, which is 6 in this case.

Spell resist: Magic 6 + Force 12: 18d6t5 4 hits

Sam doesn't make any headway on the dispelling attempt and now needs to soak 10P. He has good Willpower so maybe he can take the sting out of this a bit.

Soak roll: Willpower 7 + Charisma 3: 10d6t5 4 hits, Sam takes 6P but might not even notice due to his damage compensators and the internal nature of the damage.

Per the disadvantage of his Bear mentor spirit, Sam must now resist going berserk. He will go berserk for 3 turns minus hits on a Willpower+Charisma test.

Berserk? Willpower 7 + Charisma 3: 10d6t5 2 hits. Sam goes crazy for one Combat Turn!

While in his craze, Sam's Physical attributes are all raised +1 while all his Mental attributes are reduced by -1. Sam has the Berserk adept ability.

There is no effect on his Initiative roll as the bonuses to Reaction and Intuition offset.

Everyone, please roll initiative. @Poindexter, go ahead and declare your actions and roll. Nobody can beat Sam's score (although Chino could tie) unless they use Seize the Initiative.

CT1 IP1
Sam: 22
Katsina: 15
Ohanzee: 10
« Last Edit: <06-05-15/0325:00> by Tecumseh »

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #35 on: <06-05-15/0317:01> »
Initiative: 3d6+11 19
Cut in half makes 10.
« Last Edit: <06-05-15/0318:38> by Malevolence »
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #36 on: <06-05-15/1200:08> »
Ace: Initiative: 8+2d6 15

Chino: Initiative: 10+2d6 21
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #37 on: <06-05-15/1209:43> »
initiative (Rea 4 + Int 4 = 8 + 1d6): 1d6+8 10
If Ganglia helps with Init then it's an 11.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <06-05-15/1259:57> »
CT1 IP1
Chino: 21
Ace: 15
Doc: 10

Action to Poindexter.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #39 on: <06-05-15/1731:15> »
Sam will...

Move: Toward Chino
Complex action: Charge attack with bite against Chino. Woulda spent edge if I had any left. Eat Chino (Agi 2 + Unarmed 3 + Charge 2): 7d6t5 1 Hahaha!
Free action: Say horrible horrible things to Chino in russian.

I'll get an IC post up real soon.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #40 on: <06-05-15/1753:01> »
Chino's Defense Test: 10d6t5 3

5 1s. We're counting glitches as more than half, right?
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #41 on: <06-05-15/1757:56> »
@rednblack
Correct, glitches are >50%.

HOWEVER, Chino gets +1 to defend since a bite is Reach -1. Let's see if that extra dice makes him glitch!

Reach bonus: 1d6t5 0 hits, it's a 4, how disappointing.

It's up to you how seriously Chino takes this. He can either laugh it off and make fun of the situation or he can go bonkers.

It hasn't come up in play yet because I didn't want to rob anyone of their PC's agency, but the nanites have a strong interest in the survival of their host. If a carrier is knocked unconcious, the nanites can hotwire the brain (so to speak) and pilot the body to safety. Similarly, the nanites can be used to provide a form of attribute boost. Here's the crunch:

Attribute Boost
Simple Action. Roll nanite volume (see below). Hits can be used to boost Physical attributes (+1 per hit, user's choice which attribute) for a number of CTs equal to the hits. After that, the user takes Stun damage equal to the boost, no soak.

Toxin Resistance
Users add their Nanite Volume to any Toxin Resistance Test or Damage Resistance versus a sickness or toxin.

Adrenal Control
If Physical Condition Monitor is full: Make a Willpower + Nanite Volume (2) test every Combat Turn to stay conscious.
If Stun Condition Monitor is full: Make a simple Nanite Volume test. Reduce your current Stun monitor by the number of hits on the roll. Effect lasts for minutes = hits. When the time expires, you get the damage back plus 1 additional box for each time you've made this test.

Nanite Volume
Doc - 10
Chino - 6
Ohanzee - 3
Ace - 0 (technically 0.1 or something but not enough to enjoy the benefits)
Sam - 0
Katsina - 0

Doc is far enough along in his research that he could identify these patterns, so we don't have to stress ourselves too hard to maintain strict IC/OOC separation of the above.

CT1 IP1
Chino: 21
Ace: 15
Doc: 10

Action is to Chino.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #42 on: <06-05-15/1806:45> »
Does this mean Doc know's he's got CFD?

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #43 on: <06-05-15/1821:02> »
I went ahead and rolled Composure for Chino.  I'm curious how he's going to respond as well.

Composure: 8d6t5 2

Well, I don't think he's going to laugh it off, but it doesn't look like he's going to flat-out go into a rage either.

I kinda feel like Chino would like to give Sam a good hard pop in Astral Combat to teach him a lesson.  How exactly would that work?  Since Sam is dual-natured, I know it'll work, but he needs to spend an action to Astrally Perceive, right? 
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <06-05-15/1827:10> »
@Zweiblumen
At this point in the canon (February 2075), CFD has not been expressly diagnosed. It should be strange and mysterious to your PCs, something you've never heard of.

For reference, Stolen Souls - which provides most of the information on CFD - is set in April 2076. The information Stolen Souls provides is based on 12+ months of research, so congrats: Doc is on the cutting edge!

It's possible that Boston Lockdown updates the canon timeline but I don't have it yet. As it is, I'm working with what Ryo gave us, which is based on what he understood of the canon world at the beginning of the game.

@rednblack
Correct, Chino needs to be astrally perceiving to pop Sam. He needs to spend a Simple Action to activate his qi focus. (I told 8-bit that he didn't need to spend two separate Simples to both activate the focus and then begin astrally perceiving. One Simple will take care of both.)

I'm not sure the book expressly says so, but Astral Combat is a Complex action.