NEWS

Vincent Axew (Vexboy) (First Character Ever. Go easy chummers)

• 34 Replies

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
  • When in doubt, blame the dragons.
« on: <05-15-15/1056:45> »
So here is Vexboy 2.0. Ex Lone Star "Homicide Detective" (Bounty Hunter) and disciple of The Dragonslayer. He started out when he was seven and found that his jumping ability had suddenly improved beyond that of his peers(to the jealousy of a few). This coupled with his daydreaming habits made him a rather easy target. Until he was about 14 and an incident involving humiliation in front of his love intrest made him snap. Or rather the other guy's wrist got snapped, or maybe it was his spine. Vex was kinda seeing red so he didn't really remember much. The other guy lived though. Vex can't remember why, maybe it was how he chased down the drekskin's buddies on foot and took them down with his seemingly inhuman reaction timing, but his school had him tested and sure enough he had Awakened that day. But life ain't easy when your parents are part of a policlub that despises The Awakened. He got kicked out and lived a year on the streets. But ever since he fought off his tormentors he had felt someone looking over his shoulder. And oddly being in constant danger and having to be sneaky felt right. Like an adventure. He had one thing going for him, a National Sin. So when he found out that Lone Star was looking for recruits, stealing food only fills one up so much, he joined. He found favor in a homicide detective named Sasha Albright, who thought his innate gifts might be trained to greater effect and became her assistant. She helped with his studies, taught him to shoot(Pistols became his weapon of choice and he even learned to melee with them), and she even let him stay at her place. He spent the next 4 years assisting her and learning new skills while "investigating homicides". Turns out she was a mage whose purpose was to hunt serial killers and other unsavory characters before any freelancers could collect the bounty. Make Lone Star look good and the like. Scary 4 years of life. Sociopaths in the Sixth World... they ain't right even by the standards of the 5th world. They were a brilliant team. Best around. So the other detectives decided to... even the odds. Got him fired. It was at this point The Dragonslayer revealed itself to Vincent and told him the only logical choice was to become a Shadowrunner. Fortunately for Vex, despite being in Lone Star he had little contact or anything to do with Shadowrunners. Unfortunately for that same reason he had no idea where to start. He found a fixer who gave him some stupid runs(Courier runs mostly, which some were LITERALLY  runs from A to B with a package.) But he was ready for real adventure. Something challenging. He only could hope and wait until his chance to break out with a real run. Something to let others in the bar know him more then: "That guy with the Dodge Scoot that runs a lot." Here's hoping.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByD-InYAqqCYMUo2c3pFVWVJVHM/edit?usp=docslist_api

If there is a text sheet I need to fill out please link it otherwise this is my character thus far.
« Last Edit: <05-15-15/1125:03> by Raiderjoseph »
From To<<Matrix message>>
Thoughts
Mentor
"As a Mage I have no issue with 'shoot the face first'. He deserves it and it's about time they stopped targeting me right from the go." -The Tekwych

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <05-15-15/1147:26> »
I kind of get what you're trying to do here but it's not the most effective.

BOD is better as an odd number for how damage boxes are calculated.

CHA 3 is kind of a waste, you have no skills for it. You'd want at least Etiquette 1.

INT 1 is awful. AWFUL. Bad initiative, bad dodging, bad Perception. INT more than LOG is what a cop needs! This should be 4-5.

First Aid 2 is generally useless. You can heal up to 2 boxes. With LOG 3 you probably won't beat the threshold. Get a couple medkits, R3 and R6, instead.

Running is actually not that useful. Perception is too low.

Is Dragonslayer popular because of the video game? Honestly there are much better mentors. Enhanced Accuracy isn't so good. With a good pistol and smart link/gun you're not going to hit an 8 limit reliably anyway. 

Pistols is kind of a weak skill anyway considering Automatics gives machine pistols as well as SMGs and ARs.

Outdoors group is niche. Most games overwhelmingly occur in cities. Tracking is better just bought on its own.

Is pistol whipping even an allowed thing? Some of those powers are ok if fairly niche. Improved Ability to Pistols (or go Automatics and put it there) would be better.

You have a lot devoted to unarmed combat but with STR 3 your melee fighting is pretty crappy and +1 damage to a "pistol whip" ain't changing that. Improved Reflexes 3 is pretty good though perhaps overkill for chargen. You need to note your base REA and REA after the power. Is your base REA 3 and with the power 6, or is it 6/9? This is necessary to know.

Your contacts are all kind of in the same fields and that's not the most helpful. I'd even drop one and make the others better.
Playability > verisimilitude.

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <05-15-15/1203:55> »
I kind of get what you're trying to do here but it's not the most effective.

BOD is better as an odd number for how damage boxes are calculated.

CHA 3 is kind of a waste, you have no skills for it. You'd want at least Etiquette 1.

INT 1 is awful. AWFUL. Bad initiative, bad dodging, bad Perception. INT more than LOG is what a cop needs! This should be 4-5.

First Aid 2 is generally useless. You can heal up to 2 boxes. With LOG 3 you probably won't beat the threshold. Get a couple medkits, R3 and R6, instead.

Running is actually not that useful. Perception is too low.

Is Dragonslayer popular because of the video game? Honestly there are much better mentors. Enhanced Accuracy isn't so good. With a good pistol and smart link/gun you're not going to hit an 8 limit reliably anyway. 

Pistols is kind of a weak skill anyway considering Automatics gives machine pistols as well as SMGs and ARs.

Outdoors group is niche. Most games overwhelmingly occur in cities. Tracking is better just bought on its own.

Is pistol whipping even an allowed thing? Some of those powers are ok if fairly niche. Improved Ability to Pistols (or go Automatics and put it there) would be better.

You have a lot devoted to unarmed combat but with STR 3 your melee fighting is pretty crappy and +1 damage to a "pistol whip" ain't changing that. Improved Reflexes 3 is pretty good though perhaps overkill for chargen. You need to note your base REA and REA after the power. Is your base REA 3 and with the power 6, or is it 6/9? This is necessary to know.

Your contacts are all kind of in the same fields and that's not the most helpful. I'd even drop one and make the others better.

How would I fix it? I was hoping to go for Gunslinger Adapt but I wanted it to fit my backstory.
Thoughts
Mentor
"As a Mage I have no issue with 'shoot the face first'. He deserves it and it's about time they stopped targeting me right from the go." -The Tekwych

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <05-15-15/1210:05> »
I get that the guy want to pistol whip...a pistol can be used as an improvised weapon (ACC4 STR+1P +1AP).
However Melee is not a skill. I would say it would fall under clubs as you're doing a clubbing motion when pistol whipping.

Before I can give you any other advice, what priority did you assign to each...it looks like B Attributes for instance but I'm not sure.
"Speech" Thought >>Matrix<< Astral

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <05-15-15/1217:14> »
I get that the guy want to pistol whip...a pistol can be used as an improvised weapon (ACC4 STR+1P +1AP).
However Melee is not a skill. I would say it would fall under clubs as you're doing a clubbing motion when pistol whipping.

Before I can give you any other advice, what priority did you assign to each...it looks like B Attributes for instance but I'm not sure.

In order from left to right:
D,C,B,A,E and I used street level rules so I had 13 starting karma.
Thoughts
Mentor

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <05-15-15/1253:57> »
Isn't there a martial art that lets you use pistols in melee and pistol whip easily? Ares Firewatch maybe? Or is there a literal Gun Kata now? I'm AFB and don't usually use Martial Arts so can't recall.

zarzak

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <05-15-15/1259:39> »
Isn't there a martial art that lets you use pistols in melee and pistol whip easily? Ares Firewatch maybe? Or is there a literal Gun Kata now? I'm AFB and don't usually use Martial Arts so can't recall.

Gun Kata does this - it can be taken as either a club specialization (for pistol whipping) or a pistol specialization.

There is also melee hardening for guns in Gun Heaven 3 (I think), but no pricing/stats for it.

I've designed a similar character but not with street level rules.  I'm not too familiar with playing at that power level.

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <05-15-15/1302:40> »
Can you give me some stat and ability advice? And club specialization it is.

I'm getting a start from scratch not using street level vibe... what do you all think?
« Last Edit: <05-15-15/1318:16> by Raiderjoseph »
Thoughts
Mentor

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <05-15-15/1317:01> »
Can you give me some stat and ability advice? And club specialization it is.
I can go more in depth on this after work.

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <05-15-15/1319:53> »
I'm seriously considering starting from scratch everyone. Good idea? Bad idea?
Thoughts
Mentor

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <05-15-15/1407:41> »
Starting from scratch sounds like a good call.  Is this for a street level campaign or a normal one?  Street level can be fun, but if you're not in a campaign based around that idea, there's no need to dilute the character.

Once we know your campaign level, it will be easier to provide advice.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <05-15-15/1420:33> »
I actually don't have a campaign yet... so I'll use regular level. So Gunslinger Adapt. He likes pistols. He has some criminal psychology and knowledge of serial killers along with Lone Star info thanks to his background. He has Gun Kata(Club specialization). And he has a National SIN and magic licence. I'm giving him Adapt from Priority B which means I get a rating 4 active skill. And yes I'm keeping Dragonslayer. Actually all his qualities still apply. I'll get rid of his contacts except the detective and buy some new ones. Actually maybe just keep the fixer and detective and no other contacts.

That's what I'm starting with. I guess Reaction, Agility, Strength, Body, and Intuition are my stuff.

It occurs to me that finding an open play by post campaign here might be difficult.
« Last Edit: <05-15-15/1444:22> by Raiderjoseph »
Thoughts
Mentor

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <05-15-15/1440:03> »
Intuition is arguably the most important attribute in the game, so you definitely want that at a decent level.  If you're shooting, Agility is solid (although as an adept, you have ways of increasing your shooting pool pretty easily).  Body 3 is workable--soak dice are pretty easy to get.  Pistol-whipping someone is certainly possible, but not always a great choice from a mechanics standpoint.  I don't see the need to invest in Strength just so you can pull this off on the rare occasion it comes up.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <05-15-15/1457:34> »
Intuition is arguably the most important attribute in the game, so you definitely want that at a decent level.  If you're shooting, Agility is solid (although as an adept, you have ways of increasing your shooting pool pretty easily).  Body 3 is workable--soak dice are pretty easy to get.  Pistol-whipping someone is certainly possible, but not always a great choice from a mechanics standpoint.  I don't see the need to invest in Strength just so you can pull this off on the rare occasion it comes up.

I figured that much for strength. I'll give it two. Since im using regular campaign and not street I'm thinking over what pistols to get. I like SA. I really do and something with reduced kickback would be nice. He likes to duel wield so I got that to consider. Is the Fichetti Security 600 a good gun?
Thoughts
Mentor

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <05-15-15/1501:05> »
E   Human(1)            
C   16            
B   Adept 6            
A   46/10            
D   50000            

BOD   3   WIL   3   EDG   4
AGI   6   LOG   2   ESS   6
REA   1(4)   INT   4   MR   6
STR   4   CHA   2      
   CHA increased from 1 to 2 with 15 Karama            
   EDG increased to 4 w/20 Karma            

Qualities               
Ambidextrous (-4)               
Mentor Spirit-Dragonslayer (-5)               
Sinner-Corporate Limited- Lonestar (+15)               
   Lonestar is a AA Megacorp:             
   AA and AA Megacorps have  Extraterritorial             
     Extraterritorial is what allows them to have corporate citizens.            
Solid Rep-Lonestar (-2)               
Dependents (+9)               

Adept Powers               
Atribute Boost (AGI) II         0.25      
   8 dice so two third of the time +3 AGI for 6 cobat turns            
Danger Sense I         Free      
Enh Accuracy (Clubs)         Free      
Imp Ability(Automatics) III         1.5      
Improved Reflexes III         3.5      
Elemental Weapon (Electrical)         0.5      
   You'll have to turn one or more of your guns to weapon foci            
   You have .25PP for something else.            

Skills               
Stealth SG 6               
Athletics SG 4               
Clubs (Imp Weapons) 6(+2)               
Automatics (Machine Pistols) 6(+2)               
Etiquette (Law Enforcement) 3(+2)               
Con 6               
Negotiations (Bargaining) 6(+2)               
First Aid (Gunshot Wounds) 6 (+2)               
Pilot Groundcraft (Mortorcycle) 6(+2)               
   I don't really like using skill points on specializations but you seem to, so I emulated it.            
   I didn't buy knowledge skills            

You have a net 3 Karma plus 5000 nuyen to spend               
You have 19 Dice to fire yourmachine  pistols not counting smartlink               
"Speech" Thought >>Matrix<< Astral