NEWS

Why Not Wireless?

• 67 Replies

Neal Allen

• Newb
  • Why agility when levitate?
« on: <05-14-15/1857:40> »
I've never understood why so many things were wireless.  Like, it makes sense that in the average world one would interact with quite a few things via matrix, but there are very few things Shadowrunners would gain benefits from, from being wireless. 
Armour? Off
Weapons? Off (smartlink on, obviously)
Vision and Audio Enhancements? On (not missing out on too much if off)
Vehicle? Off (unless running via ausoft)
Basically all cyberware? Off

Like, would spellcasters or adepts have a single wireless device (other then the commlink)?
Retired.
Frag off.

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #1 on: <05-14-15/2145:41> »
I'm guessing you're talking about 5th ed specifically? If not, my mistake.

But basically it was their way of throwing hackers a bone. It doesn't make sense, and in 4th the only things that needed to be wireless to work were obvious things like Tactical Networks. Even then you could use alternate methods than wifi to broadcast this sensitive information. There doesn't appear to be any other reason than to make people more vulnerable to hackers, but since there are very few hackers in 5th ed it's kinda schizophrenic.

Back in 4th you could sorta kinda make yourself hacker proof in a myriad of ways, like having your encryption set to a long interval with an agent refreshing it at the end of the interval, or making sure all of your devices were touchlink enabled. On paper it looks pretty nasty, but in practice it ends up taking up allot of resources to manage that. Since everything you have is slaved to your PAN, and you can't communicate wirelessly with your link in autistic mode everything is still sorta vulnerable through your link anyway.

But yeah, just my two bits on the issue, it was just a huge gimp to everyone disguised as a bone for hackers.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <05-14-15/2350:27> »
Why not, wireless?

I vaguely mentioned chip tracking back during the food lesson. One thing: Almost all clothing is wire[less]. If you’re a cop, and you see a guy wearing exclusively untagged clothing, you know he’s up to no good.  at’s like wearing a sign that says, “Please, officer, don’t follow me.” Yes, cops are lazy. But also, they have to occasionally arrest someone.

You don’t want to involuntarily promote the quality of any underwear or any other products you might own. RFIDs give your location away, they give data about your purchases away, and they give away data about the state of objects you own. Kill every RFID chip you can find. Buy yourself an eraser and wipe the little buggers off all your gear.

They're both right, and they're both wrong. Up to you to know when which is which.

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <05-15-15/1033:10> »
Here' a fun trick - remove the tags from all your items, label them (so you know which is which) and carry them in a plastic bag in your pocket. Don't know if your GM will allow it, but you can give it a shot.
As for the security - THIS is why I think that Manhunter is better than Predator.
*WARNING!!! ANGRY RANT INCOMING!*
Well, that and the fact that if you attach a suppressor (ok, silencer) you couldn't realistically conceal Predator without anything less than a coat, whereas Manhunter's shorter barrel makes it feasible. Yeah, I know that game mechanics don't care about that but this is important, damnit!

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <05-15-15/1129:54> »
Like, would spellcasters or adepts have a single wireless device (other then the commlink)?
Throwing Knives and Shuriken (especially for a Missile Master Adept ) ;)

with a Wireless Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <05-15-15/1146:18> »
There are a few different ways of approaching this.  From a fluffy, macro view, the societal expectation is that you and your stuff is wirelessly enabled.  This makes any number of things easier, or at least easier to commodify.  Turning your wireless off as a general practice is weird in the same way that people who live off the grid today are considered weird.

Obviously, when you're in the middle of a run, operational security probably takes precedent.  On the micro, crunchier side of things, you have to make some choices.  Do you want those 3 extra dice to Perception Tests or 2 extra dice to Pistols?  How exactly are you going to share your video feed to a teammate's datajack DNI?  The developers wanted the Matrix in 5e to allow for better integration of deckers and chose the carrot as opposed to the stick as a means of doing it.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

MarmaladeEffect

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <05-15-15/2059:44> »
I ask myself "what idiot decided to make this wireless" all the time, right now in 2015. I can only expect it will get worse in the future. Cars, pacemakers, and an increasing number of home appliances are all vulnerable to hacking, not to mention a surprising amount of infrastructure. Maybe in 2075, it has something to do with DRM. You have to leave your underwear online so they know you aren't running non-proprietary software on it.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <05-15-15/2201:42> »
I really dislike the DRM theory. It leads to people thinking they should (or complaining they can't) just jailbreak all their stuff, or oddball theorising along the lines of "You have to leave your underwear online so they know you aren't running non-proprietary software on it."

http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?comic=111510

MGS this isn't.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #8 on: <05-16-15/0252:40> »
About a decade ago I had a conversation with a Comp Sci Professor about this, but in the other direction.
There is basicly nothing you can come up with that can't be improved by slapping a computer and wireless capablity on. From chopstics to mega stadiums, putting a computer on something can ether improve it's function, or give perpheral advantage. That advantage maybe as simple as not letting it get lost, or just adding a "cool" appearence, but it is in engeneering terms a measurable, traceable advantage. With our ability to print transistors only a couple molicules wide what can't we add a computer too?

Armor? Biomonitor built into using a distributed micro sensor net; a great idea. Built in drug dispencer, big improvement. Don't forget a panic switch to doc wagon. Helmets? so much stuff you can do there, communications, sensors suits, entertainment, direction finding, not even starting on skill decks or anything along those lines.

Weapons! Of course your gonna have them active, why? For the wireless bonus of course. Symbolizing the millions of things you can do to improve accuracy with better tech. Smartlink- a range finder, combined with a gun cam, a HUD, and some decent software to put it all together. Puts a target radical where ever your pointing your weapon, and tells you how to adjust for bullet drop, drift and silmiar issues. You know the pentagon has smartbullets already? Bullets that literally change diretion to hit their target, just imagen how much that tech has improved by 2070. Even melee weapons be improved, Mono-whips? Auto-retract on a miss instead of taking of a limb? Amazing! They never found a good wireless bonus to put on a sword, but there are other games that have done so. Core Command which is a great scifi game, had a sword that rebuilt it's blade every time you swung, adding properties to the weapon each time you hit the opponent. Admittedly that tech is to far out there for SR. But having your sword make lightsaber noises and glow could be a "Cool" feature many folks would eat up. Or competition fencing using sensors to determin who actually hit first, or golf clubs that tell you what was wrong with your stroke etc, etc.

Vehicals- You know cars really drive themselves at this point in SR? Not having your car connect to the grid is in many cities can be cause to get you pulled over. Sure this dosen't hold true in the really, really bad parts of town, but never fear the cities grid will advice you strongly not to go there.

Cyberware-  Over the last decade we have made huge leaps forward in prosthetics tech, but we are just beginning to reach the cave painting stage compared to SR cyberlimb capablity, not only does SR cyberware restore full capacity, it improves it. That is to say the new limb offers better dexterity, greater strength, greater endurance (Including super human levels of all three of these), but it also includes a high level virtual feedback, without that sensory feedback it couldn't do what is dicussed. Adding many other capabilities to cyberware simply means even greater improved capacity, Guns, Blades, Commlinks, smuggling compartments, all things it's easy to understand adding to such tech marvels.

Finally mages and adepts are still people, meaning that they would enjoy using all the modern convences of the time. Being a mage or an adept doesn't mean your anymore likely to declare yourself a hermit and try and live alone in the hills. Modern tech is wirelessly connective for all the reasons discussed above, and it works better for it. Sure there's the SR equivalent of Jack Reacher out there somewhere, but he is the exception that proves the rule.
« Last Edit: <05-16-15/0257:19> by Marcus »
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Mr. Black

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <05-16-15/0302:40> »
You have to leave your underwear online so they know you aren't running non-proprietary software on it.

No, your underwear is online so that everyone in your MyBook group gets an update on its status when the toxic earth spirit materializes and you crap your drawers...

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #10 on: <05-16-15/0407:44> »
And as for chopsticks/forks/knives/spoons?  Who wouldn't want to know the quality of their soy?  Whether or not the real shrimp they're eating is on the fringe for mercury, and/or uploading the trace bad stuff information to your household computer / smartphone, which you have keeping track of such things??
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Ursus Maior

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <05-16-15/0752:41> »
And don't forget that wifi is used for power transmission as well. While devices will still carry batteries in 2075 they will be usually charged wireless. So switching your wifi off will consume the battery and offer less features, making a throw-back device a really useless item pretty fast, since large batteries might not be in use for most micro-sized devices like comlinks, drones, RFIDs or weapon-addons.
Liber et infractus

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #12 on: <05-16-15/1736:18> »
Funny, the always worked a significant period of time previously, so much so as to be 'don't worry about it'.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #13 on: <05-16-15/1959:29> »
What, your extendable batons and undermount bipods DON'T deploy faster when connected to the internet?

;D

-k

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <05-16-15/2300:36> »
That reminds me. I'm not expecting it, (just like I'm not expecting Noise to be differentiated between Static & Spam) but having PAN bonuses and actual wireless bonuses would be noice.