NEWS

Why Not Wireless?

• 67 Replies

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #60 on: <06-05-15/0845:19> »
... slapping, no.  But adding an external smartlink usually involves a bit more than sticking it on top and away you go.  It takes a bit of time to hook up connectors, put in place the fibroids to be able to automatically ratchet the slide, etc.  Because even if it's external, you still can do all that sort of thing (drop the clip, put the safety on/off, chamber/eject a round, etc.), which means all those parts have to be in place.  Don't take my description to be license for you to say 'oh, I have an external smartlink, mine can't be bricked' without your external smartlink basically becoming nothing more than a high-tech laser sight.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #61 on: <06-05-15/1147:06> »
Why are we still arguing this.

A firearm that is wireless enabled can be bricked.
You cannot fire a firearm that is bricked.
(...but you can still use it to pistol whip or rifle butt)

SR5 p. 228 Bricking
If a device is bricked, it stops working: batteries are drained, mechanical parts are fused or gummed up with melted internals, and so on. That said, not all devices are completely useless when bricked. A vibrosword is still sharp, a roto-drone glides to the ground on auto-gyro, a lock stays locked. The firing pin on an assault rifle might not work, but its bayonet works just fine for stabbing smug hackers. And you can’t exactly brick a katana, ne? And don’t panic when your trickedout combat bike gets bricked; it will ride again … if you know a competent technician.

You guys that still argue that you can fire a firearm after it have been bricked; Please provide a page reference that say so.

Thank you.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #62 on: <06-05-15/2140:35> »

SR5 p. 228 Bricking
If a device is bricked, it stops working: batteries are drained, mechanical parts are fused or gummed up with melted internals, and so on. That said, not all devices are completely useless when bricked. A vibrosword is still sharp, a roto-drone glides to the ground on auto-gyro, a lock stays locked. The firing pin on an assault rifle might not work, but its bayonet works just fine for stabbing smug hackers. And you can’t exactly brick a katana, ne? And don’t panic when your trickedout combat bike gets bricked; it will ride again … if you know a competent technician.

You guys that still argue that you can fire a firearm after it have been bricked; Please provide a page reference that say so.

Thank you.

For me, once again a case of me thinking I'd read something when that wasn't quite the case. For people on their high-horses getting angry about people making mistakes, please remember not everyone's been playing since 1st Ed, and in fact 5th Ed may be their first... with all the referencing to prior editions the rules can be confusing as hell.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #63 on: <06-06-15/0651:04> »

SR5 p. 228 Bricking

Thank you.

Now, does that mean a hacker doesn't, say, just hack a weapon mount, but the whole drone/vehicle? And thus brick both at the same time?
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #64 on: <06-06-15/1040:40> »
The weapon mount isn't separate from the vehicle icon; shut down the vehicle, shut down the mount. That being said, there's no reason to keep a mount wirelessly enabled, as it gains no bonuses from doing so.

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #65 on: <06-06-15/1439:20> »
... slapping, no.  But adding an external smartlink usually involves a bit more than sticking it on top and away you go.  It takes a bit of time to hook up connectors, put in place the fibroids to be able to automatically ratchet the slide, etc.  Because even if it's external, you still can do all that sort of thing (drop the clip, put the safety on/off, chamber/eject a round, etc.), which means all those parts have to be in place.  Don't take my description to be license for you to say 'oh, I have an external smartlink, mine can't be bricked' without your external smartlink basically becoming nothing more than a high-tech laser sight.
Hmm... I admit I didn't think about other parts. Still, do you really need all of the components? Sacrifacing faster magazine ejection and switching firing mode in exchange for immunity to bricking looks like a good trade.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #66 on: <06-06-15/1448:22> »
Hmm... I admit I didn't think about other parts. Still, do you really need all of the components? Sacrifacing faster magazine ejection and switching firing mode in exchange for immunity to bricking looks like a good trade.
Theoretically? Perhaps not. But from a game mechanics point of view, your gun is already wireless so it makes no difference one way or another. It's an all or nothing deal unless you house rule it.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #67 on: <06-06-15/1659:42> »
Sacrifacing faster magazine ejection and switching firing mode in exchange for immunity to bricking looks like a good trade.
You also sacrifice one category of wind compensation, both bonuses from take aim actions and a positive dice pool modifier of 1 or 2 dice (depending on if your smartlink is internal or not)

If you go wireless OFF and connect your firearm with a wire to your goggles (or your datajack if you have smartlink in your eyes) then you still get +2 accuracy, shooting around corners for -3 dice instead of -6 and you gain immunity to hacking. That's it.