NEWS

help w reaction adjustments

• 47 Replies

Beaumis

• Omae
« Reply #45 on: <05-30-15/0555:29> »
Okay, I'm not sure who is talking to who here, but since my name is tagged to it, I'll try to clear this up from my side:

1. My original quote got garbled by the forum, I'm not sure why. It was supposed to read like this:

>Tarislar: I'd say the best way for an Adept to get +4 Reaction is 3 Levels of Improved Reflexes & 1 Level of Improved Physical Attribute (Reaction).
>>sn0mm1s: I don't think those two stack. They are both magical increases to initiative.
>>>Beaumis: The source only matters when there are explicit rules to exclude the source. Improved Reflexes specifically mentions Initiative, not Reaction. Those two stack freely by RAW.

2. Here's what I mean by that:
  • The book defines Reaction, Initiative and Initiative Dice as three separate stats on P. 51 & 52. Hence, limitations to one stat do not affect the other. 
  • The Improved Reflexes adept power strictly prohibits the combination with other increases to initiative but makes no mention of reaction except to its increase. The mention is two sentences earlier and in a different context. Since reaction and initiative are two separate entities, the mention of reaction is not relevant to stacking. Other instances specifically mention reaction and initiative both.
  • The Improved Physical Attribute power makes no mention of stacking whatsoever.

3. The fact that Initiative is made up of Reaction & Intuition doesn't matter because:
  • There are examples of initiative increases that do not increase reaction in the Increase Reflexes spell. Kamikaze increases Initiative Dice, but not Initiative or Reaction.
  • The fact that derived stats are stats on their own an can receive bonuses can be seen in limits.
  • Bonuses to attributes that do not increase derived statistics are generally dice pool boni. (Bone Density doesn't increase Body, it only adds dice for example.)

In light of all this, I can only conclude that the improved reflexes adept power stacks with other reactions enhancements unless those enhancements limit the stacking up to a total bonus of +4, increasing initiative indirectly by the full amount.
« Last Edit: <05-30-15/0558:44> by Beaumis »

sn0mm1s

• Chummer
« Reply #46 on: <05-30-15/1346:53> »
Okay, I'm not sure who is talking to who here, but since my name is tagged to it, I'll try to clear this up from my side:

1. My original quote got garbled by the forum, I'm not sure why. It was supposed to read like this:

>Tarislar: I'd say the best way for an Adept to get +4 Reaction is 3 Levels of Improved Reflexes & 1 Level of Improved Physical Attribute (Reaction).
>>sn0mm1s: I don't think those two stack. They are both magical increases to initiative.
>>>Beaumis: The source only matters when there are explicit rules to exclude the source. Improved Reflexes specifically mentions Initiative, not Reaction. Those two stack freely by RAW.

2. Here's what I mean by that:
  • The book defines Reaction, Initiative and Initiative Dice as three separate stats on P. 51 & 52. Hence, limitations to one stat do not affect the other. 
  • The Improved Reflexes adept power strictly prohibits the combination with other increases to initiative but makes no mention of reaction except to its increase. The mention is two sentences earlier and in a different context. Since reaction and initiative are two separate entities, the mention of reaction is not relevant to stacking. Other instances specifically mention reaction and initiative both.
  • The Improved Physical Attribute power makes no mention of stacking whatsoever.

3. The fact that Initiative is made up of Reaction & Intuition doesn't matter because:
  • There are examples of initiative increases that do not increase reaction in the Increase Reflexes spell. Kamikaze increases Initiative Dice, but not Initiative or Reaction.
  • The fact that derived stats are stats on their own an can receive bonuses can be seen in limits.
  • Bonuses to attributes that do not increase derived statistics are generally dice pool boni. (Bone Density doesn't increase Body, it only adds dice for example.)

In light of all this, I can only conclude that the improved reflexes adept power stacks with other reactions enhancements unless those enhancements limit the stacking up to a total bonus of +4, increasing initiative indirectly by the full amount.

Completely disagree. I am not sure where you are getting by RAW that an increase to Initiative - through whatever means - isn't an increase to Initiative.

Initiative is defined as Reaction + Intuition. So, to increase your initiative can be an increase to any one of those three terms. What you are saying is like arguing to the IRS that your
yearly income = salary + bonus, so an increase to your salary or bonus - which indirectly affects your yearly income isn't really taxable because it isn't an increase to your yearly salary and then using an example like winning the lottery (which isn't salary or bonus) and saying only *that* is taxable because that adds directly to yearly income.

Is Improved Attribute Reaction magical? Yes.
Does it increase your initiative? Yes.
Does Improved Reflexes combine with any magical increases to initiative? No.
Ergo you can't combine the two.

Beaumis

• Omae
« Reply #47 on: <05-30-15/1419:34> »
By your logic, improved reflexes would also not stack with the increase Intuition spell. Actually, by your logic most augments wouldn't stack with any increase to intuition OR reaction, unless they explicitly say so.

Your analogy is lacking in various points, but I don't see any point in arguing it. We have both presented our case and both stated that we feel the rules are clear on this. We'll just have to agree to disagree. :)