NEWS

A wise cracking foreward opporator. Thanks to all who helped.

• 25 Replies

Danny Montanny

• Omae
« on: <03-04-15/0713:35> »
Trent Kassadyne is a low level security guard who doesn't feel the need to utilize his abilities for anything more than just scraping by. Even though he's fully registered, he balks at any advancement or recruitment from any of the Big 10. He likes things the way they are. He barely works, lives in a shitty apartment in the sprawl, and spends most of his time doing what he likes to do. Which just so happens to be playing cards. Well, recently his luck went south and he's in pretty deep with some nasty folk. Knowing a little of the Shadow Community, he decides that's his best way to get thing back on track. So here he is, having to take more dangerous jobs to try to pay back what he owes.

Info
Name: Trent Kassadyne
Street Name: Nevermore
Human
Composure: 9
Judge Intentions: 10
Lift/Carry: 5 (30 kg/20 kg)
Memory: 7
Movement: 10/20
Nuyen: 22  + 3d6 x 60

Priorities
Metatype: D
Attributes: A
Special: B
Skills: C
Resources: E

Attributes
BOD: 3
AGI: 5
REA: 5(9)
STR: 2
CHA: 4
INT: 6
LOG: 2
WIL: 5
EDG: 3
MAG: 6

Derived Attributes
Essence: 6
Initiative: 15 + 4d6
Physical Damage Track: 10
Stun Damage Track: 11

Limits
Physical: 6
Mental: 5
Social: 7 (+1 Voice Control)
   +1 Vashon Island: Synergist Business Line (Must be visible)
   +1 Vashon Island: Synergist Business Line Longcoat (Must be visible)
Astral: 8

Active Skills
Assensing (Aura Reading): 1 (+2)
Automatics (Submachine Guns): 6 (+2)
Con: 1 (+2 Mentor Spirit)
Etiquette: 1
Impersonation: 1
Gymnastics: 3
Leadership: 1
Negotiation: 1
Perception: 5
Performance: 1
Sneaking: 5
Spellcasting (Detection): 6 (+2) (+2 Manipulation Mentor Spirit)
Summoning (Spirits of Man): 6 (+2) (+1 The Spiritual Way)

Knowledge Skills
Cantonese: 1
English: N
Russian: 1

Interest Card Games (Poker): 2 (+2)
Interest Magical Theory (Conjuring): 2 (+2)
Professional Security Tactics: 2
Professional Small Unit Tactics: 2
Street Gambling (Card Games): 2 (+2)
Street Shadow Community: 1

Qualities
Addiction (Moderate: Gambling)
Day Job (5)
In Debt (6)
Mentor Spirit (Raven)
Mystic Adept
SINner (National: UCAS)
The Spiritual Way

Spells
Tradition: Chaos Magic, Resist Drain with WIL + INT
Gecko Crawl: DV: F-3
Improved Invisibility: DV: F-1
Increase [Attribute] (INT): DV: F-3
Magic Fingers: DV: F-2
Punch: DV: F-6
Sterilize: DV: F-3
Trid Phantasm: DV: F

Powers
Astral Perception (Way Discount)
Attribute Boost (AGI): 1
Combat Sense: 1
Improved Physical Attribute (REA): 1 (Way Discount)
Improved Reflexes 3
Magic Sense (Way Discount)
Motion Sense
Traceless Walk (Mentor Spirit)
Voice Control: 1 (Mentor Spirit)

Lifestyles
Scraping By: Low Lifestyle
   +Cramped
   +Dangerous Area

Armor
Chameleon Suit
   +Thermal Damping: 6
Helmet
   +Low Light
   +Thermographic Vision
   +Trodes
Vashon Island: Synergist Business Line
   +Custom Fit
   +Concealable Holster
Vashion Island: Synergist Business Line Longcoat
   +Custom Fit (Stack)
   +Holster

Weapons
HK 227
   +Folding Stock
   +Foregrip
   +Gas-Vent 3 System
   +Personalized Grip
   +Sling
   +Smartgun System, Internal
   +Sound Suppressor
   Pool: 13(14)   Accuracy: 6( 8 )   DV: 7P   AP: -   RC: 7
Remington Suppressor
   +Concealed Quick-Draw Holster
   +Gas-Vent 3 System
   +Personalized Grip
   +Smartgun System, Internal
   +Sound Suppressor
   Pool: 11(12)   Accuracy: 7(9)   DV: 7P   AP: -1   RC: 5
Unarmed Attack
   Pool: 5   Accuracy: 7   DV: 4S   AP: -

Commlink
Sony Emperor (ATT: 0, SLZ: 0, DP: 2, FWL: 2)

Gear
Contacts: 2
   +Flare Compensation
   +Smartlink
Earbuds: 3
   +Select Sound Filter: 1
   +Spatial Recognizer
Fake SIN (Edgar Allan): 4
   +Fake License (Bodyguard License): 4
   +Fake License (Concealed Carry Permit): 4
   +Fake License (Contacts): 4
      +Fake License (Smartlink): 4
   +Fake License (Machine Pistol): 4
   +Fake License (Sub Machine Gun): 4
Glasses: 3
   +Image Link
   +Low Light
   +Tomographic Vision
Micro-Transceiver

He's got  2 sets of gear. One for his job/meets including; Vashon Island gear, Glasses, and Micro-Transceiver. The other is for stealth runs, that one includes; Chameleon Suit and Helmet (and Forearm Guards when I get them). Will buy ammo and anything else (Forearm Guards) pre-run with starting cash.
« Last Edit: <03-05-15/0924:46> by Danny Montanny »

gunther

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <03-04-15/0725:08> »
Chummers made me choose between the magic or adept advantage of my mentor ghost. should be right this way.

people say that improved attribute isnīt worth it, even with discount.

you have to many discounted powers, its magic/2.

there will be more...

Danny Montanny

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <03-04-15/0733:56> »
Chummers made me choose between the magic or adept advantage of my mentor ghost. should be right this way.

people say that improved attribute isnīt worth it, even with discount.

you have to many discounted powers, its magic/2.

there will be more...
The Spiritual Way give both for your Mentor.

It was worth it to get the stats where I wanted them.

There's only 3. Astral Perception, Improved Physical Attribute, and Magic Sense.

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <03-04-15/0752:44> »
Spiritual way gives both? That's odd. Oh well.

Improved attribute... It's expensive, but at 0.5PP it's not that bad I think. Imp. Att. Agility is a bad choice, since Attribute Boost does so much of what it does, except better. But that doesn't work for STR or REA.

Although, even with discounts, Improved Reaction seems like a waste compared to an extra rank of Improved Reflexes. Though you can get both in the end, but still. Also, why do you even have Increased Strength? It's kind of a waste.

You have 'Did you just call me dumb?' with a Logic of 1? Yeah... don't do that.

Improved Attribute (INT) is nice if you have a way to sustain it. As is, you take a -2 penalty on everything for +4 drain dice and an effective +2 perception (after penalty). Not really worth it, unless you invest in a way to sustain soon.
As for other spells, that depends a lot on what you want to do. There's topics on "must have" spells. (Take Heal, though).

Trodes and Vision Enhancement etc in helmet means you only have them when the helmet is on, which isn't all the time (I hope). Better to just buy those seperate (trodes are seperate anyway, and vision/audio can be gotten on contacts/glasses). You don't need Image Link if you have trodes btw (except perhaps as backup). Speaking of helmet, with helmet and PPP option you're over the encumbrance limit (this is bad).

Consensus is you don't need seperate licenses for firearms, but ask your GM on how it's handled in your game. You also don't have licenses for spellcasting/summoning (not as needed as for items, as spellcasting is less likely to come up on routine stops, but still something to think about). Stunbolt might be nice - you can deal with most targets with guns, but it's a nice backup for high-defense, high-armor targets.

I'm assuming Lifestyle choices will be worked out later? It's weird you picked Obscure but didn't fill out the rest of the options.

Knowledge-wise: Pick a hobby. Pick some languages (where are you from? Do the Sioux have a language?). Magical Theory is nice for someone to have. Usually knowledges are a good way to flesh out a background, so that depends a lot on that.

The Magic/2 limit is per rank (and type). If you pick Improved Physical Attribute, that goes for one rank in one of the subtypes (but you can pick that multiple times).

FrowningMirror

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <03-04-15/0807:50> »
Some of your negative qualities are pretty much a death wish at many tables. 9 karma puts you over 20,000 dollars which means your gonna get beat up physically a lot. It also doesn't make too much roleplaying sense that you have a high life style with your indebt quality. Thrill seeker is just 1 initiative die and thrusts you in the most dangerous situation. If you were a physical combat adept or street sam, that might be worth it, as your not using up your stun monitor to cast spells and you have body to take a few hits. Its still a preference of what character you want to make, not all characters need to live super long, but at least it should be brought up here.

Spiritual way does indeed let you use both adept and magician bonuses, its probably the only reason to run spiritual way tbh, as the discounts are strange. 

If you do decide to sustain your intuition, this is best during play, as the costs to bond and buy everything will be the same outside creation as inside. Personally, I don't understand why you need intuition that high yet, I think you'd be better off getting masking metamagic during play.

Sioux as your native tongue? That might be okay in the NAN regions, but probably not most of the world. I mean if you decide to get English 6 for instance, thats a dice roll most conversations in Seattle.

Invisibility should be your first focus for a spell. With traceless walk and invisibility nobody will be able to detect you in material world.

Doesn't Magic Sense and astral perception seem redundant? You can get this as a qi foci during play if you wanted as well. It will be cheaper than initiating a second time.

Strength sucks on this character. Its almost exclusively a melee stat and there are weapons that work around low strength.
« Last Edit: <03-04-15/0850:35> by FrowningMirror »

Danny Montanny

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <03-04-15/0847:08> »
Guess I didn't think about the first sentence in the discount section. So I'll drop Imp REA and AGI and put it into Imp Reflexes. I want STR at 4 for limit, just incase that extra 4 dice from Dodge might make the difference without spending an Edge, and the extra point in RC. The 7 dice on AGI Boost will have to compensate as best they can for now. I could also drop 1 point from CHA and throw it into LOG, but I like the idea of him being all about his "gut feelings".

As for concept. I was thinking I could go SINner (National) and Day Job (5) to replace Did You Just Call Me Dumb? and Poor Self Control, which will carve 3 off my Debt. EDIT: Or keep Poor Slef Control (which got him in trouble in the first place) and drop SINner and carve 2 off the Debt, which will drop it below 40k. This will risk burning his Rating 4 Fake SIN, though. Now he's a Bodyguard that got in too deep with his gambling and has to work the shadows to scrape up the cash quick. As oppose to a wild card trying to live out some sort of death wish. I'll have to trim 15k from his stuff, but that should come pretty easy as I inflated it to get to -25 Karma anyways.

First thing to get is Force 4 Health Sustaining Focus.
« Last Edit: <03-04-15/0852:40> by Danny Montanny »

FrowningMirror

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <03-04-15/0855:18> »
You may want to just wait during the campaign to buy Spiritual Way. Its retro active, according to missions it doesn't cost twice as much karma like other qualities post character creation.

Also again, if you want to melee you could even do a touch spell to eliminate a guy at close range. I'd probably set strength at 2 natural and eliminate the improved attribute strength completely. As for limit, that can always be eliminated by edge, since your human with 3 edge you should be okay.

This allows you to put a point in logic or charisma or move another attribute along with it for 5 body

Also, I know your character sheet is not finished but this guy could maybe pull off backup face with a spell and some well placed social skills.
« Last Edit: <03-04-15/1004:32> by FrowningMirror »

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <03-04-15/0903:02> »
Having High Lifestyle with In Debt makes a lot of sense, actually. There's a lot of people who live beyond their means by borrowing until it explodes in their face. But yes, it WILL blow up in your face. That's 17750 nuyen per month total, just to keep up with lifestyle and interest? You're not going to get that every month, if at all. So it's a bad choice for a character, sense or not.

Didn't notice he only had Sioux. Yeah, get English. English at 6 shouldn't be a problem though; that's 3 hits if you buy hits, that gets complex thoughts across (I'd allow him to buy hits in most situations for language at that level. Complex discussions in combat might need a roll though).

Magic Sense and Astral Perception, though you're not the first one to say it, are not redundant. They target different things (though with some considerable overlap) and use different mechanics. If it's worth the points is a different question, but the same they are not (consider; if they were the same, why would the Detect Magic spell exist at all?).

If you want to increase your limit, you might as well just get the limit increasing power. But I doubt it's worth it. You need to first be targeted in melee, and then it only works if you Dodge. And THEN you need to roll over 6 with 18 dice to make it worth it, ánd the enemy needs to roll more then 6. That's not going to come up much. Especially since if you get into that much trouble, might as well skip to Full Defense for a +5 (without that pesky limit, and lasting a full combat turn).

Danny Montanny

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <03-04-15/1253:19> »
Updated with stuff that should fit the concept better and make it a more viable PC. Still needs 6 spells and some knowledge skills.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <03-04-15/1338:05> »
Why are you wanting a force 4 sustaining foci for  improved intuition? The force of the spell has to exceed the augmented value, and you have a base of 6. Your force would be, at a minimum 7, wouldn't it?

Danny Montanny

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <03-04-15/1438:24> »
Why are you wanting a force 4 sustaining foci for  improved intuition? The force of the spell has to exceed the augmented value, and you have a base of 6. Your force would be, at a minimum 7, wouldn't it?
It's because I wasn't thinking and was a hold over from one of my other character concepts. It would have to be cast at Force 6. So a bit more expensive and I better find a good talismonger for the 18F availability.

The other option is throwing some skill into Binding and having a spirit sustain it for me. I'm just not sure how viable it is, or what my dice pools would have to be to pull it off.
« Last Edit: <03-04-15/1448:34> by Danny Montanny »

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <03-04-15/1508:12> »
It's because I wasn't thinking and was a hold over from one of my other character concepts. It would have to be cast at Force 6. So a bit more expensive and I better find a good talismonger for the 18F availability.

The other option is throwing some skill into Binding and having a spirit sustain it for me. I'm just not sure how viable it is, or what my dice pools would have to be to pull it off.

Wouldn't the augmented value be what you are raising it to, thus generally a 9 or 10, depending how many successes you can get?

Danny Montanny

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <03-04-15/1630:22> »
Wouldn't the augmented value be what you are raising it to, thus generally a 9 or 10, depending how many successes you can get?
The (augmented) value is what the Attribute would be if it was (augmented). Which is why (augmented) values are presented as such and why there is an (augmented) maximum.

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <03-04-15/1722:02> »

Using Bound spirits is a bad idea.

The "normal" sustaining option lasts for [Force] combat turns. That's for a service that costs somewhere around 500-1000 nuyen. Bad deal. There's another option that last some days - better option, but it hurts the force of the spirit and it makes spirit really really hate you. So, bad idea.

You could, if your tradition has them, bind a Spirit of Man and have it cast it for you (and then sustain it as normal). That uses the usual spell sustaining rules. That would either last forever or a day, depending on how nice your GM is (hint: it shouldn't be forever). Then it's cast at the Spirit's skill level though, so probably 12 dice (at force 6).

In all cases you need a force 6 spirit at the minimum. Summoning a F6 spirit is peanuts. Binding him is 3000k karma and an opposed roll vs 12 - so you need to max out binding, and/or use edge on the roll. If your GM allows it, (pre)edge the Summoning roll as well, since that's where the services will come from, and it's a flat cost depending on force per binding attempt - best to start with many services.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <03-04-15/1805:49> »
The (augmented) value is what the Attribute would be if it was (augmented). Which is why (augmented) values are presented as such and why there is an (augmented) maximum.

Which is what I'm saying. The force needs to equal or exceed the augmented value, thus casting it at force 6 still won't do anything, you'd want it at force 9 or 10.