NEWS

Into the Mind of a Troll [5e IC - Subplot to Deep Black Sea]

• 31 Replies

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« on: <02-15-15/0436:09> »
The Jonas Hub proved to be a really amazing construction. Given only the most meager details it hat recreated the Russian EVO Special Operation School, including even the correct year on the wall AR calendars.

Of course, the whole thing did have some issues: Minor details were wrong, like the wall color that had been changed after a "pupil" had had a violent meltdown and painted them literally red. Someone in management had decided afterward, that salmon would have prevented such a disaster from occurring.

Krestov also noticed the absence of anyone living. It was a decidedly eerie feeling to walk abandoned corridors that had been so familiar and now where just subtly wrong. But even as he looked, details were added, probably being found by the Jonas Hub in their relentless matrix search.

Next to Krestov, a woman had appeared. She looked exactly as he had imagined her from the tone of her voice.
"Hello Krestov, as you can see, I am recreating the environment of your first major trauma. Please feel free to add details, otherwise I'll guess based on your reaction to displayed options if I have gotten it right.

It would be good if you'd invite trusted friends to share this experience.

Also I'd ask you to identify the key characters that played the most significant role in your experience."
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

SgtBoomCloud

« Reply #1 on: <02-15-15/1510:38> »
Krestov looked about in mild surprise as the familiar grounds of his adolescence materialized into the VR host he was in, turning to see the "therapist's" form materialize next to him.  The layout was quite good, save for several minor details.  He dug into his mind to give some added info, at the same time sending out invites to his comrades, each of them sleeping in their respective pods.

<<To: Team>>
<<As per suggestion by the treatment, I am inviting those closest to me to share in my experience.  I will admit this is sharing stuff about me I have never fully disclosed.  You may accept or deny the invite as you wish>>

Working up his memories, Krestov responded, in his mother tongue to best relate the info.  "...The details set are a good start.  While this was an Evo development branch, it was still part of a Knight Errant Academy, and therefore the logo and their various Maxims will be posted along the walls.  The barracks will be down this way...and that way is the mess hall.  The officer's areas are at this end...training classrooms here...and the physical training here.   Labs along this way...and the hotsim training rooms here...that's the extent of my knowledge of the place..."  He drew up a map as reference for this, for ease of use, but like he said, it wasn't complete.

"This academy was a bustle of various metatypes throughout, but my kind as usual are quite rare.  Key individuals...Sergeant Omarov was my direct superior; he ruled over this division with an iron fist.  Dr. Lishkanovya administered to all my...biogenetic and cybernetic procedures, as well as monitoring my condition in hot-sim.  And then there were my room comrades...Sergei, an elf with one eye missing, shifty as drek....Malia, a human, Awakened if my memory of her serves, and a crackshot with any firearm...and Trovo, human male, in the same line of training as me.  I suspect he was from Evo directly rather than common in origin, and he always seemed to want to antagonize me.

Beyond that...I cannot recall any more individuals at this time..."

Sabato Kuroi

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <02-15-15/1609:36> »
@Jonas Hub[Torrent]
Accept Invitation

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-16-15/0502:12> »
It took several seconds but one after the other people began to appear. Krestov could see how there construction from a crude rag doll model to a multi-textured, photo realistic person was conducted. Most of them were only background decoration, although some faces seemed to be vaguely familiar.

Without warning Torrent appeared at his side.

For Torrent that was just as well, since only a few seconds later a definitively familiar figure began to approach: Trovo. He seemed older than he had been than - the model was probably based on a recent photo - but even as he thought about it Trovo's face became smoother and younger and even his damn shit eating grin became unmistakably genuine.

"HEY, gravel-brains, got lost again on the way to the toilet? The seargent want's to see you. Better get your fat ass moving."

He neither seemed to notice Torrent at Krestov's side, nor the virtual doctor. The whole scene paused and the doctor looked at both runners directly: "This construct is a bit like lucid dreaming: You have full control over everything that happens: You can pause and rewind to try again. Don't hesitate for example to get violent in here. There is a certain cathartic effect to be had. We can rewind and start again when you are satisfied."
talk think matrix

SgtBoomCloud

« Reply #4 on: <02-16-15/2104:03> »
Krestov blinked as the halls were filled with the impressions of his classmates before his eyes, mouth parting a bit as the memories flooded into his mind.  The host must have been monitoring his reactions and subliminal responses, as the details became more accurate and defined as he kept looking around.  He then gave a nod as the familiar figure of Torrent appeared next to him, a bit of a reminder that this wasn't simply a dream.  He spoke plainly, the processors of the host working a live translation so that, while the troll was speaking full Russian, it came out as a familiar English.  "Hm...I will admit I wasn't expecting any responses..but you being the first, does surprise me."  He gave a grin, about to speak further before the familiar, sneering voice of Trovo hit his ears.

He looked up, turning slowly to face the human, his eyes level while one fist slowly closed and tightened.  He wanted to strike the teen, he truly did, but his inner restraint kicked in as his nature and he relaxed, letting out a smile.  "I will be there shortly.  Thank you for informing me.  See you on the sparring floor in thirty?  I have my free period and any chance to practice helps"  He gave a sigh, and lifted his head up, turning to the virtual doctor.

"Pause..."  He turned to Torrent.  "This was my home and life for a good decade.  This man, Trovo...he was my closest competitor in the Front-line Tactical role curriculum.  I learned later his father was a lawyer on the Evo payroll, and it was his clout that got him into the training.  When I said I was top in class, I was not exaggerating, and that fact became his obsession."  Krestov then turned to the doctor.  "Will my companions strictly be observers in this exercise, or will they be entitled to a hands on experience?"

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-17-15/0326:55> »
"That is entirely up to you. This exercise is all about giving you back your sense of agency over this situation."
The virtual doc gestured towards the main office: "Shall we proceed?"
talk think matrix

Sabato Kuroi

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <02-17-15/0916:22> »

I'm not  be the biggest fan of military training.I have a severe allergy to authority.Having said that, I really want to see what kind of person dared to lock horns with you.No pun intended.

SgtBoomCloud

« Reply #7 on: <02-17-15/2117:37> »
"Heh...at least you are honest with me on that front, friend.  Hope you are not disappointed..though if you dislike authority, you will love what is next..."  he turned to the doctor.  "Indeed.  Please continue..."  As the simulation resumed, Krestov cracked his neck and started to stride down the hallway like he used to, long buried memories popping into his head.  Just as before, whenever he walked, people got out of the way..it was easier that way, and a troll over a quarter ton is usually the one to win in a collision on foot anyhow, mentally communicating to the host.  "Unless a scene, as what will follow shortly, is private, write Torrent in as a nondescript student, if you will please.  Given the diversity, the program I don't feel will suffer much.  Should anyone else join, I would like the same treatment"

A few minutes of working through the various halls, the KE and Evo logos and maxims on display in regular intervals, Krestov came to a stop in front of a door.  On it, in a bold, professional ARO, was printed "Sgt. Boris Omarov, Superintendent".   Knocking ever so gently, two booms of dense knuckles on wood echoed before the troll opened the door, stepping in twice and giving a salute.  "Sir, I received word you requested to see me?"  He stood at attention until given leave to ease, then adopting a shoulder-width stance, hands behind his back.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <02-18-15/0424:39> »
The sergeant looked uncannily real, with his piercing stare and that little scar along his forehead that gave him that perpetually angry look.

"At ease, recruit." He closed a folder in AR that only he could see and pointed at a sturdy metal chair in the corner. He completely ignored the elf that had entered the room with Krestov as well as the VR doctor.

"Before I begin, I want to tell you, that your grades and your results have been excellent. You still have much to learn, but I am confident that you will make your way in no time."

The speech was slightly different than the one Krestov remembered, but it met the essence quite well.

Omarov continued: "Sadly, you won't accompany us on that way." The words hit like hammerblows, just like the first time around. Only now the doctor had again paused the program to give Krestov a moment to compose himself.

"To be frank: There have been complaints regarding our equal opportunities regulations. Some elements within the school see it as a violation of those rules to give rare augmentations to already physically favored students like you. Of course we won't remove those we already implanted in you - that would not be cost efficient. But we won't be able to keep you in the program any longer."

Again the doc stopped the program, this time putting a soft, warm hand on Krestov's shoulder and squeezing slightly in a comforting way.

"I am required to tell you that you will have to have left this installation at 1800 hours. Your company identity card has been voided already. EVO as your legal guardian  gave your consent to leave the program. Your account has been cleared and your remaining funds transfered into Nuyen minus the exchange fee of course. Any remaining debts regarding your implants have been generously voided.

Now, go to your room and clear out your locker. Please remove any patches and logos as well as your unit badge - that is if you can find them."
At this the sergeant winked conspiratorially, who seemed to believe that Krestov would want to keep some of the mentioned items.
"A driver will bring you to the nearest rail terminal of your choosing."
He paused.

"I am sorry.

That will be all.

Dismissed!"

Again, the program stopped and the VR Doc said: "Now you have the chance to say what you always wanted to say to Omarov, but were to stunned to express properly. We can restart from this point as often as you want to."
« Last Edit: <02-18-15/0427:07> by Jack_Spade »
talk think matrix

SgtBoomCloud

« Reply #9 on: <02-18-15/2021:18> »
As the troll sat, it was clear to see by the hardset jawline and clenched fists that Krestov was not having an easy time reliving this particular memory.  He was silent during the whole deal, but took full advantage of the pauses to compose himself, his back straightening and his eyes staring ahead at the Segeant, unblinking.  At the last pause, he nodded to the doctor and glanced to Torrent before indicating to resume, standing up slowly and clearing his throat.

"By your leave, I would speak frankly, sir.  If I am going to say anything on this, I would start by thanking you.  Taking me into this program gave me the idea that i had a purpose in something.  That felt very good.  I also know that you do not agree with these orders you have to carry out and fought hard to make the best of my situation.  I am grateful.  But let me tell you what will result from my expulsion and the events between now and my departure and what they will lead to."  He took a deep breath, staring hard at the Sergeant, unblinking still as he continued.

"By removing me from this facility, this career, and this life, you remove the purpose instilled in me since I began here a decade ago.  I will learn of the true causes that triggered these events, and in defending myself from further harm, end up committing an act that will blacklist me from any decent work suited to my skills in all of Russia. I will be essentially locked down and forced onto the streets.  And from there, I will descend into the shadows."

He allowed himself a little smirk.  "It is funny how both my physical and social training will work in that career...a unique and unexpected blend that works out quite well.  It is a cruel irony you create today, Sergeant: you send out a firm believer of the ideals of the Knights Errant away from the light to work against them.  You may hear rumors about me, but will never actually know if it will be me you send a team against.  And you will, twice I would wager, and I can owe my ability to defend myself to this facility.  To you.

This was my home.  My life.  My purpose.   Thank you for the ten years."
  Without another word he turned, the troll nodding to the others before he left the facility, shaking a little bit.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <02-19-15/0418:43> »
The sergeant nodded and saluted Krestov before he averted his eyes and sat once again behind his desk.

The VR doc followed Krestov out of the building and again the world paused:
"That was a very good first step. Now take a minute to take it all in, remember and think about the positive things you experienced afterwards. Especially think about the friends you made afterwards."

She pointed to the open ground where a sparring match with wooden knifes, paintball markers and paint grenades between Trovo and Malia had started.

Running from cover to cover Malia had already marked Trovo twice but now he had cornered her and was mercilessly attacking her with the wood replica of a combat knife.

"Now is a good time to also express your feelings to your former comrades."
talk think matrix

SgtBoomCloud

« Reply #11 on: <02-19-15/1142:48> »
Krestov remained contemplative the entire walk from the offices to the training grounds.  He paused as he saw Malia and Trovo fighting, and the paint marks on Trovo's uniform.  He gave a smirk at the memories.  "Malia was always a superior marksman, but Trovo is like me in CQC.  The fight is hardly balanced in any situation".. The trill hailed them to stop as he approached.  He frowned at the myriad of cuts Malia had sustained from the supposedly nonlethal knife Trovo was using, but he cleared his throat as he spoke.

"I was just informed my time here is at and end and want to say something.  "Malia, thank you for being a positive force in my life here, and teaching me the importance of having a trusted team.  I promise you it will be a lesson I will keep and use often.  Thank you.". His small smile fades as he turns to the male, his expression darkening.

"Trovo...I know what part you played in this, and my biggest question I cant find is why.  Why did you feel the need to step on me behind my back to seek the opportunity you, in my opinion, were going to earn anyway?  Through this act, you have proven you are the corporate child at heart and act on jealousy and fear.  You don't deserve to wear that KE badge.  I will not forget this.  Ever."

He turned his back to them, facing the doc.  "I have a few hours before I leave.  One last bout to settle things and remember times held dear...". He indicated to pause, looking directly at the observers.  "I wish my friends now to join me if they wish.  Is it possible to generate students comparable to them as Trovo is to myself?"

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <02-19-15/1258:46> »
The VR Doc cocked her head then answered: "Of course."

Instantly a series of three Trovos appeared on the sidelines. They all looked the same, but their camo gear were all different shades of blue, red and yellow, complementing the already existing green Trovo

Instead of markers and wood weapons, they were equipped with real combat knives and Ares Predators over their basic armor vests. Likewise the team found themselves equipped with the gear they had with them when they entered the pod.

"Do you need to equip yourself further?" With a gesture she opened a virtual weapons cabinet stuffed full with Ares and S-K weapons of every size and weight class.

"This is not a full class combat simulator - please excuse the lack of customization options. A corresponding update can be acquired through Ares DLC.

Please be advised that this simulation excludes real damage. You will instead feel hits through a corresponding stiffening of your body parts.
« Last Edit: <02-19-15/1321:58> by Jack_Spade »
talk think matrix

Sabato Kuroi

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <02-19-15/1317:59> »
"Kick some cop's   ass without worrying for the consequences?This is like Christmas"

SquirrelDude

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <02-19-15/1407:08> »
Slobbertooth appeared behind the duo, barely able to suppress his grin. "You had me at the free reign to pick any weapon I wanted" Slobbertooth grabbed an Ares Alpha out of the case, almost giggling now, and spoke to the computer."Request Modifications. Shock Pad. Gyroscopic Mount. Imaging Scope. Rating 3 Gas Vent System. Set ammunition to APDS."

Slobbertooth looked down the barrel of the weapon. "Triple one of the targets. Green. I don't want to ruin the other's fun." Slobbertooth was almost sorry that he had jumped in last but was first to start the fire fight. Almost.

Initiative: 4d6+13 23

Slobbertooth wasted no time aiming and instead unleashed a fully automatic burst into the crowd of 3 copies. Complex action. Splitting attack among all 3 targets (who take a -9 penalty to dodge). 14d6 (12+2 for improved ability [automatics]) split 3 ways.

Attack against copy 1: 5d6 19 w/2 hits Soak: 13p -6 AP
Attack against copy 2: 5d6h5 3 Soak: 14p -6AP
Attack against copy 3: 4d6h5 0 Soak: 0  :'(

Recoil: 1+2(Strength)+2(Ares Alpha)+1(Shock Pad)+3(Gas Vent)+6(Gyroscope Mount) = 15. -10 for complex full auto action. 5
« Last Edit: <02-19-15/1836:16> by SquirrelDude »
"normal speech"
"under your breath"
thought
Astral
"Matrix/email/..."
"sub-vocal"
" translated foreign language" (Foreign Language)