NEWS

Nightwraith Incident

• 39 Replies

raggedhalo

• Omae
« on: <09-08-10/0539:41> »
OK, so this has been bugging me for years.  Who was responsible for the Nightwraith Incident (basic info in SR4A, pg.29)? 
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-08-10/0545:05> »
No clue here, anyone else?
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #2 on: <09-08-10/0553:44> »
Theres so much rumour around that subject, its basically become impossible to tell for sure. The british? UCAS? CAS? Japan? Australia? There are to many factions who had the fire- and manpower to pull it off AND had a reason for wanting to put a stop to that madhouse.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #4 on: <09-08-10/0940:02> »
Certainly would fit. Obviously the initiator of the "incident" didn't want to be brought into the light, so what better course of action than using deniable assets.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Malachi

• Freelancer
  • Newb
« Reply #5 on: <09-08-10/1351:43> »
It has never been "officially" answered.

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <09-08-10/1447:26> »
Deniable assets may have performed the computer attacks and assassinations. The real deal is flying several stealth aircrafts armed with guided air-to-ground munitions over Europe, leaving no trace. It's not like stealth bombers are a widespread commodity.

Core books, London Source, Germany Sourcebook and Shadows of Europe gives little information. The odd part is, Great Britain does not appear to really stand out among the suspects like it should. Maybe the Brit provided some conclusive evidences, somehow challenging the aircrafts identification as Nightwraith. Still, according to the London Sourcebook, diplomatic relations between France and Great Britain became glacial from that point.

What amazes me the most in this whole story is someone had the guts to fly the planes in the first place. Right before the attack, Great Britain sent troops to the low countries to protect its interests, thus openly admitting they were threatened. Then someone had bombers that could pass for British models, coming from the North Sea and the general direction of the British Isles, and heading east. Had the Russians detected the planes, instead of the Swedes, this would have been the perfect trigger for a nuclear conflict.

It may worth noting US Air Force Major David Gavilan and corporate spook Lucien Cross were in Stockholm to launch the Nanosecond Buyout, on January 24th, the following day the Swedish air defense detected the aircrafts.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #7 on: <09-08-10/1449:48> »
To quote Conspir-I-See: "It was the Immortal Elves!!"

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #8 on: <09-08-10/1452:43> »
It may worth noting US Air Force Major David Gavilan and corporate spook Lucien Cross were in Stockholm to launch the Nanosecond Buyout, on January 24th, the following day the Swedish air defense detected the aircrafts.
I remember seeing a Shadowland comment that both Gavilan and Cross worked for Thomas Roxborough's company at the time too...

Bisharian

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <09-08-10/1728:41> »
I heard about this, but refresh my memory. Was this the incident that ended the Euro-Wars?
« Last Edit: <09-08-10/1738:44> by Bisharian »

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <09-08-10/1754:29> »
I remember seeing a Shadowland comment that both Gavilan and Cross worked for Thomas Roxborough's company at the time too...
According to Blood in the Boardroom (and other books, but BitB gives it as Game Information), David Gavilan and Lucien Cross worked at the investigative research division of Acquisition Technologies. The Nanosecond Buyout relied on software created by Acquisition Technologies people.

The Dragonheart Trilogy novels told us Thomas Roxborough owned Acquisition Technologies in 2029. He asked Gavilan to destroy Dunkelzahn-owned rival corp Gossamer Threads computers. Gavilan code got out of control and become the Crash Virus. Dunkelzahn later bought Acquisition Technologies, learn about this, and convinced David Gavilan to join Echo Mirage Team Two to repair his mistake.

According to Corporate Guide, David Gavilan joined Acquisition Technologies only after he left Echo Mirage.
« Last Edit: <09-09-10/1413:34> by Nath »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #11 on: <09-08-10/1832:17> »
Hmm... I think I need to go back and re-read Dragonheart. It seems I've forgotten some stuff...

BlackMyron

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <09-08-10/2322:12> »
  It wasn't just the bombers, though - assassins also killed more than a dozen key commanders the same night. 

As much as I hate to fall back on the usual suspects, there is one that stands out as having the influence and power to pull it off... plus a well-known interest in a united Europe.  And the following year, the Danube Union was formed...

The incident only ended Part One of the Euro-Wars; a cease-fire was signed the next day, but I don't know of any record of a peace treaty.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #13 on: <09-08-10/2332:09> »
  It wasn't just the bombers, though - assassins also killed more than a dozen key commanders the same night. 

As much as I hate to fall back on the usual suspects, there is one that stands out as having the influence and power to pull it off... plus a well-known interest in a united Europe.  And the following year, the Danube Union was formed...

The incident only ended Part One of the Euro-Wars; a cease-fire was signed the next day, but I don't know of any record of a peace treaty.
Actually, the Sixth World Almanac states that an armistice was signed shortly after the cease-fire was called.

BlackMyron

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <09-08-10/2341:59> »
 Thanks for the heads-up.  I curse every day that I can't get over my old-fashioned need for a hardcopy and not just get the e-version of Sixth World Almanac.

The pre-existing data for the Euro-Wars has been strangely scanty (I know that the earliest sources had them running to 2042!)