NEWS

clones

• 39 Replies

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« on: <07-05-14/1919:23> »
OK now it has been established that cloning is possible in the Shadowrun world.

I'm looking to use it in my current campaign and a couple of questions came to mind so I wanted to get people's thoughts.

1) If you clone an awakened person is the clone automatically awakened?
2) Does the clone have the memories of the person it is cloned from?

Those were the big two that I remember. I think there was something else but it escapes me at the moment.

Thanks for the feedback
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #1 on: <07-05-14/1927:46> »
1) No
2) No

Also, to put a further damper on things, 'force-grown' clones are mindless, and make newborns look like Einstein if taken out of their vats. Clones grown at the normal speed are little different from any test-tube baby, and retain no memories or other abilities of the 'parent'. And even if they are the clone of a mage who was the son of two mages, they won't reliably awaken. Basically the chance that a slow-grown clone will awaken/emerge is the same as anyone else. And fast-grown clones are good for nothing except replacement parts.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-05-14/1943:38> »
1) No
2) No

Also, to put a further damper on things, 'force-grown' clones are mindless, and make newborns look like Einstein if taken out of their vats. Clones grown at the normal speed are little different from any test-tube baby, and retain no memories or other abilities of the 'parent'. And even if they are the clone of a mage who was the son of two mages, they won't reliably awaken. Basically the chance that a slow-grown clone will awaken/emerge is the same as anyone else. And fast-grown clones are good for nothing except replacement parts.

But what about the Escaped Clone quality from 4th edition? I was under the impression that was a case of a clone for spare parts getting loose and deciding to run the shadows. How does that work if they're brain dead?

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <07-05-14/1947:22> »
ryo that is what started me down the line of thinking.

Mikron how long is slow grown as opposed to fast grown?
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <07-05-14/2222:37> »
'Slow-grown' clones are no different than test tube babies. In other words, no artificial stimulants to increase the growth rate, meaning if you wanted a copy of you as you are now (age 25), then you would have to wait 25 years. And Escaped Clone works with 'slow grown' clones, but it is explicitly said in Augmentation that fast-grown wimps are basically vegetables. A slow-grown clone, on the other hand, can live a perfectly normal life, because they're actually living, rather than just being put on 'fast forward' until their organs are the right age for harvesting.

My Characters

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <07-05-14/2229:05> »
'Slow-grown' clones are no different than test tube babies. In other words, no artificial stimulants to increase the growth rate, meaning if you wanted a copy of you as you are now (age 25), then you would have to wait 25 years. And Escaped Clone works with 'slow grown' clones, but it is explicitly said in Augmentation that fast-grown wimps are basically vegetables. A slow-grown clone, on the other hand, can live a perfectly normal life, because they're actually living, rather than just being put on 'fast forward' until their organs are the right age for harvesting.

The quality directly references wimps though. And I know I've personally used it to be the full grown clone of a person who was the same age, and had the Enemy quality for the 'real' version of him that wanted to get rid of the clone.

Quote from: Runner's Companion, page 97
At some point, someone made a clone from stored DNA: maybe your parents wanted their little girl back, maybe a rich corper thought this was his ticket to immortality, or maybe a megacorp grew a wimp for experimentation. Maybe she was accidentally released, saved by a kind soul, or misplaced at a clinic. Regardless, that clone eventually escaped into the world and realized its full potential becoming the character.

« Last Edit: <07-05-14/2235:50> by Ryo »

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <07-05-14/2233:29> »
Strictly speaking, if neuroplasticity could be preserved a wimp could be made "real" or however you want to term it by using something like a UV node...
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <07-05-14/2243:10> »
Strictly speaking, if neuroplasticity could be preserved a wimp could be made "real" or however you want to term it by using something like a UV node...
As of Augmentation, that is not possible. Corps have been trying, and they're not getting anywhere.

And Ryo, as I said, slow-grown clones could be viable individuals. A clone made a month ago isn't going to be able to do anything. However, a clone made eighteen years ago, that was 'liberated' or otherwise released into the wild, would be a viable 18 year old potential runner. If you're really interested in the clone angle, I suggest you read Augmentation, as it has the latest info we have on cloning.

My Characters

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #8 on: <07-05-14/2313:57> »
Mirikon is right, Augmentation changed things for clones. You can still take the cloned quality but now you are either a slow cooked one, or that 1 in billion freak accident.

Genetics seems to have less to do with magic then science wants to believe. Since Dunkie blew himself up, no one has claimed the billion neuyen reward for finding the 'awakened gene'. And you can bet some of the best minds in the world are looking for it!

Memories and skills come from experiences,  which a clone has none of.... they are a blank slate and have to learn everything anew.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <07-05-14/2317:18> »
Side note: Best guess from all I've read is that Awakened/Emerged is partly dependent on genetics, but there is also a layer of environmental factors involved, which throws off the results.

My Characters

Dangersaurus

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <07-06-14/0020:55> »
Runner's Companion came out a year after Augmentation (or maybe even 3 years later? My copy says 2010, but the list at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rCx_cTYYQk0gviAT3PHnu7MzPJFShA3jLM6V9e2AdkE/ says 2007). Seems like the newer book would take precedence.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #11 on: <07-06-14/0155:23> »
The quality directly references wimps though. And I know I've personally used it to be the full grown clone of a person who was the same age, and had the Enemy quality for the 'real' version of him that wanted to get rid of the clone.

At some point, someone made a clone from stored DNA: maybe your parents wanted their little girl back, maybe a rich corper thought this was his ticket to immortality, or maybe a megacorp grew a wimp for experimentation. Maybe she was accidentally released, saved by a kind soul, or misplaced at a clinic. Regardless, that clone eventually escaped into the world and realized its full potential becoming the character.

The quoted text doesn't mention whether the clone is slow-grown, or Miracle-Gro.

EDIT: I think everyone else may have stated the same thing, but I was slow in replying.  :P
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Dangersaurus

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <07-06-14/0203:05> »

The quoted text doesn't mention whether the clone is slow-grown, or Miracle-Gro.

EDIT: I think everyone else may have stated the same thing, but I was slow in replying.  :P

It's hiding out, but it's there.

Adeptus Technicanus

« Reply #13 on: <07-06-14/0829:49> »
Nice thing about being the GM, is that you can decide whether you want to allow Quick grown, or only slow grown run away clones.

Ishmell

• Newb
  • Don't be silly, everything has a melting point.
« Reply #14 on: <07-07-14/0849:45> »
Do these "quick clones" have fully developed brains, but just no memories?(tabula rasa?) If they do, they could be an almost ethical option for CFD inhabitation.
Majored in mechanics at law school.