NEWS

The grass is always greener - PbP 5ed

• 56 Replies

Celtibero

• Omae
« on: <05-18-14/1734:36> »
Looking for 2 players to run a campaign about 2 lone star (or KE) police officers, it will be set in 2050 using the "shadowrun 2050" book rules OR 5ed (still deciding and will take the players opinion into account)

think tech noir movies (Alphaville;  Blade Runner; Twelve Monkeys; Dark City; Minority Report;  Ghost in the Shell), the campaign wil revolve around the day to day investigations of a special crime unit that deals with shadowruners, corporate and magical crime.

what to expect:
- RP heavy, some combat but mostly RP.
- 2 to 3 posts per week.

information regarding application:
- first in are not first served
- full concept and small background on application
- 3 to 4 snippet  (very short) giving us a view of the character prior to the story beginning
- I will review the characters and background and i'll make a final call, the campaign will start  in about 2 to 3 weeks from now.
- I will also help any player(s) that want help creating the background and filling in the blanks (via post, pm or skype)

Use of material from 4ed is allowed on a case by case basis (qualities, some gear, etc etc)
« Last Edit: <06-02-14/2125:16> by Celtibero »
Thought
Speech
Matrix
Astral

Ericen

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <05-18-14/1758:03> »
Room for a Mage?
« Last Edit: <05-18-14/1812:22> by Ericen »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Celtibero

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <05-18-14/1759:40> »
room for anything except riggers probably, surprise me guys, the character is your, i am just the narrator.
Thought
Speech
Matrix
Astral

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <05-18-14/1810:24> »
Well, if we're using 5e/4e stuff.. I've got a quick snippet of a character.

4e Only (could also work in a mix of 4 and 5) - Silver - Ex- Lonestar or Knight Errant, but still often works alongside of them  as a private Eye. - He's a changeling that looks something like a unicorn. Works best as a Ex-Lonestar (Hence the name). Uses twin pistols, but usually just one. smokes and drinks constantly, as well as using his unicorn charm on women from time to time, (Sometimes without his intent)
Silver pulled down the shades to his office, looking out his window. A lone cigaret drifting smoke in the air as a ceiling fan idly spins above his desk, covered with papers, several mention a shaman by the name of Tonto. In the corner sits a guitar next to a old bottle of scotch. made in 2001, a terrible year, but a good year for this particular scotch. The door opens up, as he turns around, looking at the hot piece of action in front of him, her legs going all the way up. She was in trouble, that much was certain, as she pulls out a photograph from her purse. Her doggy was lost, The hell do I look like? A Pet Detective?

Taking a closer look, I notice that it was actually a paranormal critter known as a hellhoud. Damn, this woman was as dumb as she was gorgeous. I'll have to do something, money is tight. My old buddies in the force might have something to say about this, as it wasn't normal.

4+5 mix - Everyman - An adept with powers to change his face, voice, finger prints and the like. has the ability to call up all sorts of measurements and the like by just simply using his eyes.  I'll post a little more on him later.. and my 5e only character.
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
  • How do people add personal text under their name?
« Reply #4 on: <05-18-14/1825:04> »
I could borrow the books for 4E, I suspect. Need to read certain ones anyway.

Headed to a game in a couple hours anyway, so I'll ask. I think I may surprise with what I come up with  ;)
"Speech" Spirit/"Astral" Thought/"Subvocal" Matrix/"Commlink" "Totem" [Time/Date] <<Text&email>>

kalarin

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <05-18-14/2112:14> »
I'd love to get in on something like this :) 2 players sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

Let me have a think, I'll come back to you with a concept later today!

Are the characters going to have an existing relationship? Or will this be built up in game?
Thought
Speech   
Astral   
Matrix

Celtibero

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <05-18-14/2333:21> »
built up in game, action would probably start when the team is "formed".
Thought
Speech
Matrix
Astral

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <05-19-14/0101:33> »
Okay, I managed to borrow the books. All of them. And the PDFs. And the books for the prior three editions. I current have what felt like a couple hundred pounds of books sitting on my couch. My cats won't stop giving me dirty looks.

I'll look them over and have a concept up tomorrow, but I'm considering a decker character.
"Speech" Spirit/"Astral" Thought/"Subvocal" Matrix/"Commlink" "Totem" [Time/Date] <<Text&email>>

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <05-19-14/1227:44> »
Alright a change to the unicorn character, rather than being an ex cop, he's now a newbie cop. So full of life and vigor..

Ericen

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <05-19-14/1632:43> »
Ok here is Crimson's back round hope it is satisfactory,

Constance grew up in the shadow of her parents as they were two of the premiere weapon designers for Ares Macro Technology, they groomed her to follow in their foot steps. But she was always more of a active participant and not a hide in the office type. So when her parents realized she had aptitude for magic it changed their entire world. They applied for corporate approval for her to attend the most prestigious schools for magic. Including MIT&T, Constance devoured this knowledge and practiced non stop to improve herself.
It was her graduation day when the accident happened, somehow a corporate resistance organization found out who was at the school through corporate backing. Deciding to deal them a blow a bomb was set off at the graduation ceremony, most of the corporate children were killed, but Constance and one other child were just severely injured. Constance was forced to have her eyes replaced and a bioware implant to help correct her cognitive brain functions. When question all Constance could remember was seeing the boy tossing his backpack and running away. During her hospital stay she was informed that they bomber was killed during apprehension,
 As soon as she could safely travel she was whisked back to her parents at Ares so she could rehab and decide what was next. Her mother had decided since her daughter was very upset about what happened and how they still had no idea of the radical group that was targeting their home maybe Constance's unique skills could be of use. So after talking with her superiors it was decided after after her healing and rehab were completed she would enter into the Knight Errant academy and strive to move up the ladder and put a end to the corporate raider group that bombed her and her home. When Constance's mother told her of the plan she became excited she can actually use her skills to help her corporation and increase her father and mothers reputation in the corp. The training was grueling and intense. On top of combat skills she had to learn detective skills, forensics and learn them all again from a magical perspective. As her classes progressed she finally met someone that she could look up to as a magical mentor, Colonel Anne Ravenheart.

The colonel was there to teach her magical threat class covering insect spirits and the hive mentality. She spoke in depth about Chicago and the horrors she faced. Constance visibly shuddered at the descriptions of the insect spirits and could not imagine something so evil it even makes a putrid Oder in astral space.
This was the first time she realized that she must make it a priority get a weapon focus for astral combat, she learned to use magic as a vicious weapon to protect her team and family. At the end of her training she graduated with commendations for bravery and commitment.
She was assigned to a special team to find bombers that attacked her and her corporation. She decided the best place to start an investigation was at the beginning so back to MIT&T, after viewing the security footage, talking to faculty she found out there was a local poly club working into the student body and rumor has it they had set several bombs including the first one that changed her life forever. After infiltrating the club since she looked very much like a human she was taken to meet the other members, holding the terrible feelings  inside to not risk the investigation she played along as she was introduced to the members.

After listening she realized this was just a branch and the orders had come from a much higher up in the organization in another country. So she decided she would arrest these scum and figure out how to move the investigation along. So she let fly stunning magic in a wide area and methodically dropped every member, she cuffed them and turned then over. Another pat on the back and a new partner and assignment.
This is when Constance started learning that she would no longer being staying at home in the corporate enclave, she will be out in the wilds. Traveling to other cities and countries trying to make the entire world safe for her corporate home, make the world safe for her mom and dad. Constance's dream was to make her parents proud and she knew the only way to do that was to benefit the beloved corporation.

It did not take a lot of time for her to realize that Knight Errant was the big stick of Ares, and everything they did was not about helping people. But she also knew that her parents were counting on her, she started solving cases that were thought to be unsolvable. She started raising in the ranks, She was a rising star in the ranks of KE.

She would get messages from her parents beaming with pride, she had become quite a detective and was combat tested with normal and magical threats. The entire time she has her eye on the prize. Col Ravenheart's elite special operations unit. Everything from here on out is the process of achieving that goal,
And this is the start for Crimson...
« Last Edit: <05-20-14/1108:32> by Ericen »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Celtibero

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <05-19-14/2024:05> »
I was talking about the matrix and i actually remembered what used to tick me off about the earlier editions, deckers where sitting at home and mostly they contributed nill to the team when it was down to a field trip, thus if everyone is ok i will be using 5ed rules and timeframe, the 4ed will come in hand for stuff that people want to import from there (and that to which there is no sorcebook yet available)
Thought
Speech
Matrix
Astral

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <05-19-14/2052:27> »
Welp. Saves me from learning a new system. I just need it for the fluff now (made a mistake and mentioned that story I'm working on here to the group).

Anyway, here's the character...

Concept: Somewhat sarcastic detective who is having a hard time adjusting to the new bosses and still wants to do things the old way. Not fired yet because he does get results.

Background:

Michael Jefferson was born and raised in Tacoma. Both of his parents were Lone Star officers, and he did not hesitate to follow in their footsteps. He graduated the Lone Star training program with unremarkable marks but enough technical skill to qualify for their Matrix division. And then, just as he was about to get his first job, Brackhaven happened. The newly-graduated police officer suddenly found himself without a job. He spent a single week holed up in his apartment and trying to find work elsewhere before finally deciding to sign on with Knight Errant.

Immediately, he came to understand that things would be different. Not the way he was taught. Not the way his parents did it. But the new, Ares-approved Knight Errant way. He did not appreciate having to go through KE's education when he already knew the job, and liked it even less that he was being teased by people younger than him  For the most part, he got along with them. Sure, every once in awhile an accident would happen and his face would collide with one of their faces. But the bad luck seemed to spread, as usually not too long after the KE computers would glitch and the one whose fist met his face would end up assigned to something humiliating, like being used for cavity search practice. But the accidents barely slowed him down and, soon, he passed. Now he's ready for his first assignment... and he hopes his partner isn't one who had an accident.

kalarin

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <05-20-14/0241:05> »
I was talking about the matrix and i actually remembered what used to tick me off about the earlier editions, deckers where sitting at home and mostly they contributed nill to the team when it was down to a field trip, thus if everyone is ok i will be using 5ed rules and timeframe, the 4ed will come in hand for stuff that people want to import from there (and that to which there is no sorcebook yet available)

This makes things a lot easier for me :) when are you wanting details? Do I have a little time to think about this before I submit something?
Thought
Speech   
Astral   
Matrix

Celtibero

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <05-20-14/0403:05> »

This makes things a lot easier for me :) when are you wanting details? Do I have a little time to think about this before I submit something?

plenty of time to think, you guys have more than enough time to develop the character, i am only planning to make the connections (between the characters) 1 week prior to starting the game, like i said, i wanted to make this one into a campaign, the drawback is the slow post rate (I really have too much on my hands atm but i really wanted to tell this story) but that also enables people to think over the options, characters etc etc.
Thought
Speech
Matrix
Astral

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <05-20-14/1346:55> »
Well, set in 2075, there is some changes to Silver I'd be doing. First off, going female instead of male. Could still go male if needed. Also.. since lone star is now knight errant, I'm looking at a different name for her being a possibility. There is two forms she could take. One is a Magician the other A Technomancer.

Silver was born into the world, almost pretty much a unicorn child. While the doctors and her parents were shocked, they kinda came to expect this sort of crazy thing happening anyways as her Fairy Godmother. Yes, she did indeed have a Fairy Godmother. An elf shaman by the name of Fitzlebroom Mizo'tok. Weather or not that was the godmothers real name isn't ever clear to most anyone. A seelie from Ti Di Nog, she always tries to be helpful for those under her care, often weather they like it or not.

So at the attempt of making her the most pretty  girl ever, Fitzlebroom ended up causing a surge to happen in the unborn child. This surge of course caused her to be a unicorn, possibly a manifestation of the family's coat of arms

So, despite being born a freak, the enchantments became bound to flesh,  and most people viewed the little unicorn girl as being beautiful or adorable. As time went on, her parents, as she had been told were scientists, suddenly disappeared. Despite the best efforts of the local police, hardly a trace had been found to lead them anywhere. Her grandfather took her in after that, as a former cop himself and began to train her, at her own request, to becoming a cop and finding out what happened to her parents. The only clue she has is the name Torgo, and the remains of a manor where her parents were last seen at. Rather, a distinct lack of the manor being there, only an empty lot.

Mystery and magic surrounds her, as she strives to become a paranormal investigator for Knight Errent. While tough work, and having to spend some of her own money on modified gear for her unusual body shape, she managed to pass. The hardest part where the boys, each of them enthralled with her due to the enhancements her fairy godmother put on her. As well as the stealth tests.. Her natural beauty causes her to shine, right in the middle of the dark, making stealth practically impossible for her.

And now a newbie on the force with a shiny new badge, her toughest challenges await her.

Register