NEWS

The grass is always greener - PbP 5ed

• 56 Replies

Ericen

• Chummer
« Reply #15 on: <05-22-14/1115:41> »
Okay snippet master:

I remember listening to my mom telling me the story,
 Mom found out she was pregnant and her and dad were so happy, but they still had the same worries as any meta human parents, do they have to fear their child's suffering. That is when I found out why uncle max and aunt Annette become such close family friends.
They are geneticist for Ares specializing in bioware acceptance, so they offered to help mom and dad, they said with a few gentle bumps the more human traits could show as opposed to dwarven.
    I would appear to be a very short Caucasian girl with light dwarven highlights to my features, if you examine me up close you could eventually figure it out. Mom and dad saw this as a way I could be away from Ares enclave and not be in danger from the purest they call themselves.
   When I was born everyone was looking strangely at my parents, I finally understood they were wondering if my father was really my father. But I knew the truth, and so did anyone else that mattered.
   This is also when mom came to they idea that something Uncle Max and Aunt Annette did to me released the magical talent I have. So even then my parents went beyond normal to help their little girl have a easier life than they did. And without even knowing it created the Combat  Mage I am today.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Ericen

• Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <05-22-14/1555:35> »
Looking back it is really hard to imagine my parents being able to realize my needs so early in my life before I even knew. They had went out of their way to make friends it seems that I will need my entire life.
   Here enters Gordon Taylor a very interesting elven man that my parents said they new from the old country, what ever that means. They told me to listen to his advice he would teach me the dirty side of magic. The stuff a prim and proper university doesn't teach a student.
   So as I grew to know Gordy as I was told to call him, he started teaching me about combat magic, powerful attack formulas and defensive magics. He said you also need to learn what keeps a Mage alive.
  He said sit Constance, give me the ring your mom and dad gave you. I told him this was my birthday present when I was 10, he said I know that is why were using it. He lit several candles around a drawing he had made on the floor. As I sat and handed him the ring he released it and it started floating in the middle of the circle.
   Concentrate on the ring, imagine all your love, all the wishes your parents have for you, how fast you are going to need to be to outmaneuver a cyber'd enemy. Recite the spell I taught you, focus, concentrate. Recite, as I focused all my emotion all my love for my parents the ring started glowing. The gem sparkling and flaring to a bright light. We both said the spell over and over, I could feel my will shaping the spell, I noticed that Gordy had laid out 5 small rocks that glowed and disappeared the farther we had gotten in the spell.
   Finally we were both drenched in sweat, the ring had settled to the floor, the candles were out and the rocks were gone. Gordy had a huge smile on his face, You my little Crimson just made your first focus. Put on the ring and touch the gem.
   My god I moved like lighting, I moved just as I started the thought, he said touch the gem again, the world returned to normal.
   Constance that is how a combat Mage stays alive, next time we work on Armor.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

ismilealot

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <05-24-14/0042:13> »
"I'm not particularly a nice girl. And I'm definitely not a "good girl". But, I am most definitely my father's dau. I guess that's what I'm doing sitting here. In this office, at this desk, sorting through the different jobs and their leads.
     Dad was a detective too. But dad was Master Sergeant Andrew Laurence. Detective for the UCAS Navy's Military Police. And I was his stubborn, stupid, ganger dau. I didn't exactly get him killed. That was my boyfriend. He's dead now too. Throat slit in a prison yard fight. I'm glad, glad I put him there, glad he's dead. When my investigations led me to him, and the others in the gang I was in when dad was murdered. I took my boyfriends gun and shot him point blank in the face. The boyfriend I'd left home for when I was 15. The boyfriend that had me in a gang of devil posers. And I was all in alright. Earned my 'tats, and eventually my horns. Stealing, running drugs, whoring if that's what the gang said to do. Back then there wasn't anything I didn't think I'd do for him. Until a chance comment by Tia, Asmodeus girl let me find out it was Johnny that'd killed my dad. My dad, on an undercover job.
        I'm not sorry I shot him in the face. I've never been sorry about that. Just sorry the lying SOB had it reconfigured for him only. He'd had it configured for the both of us  just a month before. Told me he loved me, told me he trusted me, told me sharing his gun was a sign of that. When that gun didn't go off he laughed at me and said, "Stupid slut, you really think I'd trust anybody with my gun." He'd hit me then, hard enough that I hit the back wall. His problem was he didn't kill me with that hit. And I came back at him. We both did a bit of time in the hospital after that.
    But when I got out Tib's took me in. Tib's, my fathers old partner. And the one person as interested in tracking my fathers killer as I was. Tib's is actually the only reason I'm alive. He came in while Johnny and I were trying to kill each other. Johnny would have won. Some of the other members of the gang were there and they would have stepped in to kill me if Johnny'd actually gone down. But that's when Tib's and several other undercover cops came in chasing my dad's killer and a drug ring.
      When I got out of the hosp. Tib's took me in and sponsored me into the academy. And then trained me for undercover work. Said, "You're your father's dau kid. You're a natural at this."
      I can't bring my father back. But, I can be his dau. And thus the paperwork, and today's leads. It was supposed to be hot today. Yuck, I hated how much that made the horns itch when I sweated. Oh well, the horns and the 'tat's helped me blend in the 5th Ward, and that's where I'd be hunting a child serial killer today and everyday until we caught him."
« Last Edit: <11-25-14/0209:32> by ismilealot »
Thought      Speech     Astral     Matrix/com       Mentor/Spirit     other lang.

Celtibero

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <05-29-14/2108:33> »
last week, anyone wanting to submit, better do so now ;)
Thought
Speech
Matrix
Astral

griffalo

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <06-01-14/1148:43> »
Well, I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to Shadowrun Tabletop, but I was wondering whether pitching a medtech-related concept might work? Was well on his way to becoming a fully licenced DocWagon employee before addiction caused him to be sent packing. I figure he'd be pretty skilled in crime-scene analysis when it came to biological evidence, and also good at patching up his comrades in a pinch?

Anyway, let me know if you're interested in taking on a newbie who has a better grasp of concept and RP than he currently does of mechanics!

Celtibero

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <06-01-14/1608:38> »
I would have no problem at all in that regard (SR newbie) as long as you make have fun and the character fits the mould I will consider it.

regarding your concept: since you would be working for a law enforcement corporation (Knight Errant), how did you fail docwagon?was the drug abuse discovered? did it went into your file? how did you pass the screening process?
Thought
Speech
Matrix
Astral

griffalo

• Newb
« Reply #21 on: <06-01-14/1623:14> »
I'm thinking that he was fully qualified, but he made a critical error while high. DocWagon didn't want to publicly admit that one of their staff had a substance problem, so he was dismissed. And since he's a medtech, it's possible he knows about ways to fool drug tests.

Celtibero

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <06-01-14/1930:21> »
tell you what, just drop the following (as per OP) in this thread:

- full concept and small background on application
- 3 to 4 snippet  (very short) giving us a view of the character prior to the story beginning

If you need/want i am on skype.
Thought
Speech
Matrix
Astral

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #23 on: <06-01-14/2231:10> »
it sounds like fun, im just trying really hard to learn the 5th ed rules like the back of my hand. i dont wanna go gettin it all muddled up in there.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

ismilealot

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <06-01-14/2253:35> »
If you want to play Poindexter make a chara. I don't know the rules at all and am struggling to learn them. Celtibero is patient, knowledgeable and an excellent teacher. Make a backstory and throw your hat in the ring.
Thought      Speech     Astral     Matrix/com       Mentor/Spirit     other lang.

Celtibero

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <06-02-14/0435:23> »
Poindexter, Smiles is way too kind :) but fact is, knowing the rules like the back of your hand is not a requirement to play on this case, if you want, just submit a character and iŽll take a look at it.
Thought
Speech
Matrix
Astral

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <06-02-14/1105:30> »
no, i mean that im really consciously trying to learn the 5th ed rules so my face to face game im running goes smoother. I worry that if i start getting conflicting rules going in my head, i'll screw myself up.
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Ericen

• Chummer
« Reply #27 on: <06-02-14/1242:02> »
Just remember everything is a chance to learn more. We use Skype and talk to each other and ask questions of each other. Put up a character and story. You can join us on Skype and talk about the game, rules and characters.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Celtibero

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <06-02-14/1255:56> »
no, i mean that im really consciously trying to learn the 5th ed rules so my face to face game im running goes smoother. I worry that if i start getting conflicting rules going in my head, i'll screw myself up.

You really lost me there pall :)
Thought
Speech
Matrix
Astral

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <06-02-14/1354:28> »

You really lost me there pall :)
then allow me to over-elaborate. :)

I'm rather new to the 5th ed rules and im running a game in person every tuesday. i keep having to look stuff up and it kills the pace of the game.
To counter this, i've been trying to learn the 5th ed rules as well as i can.

i worry that if i start throwing new rules in my brain from another very similar system that it will fuck up my quest, which is to know 5th ed nearly instinctively.
« Last Edit: <06-02-14/1357:54> by Poindexter »
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Register