NEWS

Shadowrun 5th Edition Errata Released

• 117 Replies

martinchaen

« Reply #45 on: <02-10-14/1631:06> »
Yes! Confirmation that Stolen Souls is being worked on. Score!

Now if we could just get a Sybil of our own into the minds of the devs, we would know what they were working on. Must start coding...

[/glibness]

:D

Insaniac99

• Omae
« Reply #46 on: <02-10-14/1725:42> »
Kanly and Namikaze, Apologies that don't reply to you directly, with Jason Posting here the rest becomes a little moot. but hopefully I address you in my reply to Jason.

Unfortunately, demands on my time are long, so forum time is not always possible. I will do what I can.

In this discussion, please remember that compiling errata is not a matter of simply writing down the points that ended up in the document. If all I had to do was write the document that was distributed, yes, it would have taken a very short amount of time. What actually happen was review of comments from initial users, compilation of initial errata, review and discussion, more detailed review of the book, more detailed discussion, some playtesting to see which of multiple solutions were the best, gathering points from many different outlets, writing them in two different forms (proofing comment style for layout, more user-friendly style for posting), sending them to layout, then preparing laid-out text for distribution.

That all happens while the Beginner Box Set, Stolen Souls, Splintered State, Gun H(e)aven 3, Run & Gun, Coyotes, Runners Toolkit: Alphaware, Shadowrun: Crossfire, Missions, Street Grimoire (upcoming magic core rulebook), and more are being worked on.

I mention that for one reason: Be careful assuming that anything in the RPG world is easy …

Jason H.

Listen, I understand.  I'm not expecting up to the minute information or as in-depth as I describe.  I just want at least a trickle on the forum, as much as you can manage.  Letting us know when you face delays would be a great start, also posting on the forum when you finish a step would be great.  Even a "we're about half of the way done on ___" would be nice.

If you could do that and then just try a few replies to questions each week, I'd be super happy.  I know Hero Games have their forum set-up with a special board where only Steve Long can reply to the questions and has a 1 question per topic set-up.  If your forum supports something like that, it might make it easy for you any maybe a few others to give official answers.  see here for example: http://www.herogames.com/forums/forum/32-hero-system-6th-edition-rules-questions/

I don't know if that is possible, and I understand it could take a little to set up, but if you could do something similar and post here as you make progress -- well I can't promise everyone would be happy, but I would be content, and I'm sure it would be a long way towards handling most anyone else's problems.
Check out my all purpose Shadowrun Die roller and Probability generator: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=13241.0

JM_Hardy

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #47 on: <02-10-14/1742:13> »
I will do what I can to at least post something here on a more regular basis, which I admittedly have been bad at.

Jason H.
Jason M. Hardy
Shadowrun Line Developer

"The thing is, I’m serious about what I do, and the people with whom I associate are serious about what they do. We’re all serious people. Look, I can even make a serious face. See?" --Quinn Bailey

samoth

• Chummer
« Reply #48 on: <02-10-14/1747:14> »
While you're here, can you explain why/how you chose the specific eratta points that we received?  There are a LOT of confusing/conflicting rules that need cleaned up, that have been common knowledge since the PDF was released in June, and have been discussed at length by members of this forum and freelancers who work for you.

Simple things like:

It's very telling that they didn't bother changing ONE WORD to make the Binding skill have a use:

The test
is an Opposed Summoning + Magic [Force] v. spirit’s
Force x 2, and it inflicts Drain equal to twice the hits
(not net hits) on the spirit’s defense test, minimum 2.
Additional net hits beyond the first add to the number
of services the spirit owes.

Nobody doubts you guys are busy, but come on man that was a known error day one of the PDF release and wasn't deemed important enough to flesh out the 1/2 page of white space on the eratta fix?

Insaniac99

• Omae
« Reply #49 on: <02-10-14/1800:46> »
I will do what I can to at least post something here on a more regular basis, which I admittedly have been bad at.

Jason H.

Thank you. 

FYI I just bit the bullet and bought the PDF of the box sets and coyotes; at a skim, I am really liking the Plots and Paydata in the boxset.  I have some players who want to try their hand at GMing and this might be the perfect thing for them.
Check out my all purpose Shadowrun Die roller and Probability generator: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=13241.0

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #50 on: <02-10-14/1824:14> »
I'm also not buying the "typo" explanation. Most of the sample character changes are single character changes. Some of the NPC changes involve deleting skills, but they didn't delete lockpicking from the characters, but did drop it from the skill list.
There are more issues than a couple mistaken skills in the sample characters, and I consider them very important - the samples should show you what you can make. They should show a consistent baseline helps us all start on the same page and know what we should be doing: what's legal and what's invalid. Having samples that have "a little extra" added only throw us into confusion when we are going through character creation and then see the sample for what should be a fully (missions) legal character so we all know where we can/should start from.

It's an error, yeah. If it's not in the errata already, it will be soon. Thanks!
I'm a little concerned about things like this [the Submersion mis-calculation] that have been known but haven't been fixed.

Now, if only one or those two issues were present, I wouldn't be making as much of a fuss as I am.  If this errata document came out 5 months ago, I would say it is a great start and thank them for getting it to us as quickly as possible.  If the errata was much more complete and/or had the inclusion of the master changes list then I would probably be okay with it taking 6 months.
I do not believe anything in this sentiment is wrong. Is there an expectation that more could have been done? Yes, but I think that having high standards is a good thing as long as we're aware that there are many things going on and these things can be fixed.

If anyone wants a list of the full changes, drop me a line at info@shadowrun4.com. I'll set up a distribution list to send out that document for those who want that level of detail.
Thank you for the offer, I do hope that in the future there will be a more complete list including those small changes is made for those of us who do not have a PDF version.

Thank you for the assurances of having a decision-maker interacting with us here, I look forward to seeing you.

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #51 on: <02-11-14/0544:24> »
Unfortunately, demands on my time are long, so forum time is not always possible. I will do what I can.

In this discussion, please remember that compiling errata is not a matter of simply writing down the points that ended up in the document. If all I had to do was write the document that was distributed, yes, it would have taken a very short amount of time. What actually happen was review of comments from initial users, compilation of initial errata, review and discussion, more detailed review of the book, more detailed discussion, some playtesting to see which of multiple solutions were the best, gathering points from many different outlets, writing them in two different forms (proofing comment style for layout, more user-friendly style for posting), sending them to layout, then preparing laid-out text for distribution.

That all happens while the Beginner Box Set, Stolen Souls, Splintered State, Gun H(e)aven 3, Run & Gun, Coyotes, Runners Toolkit: Alphaware, Shadowrun: Crossfire, Missions, Street Grimoire (upcoming magic core rulebook), and more are being worked on.

I mention that for one reason: Be careful assuming that anything in the RPG world is easy …

Jason H.

Jason, since your attention is here, at least for a little bit, should we presume then that things that did NOT make it,
such as the "supposed" error on Submersion Grade for Technomancers being a multiplier instead of additive, and
the one adept having a ranked Critical Strike, instead of multiple critical strikes for multiple skills, should not be
considered errors, but intent of design?

shadowrom

• Newb
« Reply #52 on: <02-11-14/0554:41> »

This is the type of short post lots of people were trying to get for quite a while. List of projects, some status update. \o/
Now let us try to work on frequency. I know that you and us both would rather have finished products than forum posts but the latter does not take that much time.
Create a topic in the "Official Announcements" and lock it afterward if you do not feel like answering tons of questions, but updates about the RPG are important to us.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #53 on: <02-11-14/2131:55> »

Jason H.

Jason, since your attention is here, at least for a little bit, should we presume then that things that did NOT make it,
such as the "supposed" error on Submersion Grade for Technomancers being a multiplier instead of additive, and
the one adept having a ranked Critical Strike, instead of multiple critical strikes for multiple skills, should not be
considered errors, but intent of design?

The errata document says more is coming so I don't think that is a reasonable assumption. Critical strike is supposed to have onyl 1 level, the brawler is in error i am sure.  It is a really, really dumb rule as it makes super burly supreme strength as a requirement as opposed to a benefit for unarmed combat. But it seems to be intended.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #54 on: <02-11-14/2137:24> »
Critical strike is supposed to have onyl 1 level, the brawler is in error i am sure.  It is a really, really dumb rule as it makes super burly supreme strength as a requirement as opposed to a benefit for unarmed combat. But it seems to be intended.

Unfortunately for character types that aren't roid-rage Monster Truck Trolls, it does seem so. Especially since the Roid-Rage Monster Truck Troll is what has been said is all they really looked at when making the decision to do it that way.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Psikerlord

• Omae
« Reply #55 on: <02-14-14/0451:18> »
Thanks for the errata so far devs.

I am a bit surprised there was nothing about (i) limiting conjured spirits to one "active" spirit at a time, (ii) limiting armour on cyberlimbs, (iii) stacking jammers doesnt work, (iv) optional rule adding some kind of dodging of grenades and possibly AoE spell effects..... ?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #56 on: <02-14-14/0627:30> »
I suspect 1 will be in the FAQ, 4 is rather weird since they made clear that's not supposed to exist so you'd expect a note "remove that line", 2 and 3 aren't really something that's currently required to be 'fixed' or 'explained'. It's quite logical that Jammers don't stack, and limiting armour on cyberlimbs would be a houserule.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #57 on: <02-18-14/0745:46> »
Did a quick read through the list of typo changes. Leaving aside the obvious typos, there's a few things I noted:

Skill groups are confirmed to be improved at a rate of [new Rating] x 2 weeks.

Barrier example modified to clarify that the FA attack did 4 points of damage. (Only one of two presences corrected though.)

Resting example confirmed to be a limited test.

Submersion costs are not corrected yet.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #58 on: <02-18-14/0754:05> »
Resting example confirmed to be a limited test.
Meaning it's an extended test and you roll one less die each time interval? Or is there a limit in place now?

That submersion thing is really starting to approach the level of obnoxious joke...
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #59 on: <02-18-14/0755:09> »
Limited Extended, yes, my bad. They actively note that one die is lost each time. It's also noted to be 4.5 hours (2 hits and probably 1 hit required, haven't checked the example itself).

Register