NEWS

The Year of Shadowrun, In Review

• 108 Replies

Wildcard

• Omae
  • Hex.tall was here.
« on: <01-09-14/1309:42> »
Figured last year is good and over, might as well review what we actually got from what we were promised back in December of '12.

First off :

SHADOWRUN : CROSSFIRE
Spring 2013

For the first salvo of the year, Catalyst will publish Shadowrun: Crossfire, The Adventure Deckbuilding Game. Designed by Fire Opal Media, it features the very best designers in card games: Gregory Marques, Mike Elliot, Rob Watkins, Rob Heinsoo, Jay Schneider and James “Jim” Lin.

... Nope. What was supposed to start the year off never came around. At all. Details have been kept quiet. While one would expect card lists, descriptions, and game mechanics to be readily available by this point, FOM hasn't even updated their website. Laughable. The Catalyst crew was doing their best at GenCon to promote the game for FOM, but it seemed like 'The very best designers' wanted nothing to do with the product.

Grade : F

Next up, Shadowrun 5th.

Summer 2013

The year will continue with Catalyst’s launch of the Shadowrun, Fifth Edition RPG. Shadowrun, Fifth Edition is the latest version of one of the most popular and successful role-playing settings of all time.

Released first at origins, and then late re-released at GenCon, the latest edition of SR arrived 8 years after the 4th edition launched. The product improves greatly upon 4th in a number of ways, but seems to skew heavily against things that were never broken in the first place. It seems likely that 5th suffered from an incestuous playtesting and development cycle, where mechanics and ideas  hat were perceived as problems by a select few, were destroyed or otherwise heavily nerfed. For example, when asked during a public Q&A session at GenCon why Technomancers were nerfed so heavily, J. Hardy infamously responded : "Because we thought they were too powerful."   So they went ahead and made Technomancers useless. I suppose that was some sort of compromise between the old grognards who hated anything new, and the few reasonable writers left. Bizzare choices for inclusion also abound. Why the fuck is their a Shark mentor spirit? Do we really spend that much time in the water to justify such a silly addition?  Why is it even in there? Oh. Because once again, insular design and playtesting. Pure stupidity.

The Matrix section received a very nice mechanical upgrade, being more streamlined and easy to use then ever, but left several key questions unanswered. Further, while it seemed early on that deckers would be able to participate in combat using their matrix skills, the character generation system presented in 5th doesn't actually allow a decker to do anything meaningful in combat, and most times, unable to hack as well as they could in the matrix.  The defenses suggested for basic hosts and targets, when they aren't downright illegal by the rules of the game, are too high for an "average" decker to break with any regularity, making the work done to improve the basic matrix gameplay in the firstplace  almost useless.

Further still, despite an earlier promise to keep up with questions asked, be more open to the community, and not leave unanswered problems festering like they did in the past (which they at times vaguely blamed on a number of reasons), needed errata has been noticeably absent. Instead, there's an obvious push to crank out new product instead of fix the existing ones.

Grade : C+

Next up, Sprawl Gangers

Fall-Winter 2013

The next big release for the year occurs with Catalyst’s publication of Shadowrun: Sprawl Gangers, a tactical miniatures game designed by Ross Watson and Randall N. Bills.

Still no sign of a release date. Their choice to go with CoolMINIorNOT, who's creations of oversexualized, gravity-defying bizzarely-proportioned naked women for most of their miniatures product,  clearly puts their target market at sex starved nerds. Perhaps if the choice was made to use a less scummy outfit, the game would have been released already.

Grade : F

I'll combine the snoozefest of the save-less SR Returns, and the complete absence of SR:Online, and put the video game grade at a D.

OVERALL Year End Grade : D-

Could have been great. Addled by delays, broken product and promises, and completely lack of accountability. Maybe this coming year we can look forward to last years product? Maybe?
I was permanently banned from the forums for consistently attacking my fellow posters and trolling the boards. I thought I could get "revenge" on FastJack for being banned by updating my sig to insult him, but all it proved was how much of an idiot I am.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #1 on: <01-09-14/1508:48> »
Despites of your poor judgement, your evaluation fits.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-09-14/1707:32> »
Really? If you can't be bothered to keep up with updated information how do you expect us to take you seriously?
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Wildcard

• Omae
  • Hex.tall was here.
« Reply #3 on: <01-09-14/1713:53> »
Please post a link to the official errata released for SR5, and the links to purchase Sprawl Gangers and Crossfire, and I'll amend my review.
I was permanently banned from the forums for consistently attacking my fellow posters and trolling the boards. I thought I could get "revenge" on FastJack for being banned by updating my sig to insult him, but all it proved was how much of an idiot I am.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-09-14/1735:19> »
I had a lot of plans and wishes, well I barely call them "The year of Sichr`s dreams come true", unless I had real idea how to make it happen.
On the other side, I stil have SRA and SR:R to play, so I don`t mind too much :)

Wildcard

• Omae
  • Hex.tall was here.
« Reply #5 on: <01-09-14/1739:38> »
I would have been ecstatic with a hasty remake of the SR Genesis game. As it was, it's like a fair SR novel with no real choice or consequence most times. Gets me in the mood, is fun to watch, and I'm a proud backer, but I don't see replaying it dozens of times like the original.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <01-09-14/1749:33> »
Soon, Berlin is comming. And lots of playable UGC was also fun.. I was, in fact really interrested in Crosfire. That one makes me really sad.

$/@mm-0!

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <01-09-14/1801:06> »
For a second there I thought I was on dumpshock. :o. Eh SRR was ok, I could only play it though once, I even tried to play the fan made DLC but stopped at a few as I just grew board of it. SR5 as we play more of it im starting to like it a lot more then SR4 but we are only on our first game so that might fade. Its pretty bad they are past the promises but if it leads to a better products then im ok with it just let us know about it in the future. I still hope SRO is at least half as awesome as they keep telling us it will be, I will be one happy chummer.
$/@mmZ3r0

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #8 on: <01-09-14/1803:13> »
The only purpose for this thread seems to be to try to draw people into a flamewar.  I think this would be more productive if the review was passed along directly to someone at CGL for review.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #9 on: <01-09-14/1804:34> »
I think they're quite aware they bit off more than they could chew, given statements they've made. And they are bummed about it as well. It's a shame, but whelp.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Insaniac99

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <01-09-14/1825:46> »
I'm not really familiar with Shadowrun or the design team -- being relatively new to the PnP -- but for what it's worth, here's my take.

I don't like the lack of involvement that I see from the dev team.  For example my two main RPGs before starting to play Shadowrun were Hero (what used to be Champions) and Mutants and Masterminds (M&M) on both forums, especially right after the print release of the books, the design team, including the head writer (Usually Steve Kenson or Steven Long).  Not only did they both have a very well laid out FAQ but they actually engaged with the fans like people.  They would tell the community about plans as they could and when things don't go according to plan, they were honest with what was going on, made apologies and moved on.

That type of behavior engenders more trust and cash than this trend of practical silence that I've seen from Catalyst.
Check out my all purpose Shadowrun Die roller and Probability generator: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=13241.0

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <01-09-14/1834:30> »
I really don't care much about the Not-Catalyst stuff that failed to meet the deadlines. Yeah the boardgames and card games are nowhere to be seen, half the video games are vaporware and the other half sucked, but Catalyst doesn't control those people and can't really be blamed for their failings. At the very least they came through on 5th edition, and I'm happy about that.

What I'm NOT happy about is the shocking lack of communication regarding things like errata and progress on upcoming products. The Errata is nowhere to be seen and nobody is talking about it. The FAQ continues to be missing, and even the FAQ thread stopped receiving official responses back in October. (Official-ish. How official Aaron's responses were is hard to determine.) The blog rarely updates, and the other pages on the website, like 'upcoming releases', never get updated. The best guess anybody has of what we have to look forward to as far as Core Rulebooks go are a few name drops of the different books scattered about, with no actual official word on what the next book planned is, let alone when it's planned to come out. I assume its Run and Gun, since that's the only Core Rulebook listed on the never updated 'upcoming releases' page, but whether they're aiming for the end of January or halfway through September for that book is anybody's guess, because nobody is talking.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #12 on: <01-09-14/1846:14> »
I've seen plenty of dev team involvement, Insaniac, they are however limited in what they can say due to the NDAs.

Tzeentch

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <01-09-14/1852:18> »
The best guess anybody has of what we have to look forward to as far as Core Rulebooks go are a few name drops of the different books scattered about, with no actual official word on what the next book planned is, let alone when it's planned to come out. I assume its Run and Gun, since that's the only Core Rulebook listed on the never updated 'upcoming releases' page, but whether they're aiming for the end of January or halfway through September for that book is anybody's guess, because nobody is talking.
Hmm, yeah not sure why the release schedule isn't updated. As far as a published schedule goes you can see some listed in the intros of the various products. So far the following have been listed or mentioned:

Introductory Box Set 1
Introductory Box Set 2
Stolen Souls (setting sourcebook, CFD metaplot)
Run and Gun (core rulebook)
Runner's Toolkit, Fifth Edition (box set player resource)
Shadows in Focus: Sioux Nation (setting sourcebook)
Aetherology (compilation book)
Street Grimoire (magic sourcebook)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #14 on: <01-09-14/1903:00> »
Also Data Trails for the matrix.