The Year of Shadowrun, In Review

• 108 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #30 on: <01-10-14/1847:00> »
YMMV
Exactly.  My Year Of Shadowrun made me an award-winning author rather than just a published author.  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #31 on: <01-10-14/1850:08> »
Well deserved. IMO it isn't your work most of people is questioning. Or lack of your posts :)

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #32 on: <01-10-14/1907:21> »
While it's true the Year of Shadowrun is not what it could have been, and as everyone else I'd love to hear more about the status of Crossfire and Sprawl Gangers, it's not been a total failure either. We still got SR5 (the lack of errata didn't prevent me from thoroughly enjoying it, but we make a very light use of rules at my table anyway), some great products (Storm Front, Splintered State, the SR5 GM screen), Shadowrun Returns, some cool short stories (especially Neat)...
Instead of lamenting on what 2013 could have been, I'm personally looking forward to what they will release in 2014. In my humble opinion, 2014 is the year Catalyst cannot waste, as it is the 25th anniversary year for Shadowrun. In a way, it actually makes more sense for all the cool stuff to be released in the coming months :)
« Last Edit: <01-11-14/0443:38> by Marzhin »
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #33 on: <01-10-14/1910:16> »
I myself cannot wait until we get Dragonfall.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #34 on: <01-10-14/1957:15> »
Well deserved. IMO it isn't your work most of people is questioning. Or lack of your posts :)
I had people question my work on Gun H(e)aven 3.

Or just wanted someone to blame for that damned carbine.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

martinchaen

« Reply #35 on: <01-10-14/2309:24> »
Gun H(e)aven 3 was yours, CanRay? Nice, thanks! Thoroughly enjoyed the Krime line, and it's not like a sensible GM can't house rule the Carbine until an official errata comes out.

Like some others, I enjoyed 2013 for what it was. Certainly got our group to the table more frequently than ever, and I for one am looming forward to more.

I will second the requests for more official communication; for sure it's a resource drain, and I'm sure we are the vocal minority, but things like that are very much appreciated by myself (and hopefully people like me)...

Agonar

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <01-11-14/0220:44> »

Ah yeah, that carbine...  You should probably disavow any knowledge of that one
GM of the Relative Dimension, Actual Play Podcast
www.relativedimension.com

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <01-11-14/0242:37> »

So it was you!

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #38 on: <01-11-14/0248:32> »

So it was you!

String him up!

Jeeves

• Chummer
« Reply #39 on: <01-11-14/0251:08> »
had people question my work on Gun H(e)aven 3.

I liked GH3. I'm spoiled for gun choices now. Hell yeah! Lever-actions are classy. The fact that it gave rules for SR20A and SR5 was very kind, IMO.

Now seems like a good time to add my two cents.

I started playing shadowrun in 2009 with some friends in the basement of our dorm, and I didn't join the forums here until later. When I did, it was because we weren't gaming in person as much anymore, and I still wanted to feel like I was part of a shadowrun community. the fact that the first post I had was replied to by Fastjack dropped my friends jaws, for pity's sake.

I understand that forums vary in their activity levels, but I feel like there's been a sharp decline in activity since SR5 came out. I remember that CGL seemed to make posts on their website at least every other week.

My request is in line with the others here: I accept that NDAs and so on keep you from disclosing info, but even a bi-weekly "we hear you and we're working on things." message would really help raise my spirits (no summoning pun intended) for the community. This corner of the web has done so much for me, allowing me to grow as a gamer and GM. It's even given me hope that maybe I might be able to contribute to the game somehow. It's also helped my writing a great deal. I don't need CGL to break its rules, and I'm not asking the freelancers to do that either. I don't think the small updates are unreasonable.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #40 on: <01-11-14/0418:20> »
Gun H(e)aven 3 was yours, CanRay?
No, just proofread the work.  My first time doing that, and I think I did a good job.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #41 on: <01-11-14/0630:06> »
1/33 error margin is below the significance limit, so... ^_^ I really like GH3, barring that single one.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

shadowrom

• Newb
« Reply #42 on: <01-11-14/1030:51> »
Yeah, sorry, no on the Amazon thing. Amazon lies about a LOT of release dates of a lot of things. There's nothing Catalyst can do, especially since Catalyst aren't the ones selling there to begin with. Besides, Amazon has been doing this for quite a while now. What makes you think they'd actually listen and put a "TBA" in when contacted? And when a topic was made, backlash came up.

As for your example, you're noting a release date there. But that's exactly what CGL refuses to do, they do not give out any info on release dates exactly to prevent disappointment and backlash from delays.

Allow me to disagree on the former and express myself better on the latter:
I still feel that an official press release on the home page and a link on the header of every page of the site would go a long way preventing/mitigating the backlash.

I concede that my example was poor. Lets try something like: "We are currently proofreading Data Trails. It is about 30% done. Runner's companion is having some problems at printing, so expect some delays for the physical book. More on that when we have new information". It is not about the dates, it is about letting us know (in an official way) what is going on.

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #43 on: <01-11-14/1046:11> »
Speaking as a longtime freelancer only, and not as a representative of CGL (the following are my recollections and not official company answers in any way, shape, or form): We did that once. The company did, that is. The situation with discontent was even worse than it is now, to my recollection. There were a lot of other things that affected what was going on, and the ituations were admittedly not identical, but we used to tell people what was gong on, and the company got lambasted for delays and dealing with incompetent vendors anyway, so it was decided (as I recall events) that we wouldn't tell when things were out until we could actually tell someone when it was going to be out.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <01-11-14/1123:13> »
So the decission is to talk about the things that just happened, not about those that are going to happen? Or the fact is, that there are no release dates for upcomming products/errata known?