NEWS

First review for Shadowrun Returns.

• 75 Replies

Nacho

• Newb
  • Sent 20 minutes from now...
« Reply #15 on: <07-26-13/1321:14> »
This happened... so, I bought some stuff at the beginning of the game for my main character and decided to share some items with Jake (in case he needed some gear during a battle).... then that drek leaves the game - and took my gak with him!!  So, I lost about 200 nuyen worth of gear.  If the game knows that Jake is not going to be there - it should not have let me give him stuff.  Grrrr....

That and no "save when I want" feature are the only two complaints I have about the game thus far.  Otherwise, fun times!
/// Nacho

Need a job done?   contactmrjohnson.com     ///     @ThisIsMrJohnson

Ankheg

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <07-26-13/1335:42> »
That and no "save when I want" feature are the only two complaints I have about the game thus far.  Otherwise, fun times!

You still can rewind save to needed 'checkpoint', so to say. Also, you must consider what rescources you are giving to your hired mercs and team. You should just keep one though in mind - you are you. Everyone else is everyoe else. No one will stay with you till the end of all. So if you are giving resources to someone, consider it like a gift to them. All this biz is mostly your own deal, and you can ask people to help, but no promises to stay forever.

Nacho

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <07-26-13/1353:45> »

You still can rewind save to needed 'checkpoint', so to say. Also, you must consider what rescources you are giving to your hired mercs and team. You should just keep one though in mind - you are you. Everyone else is everyoe else. No one will stay with you till the end of all. So if you are giving resources to someone, consider it like a gift to them. All this biz is mostly your own deal, and you can ask people to help, but no promises to stay forever.

Yep.  Now I know...   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pele5vptVgc
/// Nacho

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #18 on: <07-26-13/1531:38> »
Matrix stuff is kinda fun. About to go into a showdown with a killer...at which point I expect things to go massively sidewayzs. No way I've beaten this so soon...there's gotta be more.

Or I could go read a couple of stories in the anthology. We'll see how things shake out.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Wilhelm R.

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <07-26-13/1733:26> »
Matrix stuff is kinda fun. About to go into a showdown with a killer...at which point I expect things to go massively sidewayzs. No way I've beaten this so soon...there's gotta be more.

Or I could go read a couple of stories in the anthology. We'll see how things shake out.

Soo much more...   I'm in what I can assume to be the home stretch... and, well, without spoiling anything, I got some BIG names getting involved.  :D

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <07-26-13/2104:40> »
Best part of the anthology "I mean--a burger in bucket. How could I say no?"

Will withhold speaker due to spoilers.... But damn that whole story is magic...., as well as the one wirh our green Mohawk elf :)

Best damn game I have ever bought (good game + SR fiction = best.)

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <07-26-13/2210:59> »
Game is way too short. If they're gonna make it completely linear, they should at least pad out the main campaign. I only have 15 hours on this thing and I'm already done, and that's counting several hours I left it paused while doing other things. 20 bucks for 15 hours of gameplay feels like a ripoff.  that's like a $1.30 per hour. Every other game I own on Steam came out to at most 50 cents per hour, and in extreme cases, fractions of a penny.
« Last Edit: <07-26-13/2215:04> by Ryo »

MaxKojote

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <07-26-13/2313:38> »
Managed to get past a slight bug and finished as well. I'm assuming they're planning to release further content as time goes on... But it's still rather lacking for a release. I guess another major thing is supposed to be the editor, but for those of us with zero design skills that's not as big a thing. On the upside, it was an enjoyable game and playing a decker was fun. Just a tad short.
Spoken
Thoughts
Matrix
Astral

Fang (Auburn Logrolling)

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #23 on: <07-26-13/2315:47> »
You do realize that this one release campaign is not all there will ever be, right? They're working on the Berlin campaign, plus the editor is there so that anyone can make story arcs (and some already have). Life on a Limb and A Lost Lamb are both available through Steam Workshop. Life on a Limb is part of the Shadowrun Identity project where a fairly large collection of folks are working to eventually make as many classic modules as possible using SR:R. And there will be more campaign stories from the Harebrained folks than just Dead-Man's Switch and the Berlin campaign. It's just that backers get Berlin for free.
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.

Nacho

• Newb
« Reply #24 on: <07-26-13/2318:58> »
Game is way too short. If they're gonna make it completely linear, they should at least pad out the main campaign. I only have 15 hours on this thing and I'm already done, and that's counting several hours I left it paused while doing other things. 20 bucks for 15 hours of gameplay feels like a ripoff.  that's like a $1.30 per hour. Every other game I own on Steam came out to at most 50 cents per hour, and in extreme cases, fractions of a penny.

If you are concerned with your ROI on playtime vs. cost...  play it two more times through using different archetypes - and then you'll be closer to 43 cents per hour.  I am only about three hours in playing a mage, but already I'd like to play it again with a Decker.  There are also a growing number of fan-created scenarios which will extend your play to cost comparison.

I have never really considered games in the $10 to $30 range to be ones where I needed drek-loads of content to keep me entertained for days on end.  I have Skyrim for that.  Games like "Journey" on PSN where you can finish in about three hours, but you paid $10 for the game... that's ok, because those three hours were glorious indeed.  I guess it simply depends on the game.
/// Nacho

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <07-26-13/2321:44> »

If you are concerned with your ROI on playtime vs. cost...  play it two more times through using different archetypes - and then you'll be closer to 43 cents per hour.  I am only about three hours in playing a mage, but already I'd like to play it again with a Decker.  There are also a growing number of fan-created scenarios which will extend your play to cost comparison.

I have never really considered games in the $10 to $30 range to be ones where I needed drek-loads of content to keep me entertained for days on end.  I have Skyrim for that.  Games like "Journey" on PSN where you can finish in about three hours, but you paid $10 for the game... that's ok, because those three hours were glorious indeed.  I guess it simply depends on the game.

Is the mage better than the shaman was in the Genesis game?
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <07-26-13/2332:10> »
That doesn't really work for me, as I'm playing a decker/rigger/adept/summoner.

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <07-26-13/2340:29> »
Yes, they're making more content, but I'm gonna have to pay for those too, so that doesn't really help with me feeling like it costs more than it was worth.

And playing through it again just sounds tedious, because I already know everything that happens. The game is completely linear. There is no replay value. Sure, I could do all the fights again as a different archetype, but I would just be skipping through all the text, so I'd finish even faster.

As for the steamwork shop stuff, that would be more interesting if the content I've seen so far didn't look so terrible. Maybe in a few months, the quality modders will start releasing stuff, and I'll pump a little bit of life back into this thing, but right now the pickings are slim.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <07-26-13/2346:02> »
Honestly, I don't really think there's much room to complain there. Just like I don't believe that the people who start an MMO at launch and rocket to max level in a day or two and then ***** about a "lack of end-game content" have any room to complain--they did it to themselves.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Ankheg

• Newb
« Reply #29 on: <07-27-13/0438:34> »
As for the steamwork shop stuff, that would be more interesting if the content I've seen so far didn't look so terrible. Maybe in a few months, the quality modders will start releasing stuff, and I'll pump a little bit of life back into this thing, but right now the pickings are slim.

So, Ryo, you are assuming quality of people work (in editor mod-s), when game is only 2-3 days after its' release?

By the way, another nice project, people
- http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=163841297&searchtext=