NEWS

First review for Shadowrun Returns.

• 75 Replies

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #45 on: <07-28-13/2253:08> »
...as well as the one wirh our green Mohawk elf :)
Glad you dug that one, Frankie!  Green Lucy's a heck of a lot of fun to write, and as soon as I knew about a few of the main plot's flavor, I just had to go for the chance to write some 2050's-era Ancients (plus I got to sprinkle in some plot seeds, a few that've already hatched in the 2070s, a few that are waiting for future products).

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #46 on: <07-29-13/0145:00> »
Nostalgia goggles are a hell of a thing.  I remember playing both those games, still do to this day, and love them.  But you're building them up quiiiite a bit...

Nope, sorry. I still take the Sega game out from time to time and enjoy it very much. Much more than I enjoyed Shadowrun Returns. The Sega game is simply better. Ok, the graphics are not that hot, but the rest? Better.
GMTool - PreAlpha released (also on SourceForge)
Random Ramblings about Shadowrun (german only)

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #47 on: <07-29-13/0843:15> »
I liked the Megadrive game better than the SNES game, and Returns is more like the SNES game linearity-wise - but atmosphere-wise, I find Returns does better than the SNES game and comes closer to the Megadrive game. So while I did enjoy the Dead Man's Switch storyline (except for the part where during the final boss fight, a bug caused me to be unable to use my fetishes, and my drone somehow only had 2 AP instead of 3 until I spent some leftover Karma on raising my Spirit Summoning from 4 to 5, which didn't fix the fetish thing but at least returned my drone to the 3 AP it should have), I particularly look forward to seeing people implement the random runs from the Megadrive game.

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #48 on: <07-29-13/1048:58> »
So finished the game on Sat, got to say all the plot tie ins were amazing. For those who have not read Nigel Findley I really hope you get a chance. If you liked Neat by Critias then the Nigel books are the "big brother" to Neat. Both capture SR perfectly for the time periods they are written in (Nigel 2050, Critias 2074). For those who did not know Nigel left our world way way to early. In this game you get to see some plots Nigel introduced in his novels played out further. This alone makes the game to me priceless. Thank you everyone who worked on this game, its story, and the stories in the anthology.

Critias you nailed Lucifer and the Ancients perfectly. Thank you:)

Ghoulfodder

• Chummer
« Reply #49 on: <07-29-13/1218:38> »
Matrix stuff is kinda fun. About to go into a showdown with a killer...at which point I expect things to go massively sidewayzs. No way I've beaten this so soon...there's gotta be more.

Or I could go read a couple of stories in the anthology. We'll see how things shake out.
I was thinking this. Then in true Shadowrun form things got all twisty turny and I'm now alternating between "This is so kewwwwwllll." And "I'm so boned"

I was not expecting some of the NPCs to turn up, let alone to be running with them.  :o

Just finished. Should have seen that coming.  >:(
« Last Edit: <07-29-13/1502:07> by Ghoulfodder »

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #50 on: <07-29-13/1505:33> »
From the first minute of the game. ;D

Cherno

• Newb
« Reply #51 on: <07-31-13/1217:07> »
Yesterday, I finished my fourth playthrough in a row. I so far played as Street Samurai, Shaman, Melee Troll and Rigger. I must say that all but the Melee character were great fun, especially the Rigger felt very powerful with his two 4 AP drones (the best combat drone deals 4 x 22 damage per round at long ranges).

Putting in 4 points into Charisma and Conjuring helps things alot because you get access to Haste II, Haste III, Shadow and Lightnign Barrier which are all pretty useful spells, and that counts for every character.

The game still has quite some bugs that I'm surprised no one in testing found, so I hope that future patches will clean those up.

All in all for the 15 EUR I paid for it via KS it's certainly satisfactory, with close to 30 hours of playtime thus far.

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #52 on: <07-31-13/1750:43> »
Wow, so I thought I had my top stories picked in the anthology... But hatchetman showing up was awesome. I like how the fellow Street Sam just sat there stunned as Hatchetman went into action. Please do not get me wrong, all the stories are damn good. I just love these cameo's popping up.

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #53 on: <08-01-13/0745:31> »
By the way...

[spoiler]Looking into the game's files, I found portraits for Green Lucifer and Ehran the Scribe... But I don't recall meeting them during Dead Man's Switch. Did I miss something, or were they ultimately unused in the game?[/spoiler]
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #54 on: <08-01-13/0927:51> »
I had the ultimate split-second cameo in "Blowing Sky High," but no one's called me on it yet. It was literally just a walk-on, a la Hitchcock's appearances, but it was fun. Someone else had a lot more fun with the character, though.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Dracain

• Omae
« Reply #55 on: <08-01-13/1020:17> »
I am have only beaten the game once, but I've quite enjoyed it, though I have heard some people complaining that it is easy to just max quickness, rifles, and dodge, and you are unhittable, while being able to basically instakill anyone in sight with full auto.  I haven't tried a gunner yet, so I cannot weigh in on this, but does anyone else have anything to say about this?

Also, while I do agree this is more a toolset, and that DMS is more a demo then anything else, I do wish it had more decking in it.  I played a Spellslinger, but I did notice a lack of decking except for a few points, which where awesome.  I just wish there was more scenes like the elevator decking one. 

I also noticed that normal difficulty (I play that first because that is usually the difficulty the game is designed around) is very easy, even for a normal difficulty.  I only think I died in one scene, and that was because I had really low hp (never upgraded because I hadn't needed to so far) and they focused the main char. 

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #56 on: <08-01-13/1117:49> »
It's completely correct based on my experiences playing through the game.  Pumping Quickness, Dodge and Rifles means you murder everything with Full Auto and are essentially invulnerable.  The only things I ever had to attack twice were...

[spoiler]
the flesh forms and Jessica.
[/spoiler]

Ghoulfodder

• Chummer
« Reply #57 on: <08-01-13/1213:11> »
From the first minute of the game. ;D
Absolutely, something even ambled across my mind, but I just mentally shrugged.

I'm such a goof.

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #58 on: <08-01-13/1404:52> »
Patrick: damn I was going to say something about greenie on the stairs. It just slipped my mind when I was posting last. I have to say that I am going read this one like every other Of my favorite SR novels... Over and over again. It is kind of sad how excited I get when I see a classic SR figure in a story. Even worse when it is one of the iconic street Samurai, from Janey, Nameless, turtle and kid stealth to Gbost-who-walks-inside, Hatchetman, and Argent.

After the muscle I love the mages, and I hope with Seamus that we see him in 5E due to being a long lived race? It would be awesome to hear about his tumble (if there is one???)from mother Corp to the shadows:). The shadows need such a strong representative of the dwarven race. Thanks for the great story, and all the work on 5E.

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #59 on: <08-01-13/1500:55> »
Just noticing all the little touches on my second go through the game. I really loved the Dunk for President poster, a white dragon in a blue suit and a red tie, heheh.

Register