NEWS

Best SR5 Firearm?

• 38 Replies

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« on: <07-19-13/2315:18> »
What's your favorite SR5 firearm?

I really like the Yamaha Raiden. What's not to like? Hard to get is the downside. The best part is the name though. It's a great excuse to shout "Fighting every day!" like the Mortal Kombat demigod that leaps at people.

Yamaha Raiden: This electronic-firing assault rifle is state-of-the-art. The Raiden is very accurate and is quickly being adopted by japanacorp security forces
and the Japanese Imperial Marines. It features an integral sound suppressor and smartgun system, and the
electronic firing mechanism and design provides 1 point of Recoil Compensation.

Accuracy 8 with the wireless on, damage 11P, and a ridiculously generous 60 bullet clip.

phydaux42

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <07-20-13/0001:28> »
I play a little more black trenchcoat, so walking down the street with an assault rifle isn't really an option.

That said, this IS still Shadowrun. ;D

My gun bunny carries two heavy pistols - A Ruger Super Warhawk with a laser sight & ADPS ammo, and a Remington Roomsweeper loaded with flachettes.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-20-13/0214:09> »
I really like the Yamaha Raiden...
One big downside is that it is Forbidden - 14
This mean you can not buy it at chargen...

I used to be a Ares Predator semi-automatic Heavy Pistol fan and will probably stick with that in SR5 as well :)

...but limited to one attack action per phase and recoil that does not reset between phases or even combat turns got me thinking...

Is it possible to install a gasvent 3 system in a pistol (or can you attach a pistol to a a gyro mount)??
- That would let me fire 1 bullet per action phase for 6 (or 9) phases without taking a recoil hit (which would make it "as good" as the single shooter that you have to reload after 6 shots - but with the extra benefit of having access to the 3 bullet complex action semi-automatic burst).

...also, accuracy Limits actually make light pistols just as deadly as a heavy pistol, when/if you get big enough attack pool to often hit Limit, since +1 accuracy give you the potential to +1 net hit and that equals +1DV. Colt America L36 for example that got on average -1DV but a base +2 accuracy without attachments actually have the potential to deal more damage per shot than your average heavy pistol (but you need to get some 15+ attack dice before it start to matter)

edit: as for the "Best SR5 Firearm" to answer your title. Yes, I think Yamaha Raiden get high on that list. For trolls the Krime Cannon is pretty buff as well.
« Last Edit: <07-20-13/0234:09> by Xenon »

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <07-20-13/0239:33> »
I will say that, with the recoil rules, and the "you don't get 2 attacks anymore," for the first time ever, the Warhawk is
actually a serious contender for a sidearm. Only downside is that paying three times the cost for one to get it with
an internal Smartgun.

Now, I have not gotten a chance to test things out, but I am going to hazard a guess that, with the upped damages,
that 6 rounds for a Warhawk is probably going to pretty much last most gunfights that are not in a target rich environment.

Basic

• Ace Runner
  • the game is rigged
« Reply #4 on: <07-20-13/0337:23> »
I love my colt government 2066 with silencers
--Is today the day you thought about doing something, or the day you did something?--

--We cheat Death from his rightful victory. No one can defeat us we are glad to plunge feet first into hell in the knowledge that we will rise.--

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <07-20-13/0449:47> »
I'm inclined to say Ares Light Fire 70, with periscope/imaging scope, external smartgun, & custom silencer. The gun itself is the cheapest pistol above holdout level at 200 nuyen - entirely disposable after detaching the mods. (and it's restricted, rather than forbidden like the 75)

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <07-20-13/0520:05> »
The Ares Light Fire 75 is not really an option anyway. See :

Accuracy: 6 (8 with smartgun system)
Damage: 6P
Mode: SA
Ammo: 16(c)
Availability: 6F
Cost: 1,250¥
Attached integral silencer applies an additional -1 dice pool modifier.

Now let's take a look at the Ares Light Fire 70 :

Accuracy: 7 (9 with internal smartgun system)
Damage: 6P
Mode: SA
Ammo: 16(c)
Availability: 3R (5R with smartgun system)
Cost: 200¥ (1150¥ with special silencer and internal smartgun system)
Special barrel-mounted silencer applies an additional -1 dice pool modifier.

The LF70 is easier to find, less restricted, cheaper, more "accurate," and the silencer can even be removed if you want.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <07-20-13/0604:36> »
That depends on whether you follow the chart for a result of 600 with smartgun;
Smartgun system, internal
Availability: (+2)R
Cost: (Weapon Cost) x 2¥
or the description for a result of 400 with smartgun;
Retrofitting a firearm with an internal smartgun system doubles the weapon’s price and adds 2 to its Availability.

With the description being cheaper than the 75, I'd say that's probably not the correct entry. (I'd also be expecting SR5 Arsenal-equivalent to give stats for an integral silencer at -6)
« Last Edit: <07-20-13/0613:26> by Novocrane »

samoth

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <07-20-13/0618:05> »
The Light Fire isn't an option for me since it only does 6P damage, while the Colt America L36 does 7P (if we're just sticking with light pistols).

In my opinion the "best" i.e. what I would use are: Steyr TMP Machine Pistol with Gas Vent III, comes with Laser Sight, add a Smartlink if you want; Ares Alpha, an obvious choice for any Automatics user, in fact it's so good I don't know why you'd use any other assault rifle except possibly the Raiden.

FuelDrop

• Omae
  • Popping stims, it's time to go to work.
« Reply #9 on: <07-20-13/0625:04> »
The Cavalier Arms Crockett EBR isn't bad, apart from the massive price tag. Good basic accuracy (even better with smartgun), good damage, good armor penetration, good range, and it's available at chargen. No full auto, of course, and ammo is rather finite, but it's still solid for a heavy combat run.
"When in doubt, C4" - Mythbusters. As true in 2070 as when it was first spoken.

"You're wearing WHAT?" - Group reaction when our street sam walked into a meet wearing light military armour.

Ghoulfodder

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <07-20-13/0715:36> »
The Cavalier Arms Crockett EBR isn't bad, apart from the massive price tag. Good basic accuracy (even better with smartgun), good damage, good armor penetration, good range, and it's available at chargen. No full auto, of course, and ammo is rather finite, but it's still solid for a heavy combat run.
Yeah, that one caught my eye. Functional combination sniper rifle and assault rifle for those more heavy assault / out of public view type runs.

The Yamaha Raiden looks like something to aspire to as well, if only because the picture looks sexy as hell to me.

I need to double check the rules but the Styer TMP looks quite attractive as a back up for mages mages / hackers now. You can use a few ranks in Pistols for SA and then have one rank in Automatics to chuck out suppressive fire if you need it, because it doesn't suffer from recoil penalties for that.

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <07-20-13/0927:11> »
Frankly, and this is without testing anything in play yet, I do not see bursts other then short bursts to be that important
anymore with the loss of narrow bursts. Ultimately, I am thinking that Single Shot weapons are going to see more use,
and Burst Fire is going to be a more acceptable option then laying down the lead hose. I mean, i see the sequence with
a Crockett as "Take aim, shoot" or "Switch Mode, take aim, shoot." (actually...I expect taking aim is going to be much more
common, as well). Of course, this is just theory-crafting. But, my first impression of weapons:
Hold-out Pistol:Streetline Special w/ Smartlink
Light Pistol:Fichettic Security 600 w/ Smartlink
Heavy PistolPistol: Colt Government 2066 or Ruger Super Warhawk(either with smartlink added)
Machine Pistols(Valid now because of their special rule that you use pistols in SA): Ares Crusader
SMGs:FN P93 Praetor(add a smartlink) followed by the SCK Model 100
Assault Rifles: Ares Alpha
Sniper Rifle: Crockett for versatility, but Reminton 950 for actual sniping (both adding smartlink)
Shotgun: AS-7(with smartlink added in)

honourable Mention: Defiance EX-Shocker Taser w/ Smart link

jamesfirecat

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <07-20-13/1336:17> »
Ares Alpha because it has an underslung grenade launcher built in and I'm sorry but if you have a situation where you can use grenades no hand gun is going to do be more effective than a 18P-2AP AOE attack that only needs 3 hits on your attack roll to land directly on target and they get no resist roll against it of any kind to get out of the way unless they're giving up their next action to get out of the way.  (DNI Implants and slave grenades to your hacker's Deck if he can't keep that from getting hacked having a grenade explode on you is the least of your problems)

If you're in a situation where you can't use grenades then the fact that it has -2 Recoil comp compared to the Raiden's 1 is much more useful than the Raiden's extra 1 accuracy.  With smartlink on you're only going to need that 8 accuracy if you've got something around 24 dice to roll when you're shooting without spending edge first.

Ghoulfodder

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <07-20-13/1539:35> »
Frankly, and this is without testing anything in play yet, I do not see bursts other then short bursts to be that important
anymore with the loss of narrow bursts. Ultimately, I am thinking that Single Shot weapons are going to see more use,
and Burst Fire is going to be a more acceptable option then laying down the lead hose. I mean, i see the sequence with
a Crockett as "Take aim, shoot" or "Switch Mode, take aim, shoot." (actually...I expect taking aim is going to be much more
common, as well). Of course, this is just theory-crafting. But, my first impression of weapons:
Hold-out Pistol:Streetline Special w/ Smartlink
Light Pistol:Fichettic Security 600 w/ Smartlink
Heavy PistolPistol: Colt Government 2066 or Ruger Super Warhawk(either with smartlink added)
Machine Pistols(Valid now because of their special rule that you use pistols in SA): Ares Crusader
SMGs:FN P93 Praetor(add a smartlink) followed by the SCK Model 100
Assault Rifles: Ares Alpha
Sniper Rifle: Crockett for versatility, but Reminton 950 for actual sniping (both adding smartlink)
Shotgun: AS-7(with smartlink added in)

honourable Mention: Defiance EX-Shocker Taser w/ Smart link
Description of Hold Outs says they can't take accessories. Doesn't that mean you can't add the smartgun system. At least until weapon mods come in in a later book?

Not sure whether that should apply to retrofitting internally or not. RAW I'd say no.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <07-20-13/1618:33> »
Is it possible to install a gasvent 3 system in a pistol
Yes it is, gasvent lost all restrictions on what you can instal it to(most likely a result of adding the progressive recoil into the game)

And yeah Yamaha Raiden looked really sweet until i saw the forbidden at chargen availability and just desided to skip Automatics skill all together.
But the EBR is super sweet package.
"An it harm none, do what you will"