NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1125 on: <06-07-14/0101:57> »
is there a difference between Flechette Ammo that is used in Rifles and Shotgun Ammo used in Shotguns ?
 (except for Shotgun choke )

with a different Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #1126 on: <06-07-14/0307:26> »
If a Rifle has no Burst Fire capacity (only SA ) what Skill do you use it for
is it Longarms or Automatics ?

Well, there are 2 kinds of rifles in the core book. Assault rifles and sniper rifles. Assault rifles uses the automatics skill and sniper rifles uses the longarms skill.
In the core book, all assault rifles has burst fire cabability. Are there assualt rifles not capable of other firing modes than (SA)? even if so, by RAW and unless otherwise stated they would oddly enough still use the automatics skill.

Can You specialize in Aimed shots (no matter what firearm and without taking a pos Qual. ) ?

Well, I dont think you can "no matter what firearm" as in you cant take aimed shots once, and have it work for pistols, automatics, longarms and heavy weapons. I dont know if you can take Pistols (aimed shots)? its not as crazy as pistols (SA) or pilot ground(wheeled) so at my table Id likely allow it, but I have no rules to back it up.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1127 on: <06-07-14/0336:53> »
@ Aimed Shots I meant can i take
Pistole (Aimed Shot)
Automatics (Aimed Shot) and/or Longarms aimed Shot
or even Throwing (Aimed Shot)

Are there assualt rifles not capable of other firing modes than (SA)?
Yes f.E. the Rainforest Carbine

Hokahey
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Argyle

• Newb
« Reply #1128 on: <06-14-14/1820:36> »
I'm afraid I don't have anything to chime in on the current topic, but I'd like to ask a question that I haven't found a solid citation for in either SR4 or SR5.

Is it possible for a skillsoft (activesoft, knowsoft, linguasoft) to have a specialization in it?

I've seen a number of folks state that you can't have a specialization for a skillsoft, but I can't find a distinct citation for that in any book I've got. Is it just as simple as there not being rules for it? I sort of think that it makes more sense for a skillsoft to have a specialization, given that it's a muscle memory recording of a set of specific actions. I'm not sure why it shouldn't be allowed, but I also can't see a specific reference that it IS allowed. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #1129 on: <06-15-14/1408:07> »
Does Attribute Boost Strength affect Melee Damage?

Yes: It affects Dice Pools
No: It does Not affect Physical Limits
No: It does Not affect Initiative.

There are all of 2 skills attached to Strength, Running & Swimming.  Not exactly the high demand of Agility & its 17 skills.
  If it doesn't affect Melee Damage then, honestly, its a useless gimped ability that no one will ever take, IMHO.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #1130 on: <06-15-14/1602:28> »
I'm afraid I don't have anything to chime in on the current topic, but I'd like to ask a question that I haven't found a solid citation for in either SR4 or SR5.

Is it possible for a skillsoft (activesoft, knowsoft, linguasoft) to have a specialization in it?

I've seen a number of folks state that you can't have a specialization for a skillsoft, but I can't find a distinct citation for that in any book I've got. Is it just as simple as there not being rules for it? I sort of think that it makes more sense for a skillsoft to have a specialization, given that it's a muscle memory recording of a set of specific actions. I'm not sure why it shouldn't be allowed, but I also can't see a specific reference that it IS allowed. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Specialization is treated as DP donus, not part of the skill.

Shadowwalker

• Newb
« Reply #1131 on: <06-19-14/1611:50> »
Ok I have one
 (Step 4)Reckless Spellcasting and  (Step 1)Muliple Spell castings per Page 282
So for the sake of discussion

I can multi Cast two Spell Slicing my dice pool in 1/2 while reckless casting increasing the drain code by +3

then for my next simple action
I can multi Cast two Spell Slicing my dice pool in 1/2 while reckless casting increasing the drain code by +3

Please note I could cast these as a Lightning Bolt with a force 5

making this a Drain Code 5S for each casting of the Spell which I gain my full Drain resistence dice for at 4 targets

Is this also sound correct?

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1132 on: <06-19-14/1629:50> »
Reckless Spellcasting doesn't allow you to cast offensive spells with both your Simple Actions - you're still limited by the "one attack action per turn" rule.

Shadowwalker

• Newb
« Reply #1133 on: <06-19-14/1635:46> »
 So basically I could instead recklessly Multicast a Lightning Bolt and a Lightning Bolt then recklessly multicast Armor and Increase Reflexes. All in the same Phase just gotta watch the Drain

Typhon

• Newb
« Reply #1134 on: <06-19-14/1723:03> »
Also, unless I misunderstand the multitargeting rules, but you'd also have to use your free action to select multiple targets, so you could:
Free Action - Multitarget two guards.
Simple Action - Reckless Cast a split lightning bolt on two guards
Simple Action - Armor or Increased Reflexes but not both because you used your multiple Targets Free action on the guards.

Again, I could be wrong if targeting yourself twice doesn't count for multiple targeting.

Shadowwalker

• Newb
« Reply #1135 on: <06-19-14/2109:50> »
Well you are not changing targets so it should be fine

elrikthebastard

• Newb
« Reply #1136 on: <06-23-14/1518:15> »
Afternoon,

I haven't seen this question yet so either I read something wrong or I have to rerereread the magic section.
Enchanting objects. Old rules said that you could not enchant a bullet or an arrow. From what we are reading, you can now do that? My players are trying to figure out how to attach a fire/lightening bolt to above objects.

Has this changed, am I not reading it right?

Thank you.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1137 on: <06-23-14/2323:32> »
Afternoon,

I haven't seen this question yet so either I read something wrong or I have to rerereread the magic section.
Enchanting objects. Old rules said that you could not enchant a bullet or an arrow. From what we are reading, you can now do that? My players are trying to figure out how to attach a fire/lightening bolt to above objects.

Has this changed, am I not reading it right?

Thank you.

There are at least 6 multi page threads on this very issue, with no consensus on it. I would encourage you to read them and draw your own conclusion
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

elrikthebastard

• Newb
« Reply #1138 on: <06-23-14/2340:12> »
There are at least 6 multi page threads on this very issue, with no consensus on it. I would encourage you to read them and draw your own conclusion

Done. Thanks Reaver. I will figure out the search function.

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #1139 on: <06-26-14/0154:34> »
Where can I find said SR5 FAQ? or is it still being compiled from this thread (and other places) and isn't actually "out" yet?

Also, every time I ask anyone about their interpretation of the armor stacking/encumbrance rules from SR5p169, I get a different answer each time.
The group I'm playing with now (I'm not the GM for once!) is interpreting it as:
"Only the stacked armor part of your armor counts towards encumbrance" so if, for example, you are wearing base armor 8 (actioneer business clothes) with a STR of <whatever> then you are good to go with no enc.
But if that same person then grabs a helmet and riot shield (total extra stacked armor bonus = +8, total armor for soak rolls not counting AP = 16) they would then need to have a STR of at least 7 to get no penalties.
[due to at STR 6, your armor bonus (8) would then exceed your STR by 2 full points thereby resulting in a -1 to AGI and REA]
I like the way this seems to be working, but I am really curious if this is how the rules were intended. The section on armor encumbrance is very poorly written imho.
« Last Edit: <06-26-14/0224:48> by voydangel »
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP