NEWS

5th Edition

• 94 Replies

Rapier

• Newb
« on: <04-19-13/1640:23> »
Hey all,

I have been a fan of Shadowrun since the vintage blue book (that I still have). I even remember saying to myself, where are the dungeons then? (ah the joys of paradigm shifts and youth :).

I must admit I was surprised and a bit dissapointed by the annountcement of 5th edition, 4th edition only real issue imo was is using a different set of rules for creation and advancement of characters. Then again I will buy 5th for sure and am waiting to be hapily surprised.

That beind said I must admit I am scared of where the new edition might take us after reading Storm Front. To me technomancers are the end point at which I like to have magic integrated with technology, ok I lie, technonamcer make me uncomfortable and all I hope is that 5th edition doesnt mesh magic and tech even further or god forbid make them substitute for one another.

I also hope core rules dont rely on neuro reprogramming technology (suggested by Fastjack's and others affliction and remind me of Eclipse kinda) because characters then just become computers on whom you load up different skillsets and personnality and thus stop being interesting to me. (If its a plot line sure).

I dont know how to say this but I am afraid of losing a game I love, a story line I love and a fictional world I love. (Maybe its dumpshock from the overwelming story in Storm Front). On the other hand I would love to see the continuation of the emerging magic including the "Passions" and "horrors" come to earth and am fascinated by the whole "enemy" storyline.

Anyways, not super rational, just a tad scared.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <04-19-13/1645:43> »
Look at who the current core of writers are, and consider what we'd do if things started getting fragged up badly.  ;D  Hope that shifts some fear away.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <04-19-13/1738:02> »
I hate TMs, Eclipse Phase, transhumanism, and a good chunk of 4E before I became a freelancer.

That said, I had virtually zero input into SR5 for other reasons.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <04-20-13/0049:04> »
I don't know who, if any, currently tapping away at stuff is big into transhumanism. I dig Technomancers, as they feel like Otaku 2.0 to me and I adored the concept, but I'm clearly in the minority there and that's fine.

As for skillsets and personality overlays, Horizon does that (See also: Twilight Horizon), and many of the other corps have had brainbenders on staff for decades (Cough, MFID, cough) ... but they remain a rare thing to see.

The new threat? Well, a bit early to say.

Personally, I'm more worried about where I'm gonna sleep and what I'm gonna eat than getting my head reprogrammed. I gots bills to pay!

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #4 on: <04-20-13/0343:00> »
The corps, the cops, your landlord, and your new elven stripper girlfriend, in that order.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #5 on: <04-20-13/0542:12> »
The corps, the cops, your landlord, and your new elven stripper girlfriend, in that order.

NEVER trust an elf.

Especially one that takes her/his clothes off for money.... no matter how hot they are.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <04-20-13/0637:28> »

NEVER trust an elf.

Especially one that takes her/his clothes off for money.... no matter how hot they are.

Indeed.  That's halfway to Lesbian Elf Stripper Ninja!
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #7 on: <04-20-13/0743:55> »
On a side note, I really hope the shakeup on Jackpoint allows for more new voices (and some old ones). One of the things I dearly missed throughout 4th edition was the open forum style of Shadowland, and some of the big names who showed up to comment on some of the stories that interested them. With all that's happened, hearing more from the Orange Queen, Laughing Man, Wordsmyth, Script Diver, Hecate, and others again would really make my day.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Basic

• Ace Runner
  • the game is rigged
« Reply #8 on: <04-20-13/1048:38> »
Hey all,

I have been a fan of Shadowrun since the vintage blue book (that I still have). I even remember saying to myself, where are the dungeons then? (ah the joys of paradigm shifts and youth :).

I must admit I was surprised and a bit dissapointed by the annountcement of 5th edition, 4th edition only real issue imo was is using a different set of rules for creation and advancement of characters. Then again I will buy 5th for sure and am waiting to be hapily surprised.

That beind said I must admit I am scared of where the new edition might take us after reading Storm Front. To me technomancers are the end point at which I like to have magic integrated with technology, ok I lie, technonamcer make me uncomfortable and all I hope is that 5th edition doesnt mesh magic and tech even further or god forbid make them substitute for one another.

I also hope core rules dont rely on neuro reprogramming technology (suggested by Fastjack's and others affliction and remind me of Eclipse kinda) because characters then just become computers on whom you load up different skillsets and personnality and thus stop being interesting to me. (If its a plot line sure).

I dont know how to say this but I am afraid of losing a game I love, a story line I love and a fictional world I love. (Maybe its dumpshock from the overwelming story in Storm Front). On the other hand I would love to see the continuation of the emerging magic including the "Passions" and "horrors" come to earth and am fascinated by the whole "enemy" storyline.

Anyways, not super rational, just a tad scared.

Technomancers are not magic. I really hope 5th edition does not make them magic because magic is powerful enough we need to make science powerful now. I mean this is a cyberpunk game/fantasy right ?

So make Technomancers a evolution thing rather then magic.
--Is today the day you thought about doing something, or the day you did something?--

--We cheat Death from his rightful victory. No one can defeat us we are glad to plunge feet first into hell in the knowledge that we will rise.--

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <04-20-13/1759:48> »
TMs are not magical.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #10 on: <04-20-13/1925:59> »
On a side note, I really hope the shakeup on Jackpoint allows for more new voices (and some old ones). One of the things I dearly missed throughout 4th edition was the open forum style of Shadowland, and some of the big names who showed up to comment on some of the stories that interested them. With all that's happened, hearing more from the Orange Queen, Laughing Man, Wordsmyth, Script Diver, Hecate, and others again would really make my day.

have to admit, this is something I miss as well :D
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

I_V_Saur

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <04-20-13/2047:22> »
Still trudging my way through the 4th Ed books, missing a lot of background info, (If anyone could provide a start-to-finish reading order, so I'd have the ENTIRE story, I'd be grateful, even if my pocketbook wouldn't.) but I think it's safe to say that TMs are going to become more and more 'different' from Hackers and Magicians. Currently, they're a Copy Paste of Magicians, but diverted to the Matrix, which is treated kind of like the Astral. Both are overlapping, etc. The mirror image concept is unlikely to continue.

Magic, by its nature, is going to be more prevalent. As the Mana levels rise, the Horrors come closer. In the same stream, Metahumanity will be able to draw on more and more, and will continue to evolve in ways previously unseen.

Given that the Orange Queen is going to be Running to make ends meet, I think we'll see an awful lot more of her, on a street level.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <04-20-13/2052:07> »
Technomancers were always different from mages in the simple fact that they're physiologically different from baseline metahumans.  The mechanical mirroring isn't the same as fluff mirroring.

However, I do think the whole techno-mystic idea should remain something that works with the setting.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <04-21-13/0216:11> »
The two things I am concerned with in 5th edition are:
  • Will adepts finally be viable without having to go the cyber/bioware route? Lore-wise it doesn't make sense for them to augment, but mechanics-wise it's practically required
  • Will riggers be sufficiently different from hackers? Currently other than programs their pretty much the same.

On the subject of technomancers, while mechanically they operate like magicians, I see them as completely separate due to their not being able to gain magic points. I am not opposed to technomagic itself, but I see technomancers (and the otaku before them) more as developing mental powers similar to telepathy.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <04-21-13/0222:17> »
Will adepts finally be viable without having to go the cyber/bioware route? Lore-wise it doesn't make sense for them to augment, but mechanics-wise it's practically required[/li][/list]

They are perfectly viable now. Despite what the munchkins optimizers on the forums claim, it is not required or necessary to do such.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen