NEWS

What are some good Starter (read easy) missions for a new player?

• 8 Replies

ddgon

• Newb
« on: <10-28-12/0917:12> »
I am thinking Solo type to have them get use to their abilities. The Hacker is easy, the face talks, but the others are hard. What do do for the Mage? Focus on spirts and not much mondane.

wylie

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1 on: <10-28-12/2200:40> »
combat types, give them a combat
one on one with a ganger, or gang leader
covert ops, have them sneak into place, or out...
mage should deal with a magic threat.

Look at their role; fire support, close combat, magic, matrix support, etc.
use that as your basis for a quick solo mission

jamesfirecat

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <10-29-12/1318:50> »
03-11 Food Poisoning is on the whole quite easy (going to write a review about that because honestly I was sort of upset over how easy it was), 03-04  Monkey Wrench is another good easy one since it offers the players a chance to do a run where everyone is using non lethal ammunition.  It's follow up 03-08 Firestorm is also another fairly easy mission where a well designed mage can flatten the opposition inside one or two passes.

Finally, if you get your hands on it, the CMP Swing Vote was quite easy also.

OFTHEHILLPEOPLE

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <10-29-12/1345:05> »
http://www.shadowrun4.com/missions/downloads-season-1/

I would start there.  I am doing that and a lot of the missions are very straight forward.
Looking for a game (local or online) --Austin, Texas--

jamesfirecat

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <10-29-12/1836:21> »

I would start there.  I am doing that and a lot of the missions are very straight forward.

I have heard some people say that season one was not designed with current shadowrunners system in mind and sure enough looking at it I find that people have a Q stat which is for ... What exactly?  (honestly could just be mistaken). Also inactive scores are givenbad a bunch of d6 plus a number that does not look like the fourth edition I know.. I think if you are going to just run through all the missions at once you should start with season 2 which I know was written with the current system in mind...
« Last Edit: <10-29-12/1839:52> by jamesfirecat »

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #5 on: <10-29-12/1926:00> »

I have heard some people say that season one was not designed with current shadowrunners system in mind and sure enough looking at it I find that people have a Q stat which is for ... What exactly?  (honestly could just be mistaken). Also inactive scores are givenbad a bunch of d6 plus a number that does not look like the fourth edition I know.. I think if you are going to just run through all the missions at once you should start with season 2 which I know was written with the current system in mind...

Yeah, Season 1 was meant for 3rd Edition.

You'll want to start them all off in Denver (Season 2), and maybe use the Season 1 stuff for "plot scripts" for your own stuff, later.

Also, Q = Quickness... it's the "parent" of what is now Reaction and Agility.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

WellsIDidIt

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <10-30-12/0050:44> »
Season 1 was SR3. That said, they aren't that hard to bring up to SR4 just using the grunts out of the main book, they were fairly straight forward missions and easy to boot.

Quickness was the SR3 equivalent of Agility. Reaction was a derived score that was based off of Quickness and Intelligence (the parent of Logic and Intuition). Initiative was a base of 1D6+Reaction with Initiative Boosters (Wired Reflexes, Synaptic Accelerator, Boosted Reflexes, ect.) all giving +1D6 and +X Reaction. Instead of having IPs, character rolled initiative, totaled the dice, added reaction and got a result (for example, rolling 5 on a D6 and adding in another 6 from reaction would be an 11 Initiative). Every one went in order of initiative, then the GM would subtract 10 from every Initiative score and anyone with 1 or more would go again, rinse and repeat until no one had a positive score. Then the new round began.

Season 2 is likewise, very very easy for beginners.

As far as Intro runs go, don't worry too much about focusing on what the character's role is and focus more on the character's background. The players will find a way to apply their role to the situation. Players are crafty that way.

If it's a matter of just getting them used to the rules, hand them each an archetype and run the Food Fight or A Night on the Town (Free RPG Day 2012 supplement) and run that as a primer. It will get them to understand the basics, and get a feel for the character type they want to play.

OFTHEHILLPEOPLE

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <10-30-12/1547:59> »
Right, I apologize.  I meant to say that the stories themselves are very straight forward and easily translated to 4th.  You are all right, they were made for Shadowrun 3rd but it really takes minimal effort to convert the NPCs in that and the story over to 4th.
Looking for a game (local or online) --Austin, Texas--

WellsIDidIt

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <10-30-12/2357:18> »
If I remember right, you can pretty much just pull the cast of shadows sheets from a few Season 2 missions and you're all set for polishing off Season 1 into SR4.