NEWS

Sherlock Holmes in the year 2070!

• 30 Replies

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <09-10-11/1649:16> »
At the moment, he is more Mycroft Holmes than Sherlock Holmes.  His skills (other than perception) seem a bit low for a cerebral character.  You might consider focusing more on skills such as data search and chemistry, if you see him as more of a researcher type.  His B&E skills don't look that useful - they are only juuust high enough to get him into trouble.

CobraCommander

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <09-10-11/1939:05> »
I can understand if I'm not able to build a Sherlock type character with 400 BP but I think I'm getting there. I'll do a little rundown I suppose.

I didn't want to make him an Adept mainly because... He's not supposed to be magic based. He's just super smart. I mean, I'm not trying  to make a carbon copy of Sherlock, but I am greatful at the tips and helping some people nastalgia all over the place.

I figure, even though most of the skills are on the low side, a lot of them are Logic/Intuition based which I have obviously good enough stats in to cut it. I mean, I'm still throwing 10 dice at most things that are related to mental stats (12 at Datasearch and software). I'm also considering tailored pheramones but I need to find the money. Might drop the Alphware status on the Mnomonic Enhancers. Also I saw mention of the Coproccessors and thought "+3 to my Perception? Yes ma'am" so I picked it up. I wasn't quite sure how well of a fighter he was, but since he wasn't that bad after all, I may give him some unarmed skill. I mainly took the "Stealth" group as a discount. I only really wanted everything but infiltrate. It was just cheaper so I picked up the whole group.

About the Qualities. Most of them are just duh reasons why they're their. But I would like to give him a pretty nice character concept. "Lost Loved One" is because his wife has been missing for 5 years now. She was taken from him by some mysterious whatever "GMs choice" so over the past 5 years he's been resorting to BTL moments that he had recorded to spend time with her. Also, as a pretty neat thing my friend suggested. Since he has a sim module, when I walk into a crime scene like enviornment I can start recorded everything I experience so I can look back at it on a later time to try to spot something that I missed.

I mean, really what else is there to say? I figured a character that does most of the leg work before the run should have a diverse collection of skills (and eventually contacts). A lot of them are mental attribute anyways, and he's not going to be the type of character who is going to be at the front lines of the wetwork or what have you so his fighting can be minimal enough for now. Although I'm still thinking I may give him Unarmed. Only that means then I'll have to find out how to bump up his Strength, and blah, blah, blah....I don't plan on making him super cyber/bioware jacked up. I'm even contemplating dropping the cyber eyes/ears but at the same time, they are less obtrucive, then say goggles.

If anyone has any more Knowledge Skill suggestions by all means lay them on me.
COOOBBBRRRAAA!!!

Solomon

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <09-10-11/2307:01> »
My suggestions is that Downey sucked and if you want to watch Holmes you really out to be watching Jeremy Brett.

Crash_00

« Reply #18 on: <09-11-11/0035:26> »
Maybe I'm going crazy, but I don't really remember Holmes being much of a fighter at all in the books. I always thought that Holmes was a perceptive bastard with excellent deduction abilities that constantly go him in trouble and that Watson was the badass of the stories.

That said, combat skills are generally good in Shadowrun, but if you have enough combat based characters in the group already, you can easily forget about the combat skills and focus on beefing up your legwork skills.

As for your knowledge skills, don't forget all your academic skills for figuring out mysteries. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, ect.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #19 on: <09-11-11/0044:59> »
It rarely happened, but Holmes did fight in the novels, and was quite proficient.

In addition, he was strangely strong, able to bend an iron poker back straight after someone tried to intimidate him by bending it in a curve.  (This is based off of something Dr. Doyle could do IRL, IIRC.  But we've seen how accurate my memory has been recently.).
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #20 on: <09-11-11/0120:50> »
It didn't come up in every case -- because he was a perceptive bastard, not a fighter, first and foremost, after all -- but he was stated to be quite proficient at boxing, stick fighting (gotta love those era-appropriate canes), and bartitsu (misspelled as "baritsu" in Holmes' in-text reference to it), which he called "Japanese wrestling."  Watson mentioned that Holmes was an excellent fencer, but I don't think he ever actually got around to any stabby-stabby that I can recall.  But, yeah.  Boxing in particular is something that's come up pretty often.

Because Holmes is awesome, it was all generally just kind of mentioned in passing.  Like oh by the way I'm amazing at that, too.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #21 on: <09-11-11/0154:34> »
Well, he was pretty much the blueprint for the infamous "competent man" cliche.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    — Lazarus Long

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #22 on: <09-11-11/0206:23> »
Just for the record, mind you, I don't mean my continued harping about Holmes' badassery to be seen as criticism of your character.  You're (rightfully) focusing on the cerebral aspects of the character, and doing what you can within the constraints of making a rules-legal character that follows the standard creation guidelines.  You've got a neat little Holmesian tip of the hat going on, and you've made a pretty cool guy, in that vein.  "Cyberlogician" is a popular enough idea in the Sixth World that there's a whole cyberware suite dedicated to making folks smarter, so it's perfectly in keeping with the feel of Shadowrun.

I just want to make sure you know you can make him kind of a badass and not violate the spirit of the character, is all.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #23 on: <09-11-11/0941:31> »
My suggestions is that Downey sucked and if you want to watch Holmes you really out to be watching Jeremy Brett.
You are my new favorite Newb. ;D

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #24 on: <09-11-11/0942:26> »
It rarely happened, but Holmes did fight in the novels, and was quite proficient.

In addition, he was strangely strong, able to bend an iron poker back straight after someone tried to intimidate him by bending it in a curve.  (This is based off of something Dr. Doyle could do IRL, IIRC.  But we've seen how accurate my memory has been recently.).
Again, this one was more due to his mind than actual strength. He knew the right leverage points to get maximum force to bend it back. ;)

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #25 on: <09-11-11/0944:34> »
Just for the record, mind you, I don't mean my continued harping about Holmes' badassery to be seen as criticism of your character.  You're (rightfully) focusing on the cerebral aspects of the character, and doing what you can within the constraints of making a rules-legal character that follows the standard creation guidelines.  You've got a neat little Holmesian tip of the hat going on, and you've made a pretty cool guy, in that vein.  "Cyberlogician" is a popular enough idea in the Sixth World that there's a whole cyberware suite dedicated to making folks smarter, so it's perfectly in keeping with the feel of Shadowrun.

I just want to make sure you know you can make him kind of a badass and not violate the spirit of the character, is all.
Agreed.

But, in my own opinion, Holmes would definitely be a Decker/Hacker in the Sixth World. Foremost among all his obsessions is that he is an Information Junkie. (I seem to recall that he would 'devour' the newspapers of the day and memorize even most of the classifieds.)

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #26 on: <09-11-11/0948:06> »

Again, this one was more due to his mind than actual strength. He knew the right leverage points to get maximum force to bend it back. ;)

Excellent! So that is a Logic for Strength swap for that test? :P

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #27 on: <09-11-11/1137:59> »
Agreed.

But, in my own opinion, Holmes would definitely be a Decker/Hacker in the Sixth World. Foremost among all his obsessions is that he is an Information Junkie. (I seem to recall that he would 'devour' the newspapers of the day and memorize even most of the classifieds.)
Definitely the Media Junkie Negative Quality.  Doesn't even need to be a Hacker for that in 2070s, just a decent CommLink and a quality Data Search skill and Browse Program.  Unless he wants the Black BBS stuff, then, yeah, some Hacking skills indeed.

'Course, for some of the sites (ShadowSEA, for example), a Pocket Hacker Agent would work just fine for that.  :P  Still wondering if I play around with my gear to get that for my Ásatrú Magician.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <09-11-11/1336:27> »
One thing to remember about Holmes was that he was an inveterate min-maxer in real life (or, well, fictional life).  He could care less whether the earth orbited the sun, or whether the sun orbited the earth.  He was solely focused on knowledge that he saw as practical, and didn't want to waste any space in his brain on any clutter.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #29 on: <09-11-11/1507:33> »

Holmes was a Prime Runner.

Building himin 400BP is not gonna pan out so well.

You can (and should!) build Holmesian characters, however.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist