NEWS

Runt, Troll Technomancer

• 2 Replies

kirk

• Omae
« on: <09-11-11/1417:03> »
A variety of threads (here and elsewhere) clashed violently in my head and I was left with this image. Brain bleach failed to eradicate it, so I am left with the sole resort of sharing. (Actually, if I ever find a group I'd like to play this one. But the source of the idea is true.) Posted for amusement, comment, and if you so desire a spring for your own use.

===
Harvey Bridgetower is a scrawny, weak specimen of a troll; well deserving his alias of Runt. Runt stands a mere 220 cm and barely tips the scale at 275 kg sopping wet. He has determinedly compensated for his shortcoming (ahem) by ensuring his dress and manner are impeccable. He never leaves his property in anything other than a fine white seersucker suit with white shirt and black string tie. His shoes, white or black as appropriate to the season, are always perfectly polished. The ensemble is always finished with panama hat and gentleman's cane. He is, in mind and image, the perfect Southern Gentleman of a bygone era.

It's a jarring sight that few forget.

He carries the idea of a southern gentleman almost to an extreme. He found what he thinks of as a gentleman's farm in which he lives. He had several drones acting as his servants, with the occasional sprite used as a common laborer. A chance encounter on the Matrix taught him (painfully) that there are beings of equal worth in that world, and he gives the respect a gentleman should to another gentleman whom he sees as a mentor, the AI Flow.  He spent his lavish leisure time tinkering with his servants, er, drones, and exploring the reaches of the matrix. 

All was well with his world. Unfortunately, yet another truth of the Southern Gentleman of Leisure raised its head. It costs, and rarely earns as much as it costs.  Runt borrowed heavily to sustain his lifestyle, always assuming that one day his drone and programming modifications would become significantly profitable. Sadly, as is common with all following the dronomancer stream, what he considered excellent was nowhere near as intuitive to buyers.  He sold many of his personal drones, cut back on much of his living style, and still isn't making ends meet. His creditors are becoming impatient, and so after selling, buying, and modifying his remaining servants is prepared to step into the shadows to do "what a gentleman must sometimes do."

The full sheet is the attachment (text file). Some critical numbers:

== Info ==
Street Name: Runt
Notoriety: 0
Composure: 6
Judge Intentions: 6
Lift/Carry: 10 (75 kg/50 kg)
Memory: 7

== Attributes ==
BOD: 5
AGI: 2
REA: 2
STR: 5
CHA: 3
INT: 3
LOG: 4
WIL: 3
EDG: 2
RES: 6

== Derived Attributes ==
Essence:                   6
Initiative/IP:                5 / 1
Matrix Initiative/ IP:         7 / 3
Damage Track:     11 P / 10 S

==Qualities ==
(+) Analytical Mind (+2 data search, computer, some logic tests)
(+) Codeslinger (+2 Register Sprites)
(+) Paragon (Flow. +2 Thread, +1 compile/register Data Sprite)
(+) Technomancer
(-) Distinctive Style (5 pts)
(-) In Debt (30,000¥)

==Special Actions==
Threading 14:  Resonance (6) + Computer (4) + Analytical Mind (2) + Paragon "Flow" (2) = 14.
Compile 10 (11):  Resonance (6) + Compile (4) = 10 (11 for Code Sprites).
Registering 13 (14):  Resonance (6) + Register (5) + Codeslinger (2) = 13 (14 for Code Sprites).
Fading 9:  Resonance (6) + Willpower (3) = 9. P if final rating for thread or sprite >6.

==final notes==
In combat, Runt expects to fire three simultaneous SMG narrow burst fires at a single target. The absolute minimum dice he'll throw for each of the three bursts is 15. Narrow full bursts will easily push this past 22 even before threading and sprites get involved. He should expect +5 for threading most times (which is 10 fading dice, I admit).

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-11-11/2012:29> »
Looks mostly good, I have two suggestions.

One is that it seems odd having Intuition 3, Logic 4, and an Intuition stream.

The other is that Defuse is really not worth it as a technomancer. The reason is that if you get unlucky, Data Bombs do 1d6xRating damage and you take that in the real world. So if you mess up with a rating 6 data bomb, it could do 36 damage and explode your face. Even with Defuse 6, I would never want to defuse data bombs myself - instead, use a sprite to do it. Both Crack and Data sprites can do this for you, and even if it's a tough data bomb, I'd much rather take fade from compiling a big sprite than risk a data bomb going off in my face.

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <09-11-11/2056:12> »
Thanks, UmaroVI

on the int/logic (slap forehead) oops. I'd started Runt as a cyber Logicmancer, and realized that I got better scores by skipping the cyber. Forgot to swap when I changed stream.

On Disarm... all I'd thought of was the fact that with pavlov data bombs I'd just keep compiling and compiling and compiling (and fading and fading). I never once thought that when 22 dice face 12 dice, sometimes the 12 win -- and 36 points of matrix damage will make my day just a little less happy.

hmmm. 6 more BP. A different CF, or something another skill point, or... ? Such riches I have...

Register