NEWS

Obsidimen in SR

• 37 Replies

grimjaws

• Chummer
« on: <08-02-11/1628:35> »
I was rereading Shadows of Asia and caught a reference, potentially, to obsidimen. In the section on Yakut the shadow talk refers to "rock beings" that are not earth elementals. Also the Draco Foundation refers to the place as where the Rock meets the Sky. This sounds like it could be a reference to a Liferock from Earthdawn.

I was always under the impression that eventually the mana levels would rise and the other races from Earthdawn would make an appearence in Shadowrun.
SR1+ SR2 SR3 SR4++ SR5+++ h b++ B-- UB- IE- RN--- !W sa++ ma++ sh+++ ad+++ m+++ e- o++ t++ gm+ M- P-

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-02-11/1639:26> »
There's a possible link in Missions 4-0 too

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #2 on: <08-02-11/1754:07> »
Couple things about obsidimen (And T'skrang).

Back in the day, FASA SR Line Dev had replied to the question of "Where are the ED races?" by saying that some of the races simply weren't able to survive the down-cycle.

Another possibility is that they require a level of mana to be present that isn't here yet.  In 10 years, or 50 years, or 2500 years during this magic cycle, they may start waking up.

Bull

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-02-11/1803:45> »
Except *opens Extraction* oh look, a T'skrang!

=P

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #4 on: <08-02-11/1819:39> »
*cough* Pixie Windlings* *cough*
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #5 on: <08-03-11/0028:59> »

=P

Heh.  No, Simon just LOOKS a little like one.  He's still a changeling.  Changelings are, mostly in my unofficial opinion, the result of random bits of incomplete magical DNA that activated due to the unusual mana spike that happened during Year of the Comet.  In Simons case...  maybe it's coincidence. Maybe he had some T'Skrang DNA.  In either case, there's a reason he's both working for and under the watchful eye of Lofwyr. 

But I will reiterate...  Simon is a fun Easter Egg, but at the end of the day, he is a full-on SURGE Changeling. 

Pixies/Sprites are another story.  They were slipped in early on.  And even then, they're not quite the same as the ED Windlings. 

Bull

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <08-03-11/0240:05> »

=P

Heh.  No, Simon just LOOKS a little like one.  He's still a changeling.  Changelings are, mostly in my unofficial opinion, the result of random bits of incomplete magical DNA that activated due to the unusual mana spike that happened during Year of the Comet.  In Simons case...  maybe it's coincidence. Maybe he had some T'Skrang DNA.  In either case, there's a reason he's both working for and under the watchful eye of Lofwyr. 

But I will reiterate...  Simon is a fun Easter Egg, but at the end of the day, he is a full-on SURGE Changeling. 

Pixies/Sprites are another story.  They were slipped in early on.  And even then, they're not quite the same as the ED Windlings. 

Bull

Ah I know Bull, just teasing as ever. I think Simon's great though, can't wait to see more of and learn more about him!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #7 on: <08-03-11/0312:42> »

Bull
"Hey, listen!"  "Where's my fraggin' hilariously over-sized flyswatter?"
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #8 on: <08-03-11/0544:00> »

Bull
"Hey, listen!"  "Where's my fraggin' hilariously over-sized flyswatter?"

Bird Shot, my friend...Bird shot.
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #9 on: <08-03-11/1001:06> »
Or a clever combination of copper-infused silly string and electrical current.
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <08-03-11/2138:35> »
Or spray them with FAB III.

A bit slower, but no less deadly.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

grimjaws

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <08-08-11/0956:39> »
Couple things about obsidimen (And T'skrang).

Back in the day, FASA SR Line Dev had replied to the question of "Where are the ED races?" by saying that some of the races simply weren't able to survive the down-cycle.

Another possibility is that they require a level of mana to be present that isn't here yet.  In 10 years, or 50 years, or 2500 years during this magic cycle, they may start waking up.

Bull
This is what I was thinking as well and what I use as an explanation in my games , though after looking through Running Wild I found pixies, which seeme awfully similar to Windlings. A bit of wishful thinking perhaps, or seeing what I want to see.
SR1+ SR2 SR3 SR4++ SR5+++ h b++ B-- UB- IE- RN--- !W sa++ ma++ sh+++ ad+++ m+++ e- o++ t++ gm+ M- P-

grimjaws

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <08-08-11/0958:03> »

=P

Bull

Ah I know Bull, just teasing as ever. I think Simon's great though, can't wait to see more of and learn more about him!
This was my first reaction too when I saw his NERPS card at GenCon this year. :)

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #13 on: <08-08-11/1233:23> »
Stone-Skin Surgelings?
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

Fourthson

« Reply #14 on: <08-08-11/1255:58> »
In one of my grand conspiracy theories about the Sixth World, the VITAS plagues were the reason that the ED races never showed up. They were wiped out before they even had a chance to awaken.

Register