NEWS

6e multiple target attack

• 11 Replies

Antique

• Newb
« on: <08-28-19/1549:33> »
Need some clarification with using multiple attacks.
Assuming a gun with SA/BF/FA mode and a gas vent can I do the following:
1. Using a minor and major, shoot at 2 targets each using SS shots. Pool is split, no AR penalty
2. Same but using a)SA or b) BF at each target, DV+1/dv+2 still no AR penalty/AR-2. Pool is still split
3.Same as 2a or 2b but only a major action, AR-6? Pool is still split.
Am I interpreting the rules right?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <08-28-19/1558:31> »
With a single gun, you first pick a firing mode: SA/BF/FA. It's a Minor to switch weapon mode.

- Under SA, under RAW you can only attack 1 person: You fire 2 rounds at the same person, which is -2AR/+1DV. No two-target option mentioned.

- Under BF, you can either do 1x -4AR/+2DV attack against 1 person, or use Multiple Attacks and split dicepool for 2x -2AR/+1DV attacks against 2 people.

- Under FA, you can do attacks that all are at -6 AR, and can do as many attacks as you want (with the implied but not mentioned limit of 10 due to only 10 rounds), split over as many targets as you want (and one target can take multiple attacks), this does NOT require Multiple Attacks, but you split your dicepool over the attacks combined. GM will have to decide whether it's possible to hit all your targets in 1 burst.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-28-19/1611:23> »
What he said.

Just wanted to add that if you hit multiple targets you will only compare your AR with the highest DR of all affected targets.

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <08-28-19/2158:08> »
With a single gun, you first pick a firing mode: SA/BF/FA. It's a Minor to switch weapon mode.

- Under SA, under RAW you can only attack 1 person: You fire 2 rounds at the same person, which is -2AR/+1DV. No two-target option mentioned.

- Under BF, you can either do 1x -4AR/+2DV attack against 1 person, or use Multiple Attacks and split dicepool for 2x -2AR/+1DV attacks against 2 people.

- Under FA, you can do attacks that all are at -6 AR, and can do as many attacks as you want (with the implied but not mentioned limit of 10 due to only 10 rounds), split over as many targets as you want (and one target can take multiple attacks), this does NOT require Multiple Attacks, but you split your dicepool over the attacks combined. GM will have to decide whether it's possible to hit all your targets in 1 burst.

So...Does not REQUIRE Multiple Attacks, but what if you wanted to use it as Multiple Attacks to use the Edge feature that maintained your full dice pool per attack?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-28-19/2201:14> »
So...Does not REQUIRE Multiple Attacks, but what if you wanted to use it as Multiple Attacks to use the Edge feature that maintained your full dice pool per attack?

FA does not require you to use the Multiple Attack action, but Anticipation only works with the Multiple Attack action.

And of course, the big distinction is Multiple Attack doesn't permit more than one attack per target.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-28-19/2205:05> »

The Anticipate Edge Action requires you to use the Multiple Attacks action, which also requires the Attack Action. 

The text for FA is "FA: This mode allows multiple attacks without using the Multiple Attack Minor Action."  So strict RAW you can't use Anticipate with Full Auto, IMO.  BF or SA only for Multiple Attack Action and Anticipate.  IMO.  YMMV.  Yada, yada, yada. 

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <08-28-19/2340:09> »
Anticipation was debated behind NDA but right now RAW is it won't work with FA.

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #7 on: <08-29-19/0420:53> »
The Anticipate Edge Action requires you to use the Multiple Attacks action, which also requires the Attack Action. 

The text for FA is "FA: This mode allows multiple attacks without using the Multiple Attack Minor Action."  So strict RAW you can't use Anticipate with Full Auto, IMO.
I agree with your interpretation but regardless of what one thinks of the rule here, I'd flag this as something that is poorly explained. Right now, to understand it, you have to page back and forth between the fire modes bit, the description of the Multiple Attacks Minor Action, and the Anticipate Edge Action bit. And you have to notice that although FA is an attack against multiple targets it isn't a Multiple Attack, and therefore FA isn't eligible for Anticipation. That's rather more implicit that explicit in the text as it stands.

BF or SA only for Multiple Attack Action and Anticipate.
These statements conflict.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #8 on: <08-29-19/0520:58> »
I cannot discuss Anticipation in any detail other than the RAW-parsing Xenon and I performed before, due to an errata discussion on it that is covered by NDA.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <08-29-19/0952:59> »

The text for FA is "FA: This mode allows multiple attacks without using the Multiple Attack Minor Action."  So strict RAW you can't use Anticipate with Full Auto, IMO.
I agree with your interpretation but regardless of what one thinks of the rule here, I'd flag this as something that is poorly explained. Right now, to understand it, you have to page back and forth between the fire modes bit, the description of the Multiple Attacks Minor Action, and the Anticipate Edge Action bit. And you have to notice that although FA is an attack against multiple targets it isn't a Multiple Attack, and therefore FA isn't eligible for Anticipation. That's rather more implicit that explicit in the text as it stands.

BF or SA only for Multiple Attack Action and Anticipate.
These statements conflict.

To clarify, Dual wielding SA weapons would qualify for Anticipate I believe, probably SS as well.  AFB so can't double check, you'd have to check the wording on Dual Wielding. 

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <08-29-19/0953:53> »
I cannot discuss Anticipation in any detail other than the RAW-parsing Xenon and I performed before, due to an errata discussion on it that is covered by NDA.

Nice to hear that thereīs some noise behind that wall, though  ;D

Gotta say, I generally do like the way Autofire works right now. I was expecting that it would just proliferate the progression of -2 AP for +1 Damage of the other Firing Options, but this is really a totally different advantage with different applications. The (potential) interaction with Anticipation is really bonkers though, as well as the fact that theoretically, thereīs no limit on the number of Attacks.

F.y.I., my current personal houserule goes like this:
  • Full-Auto Attacks are limited to 6 individual Attack rolls (TBH, good luck hitting with more...), with a maximum of 3 on a single target.
  • Full-Auto Attacks canīt be used with Anticipation if thereīs more than 2 individual Attack rolls.
  • Instead, thereīs a "Spray and Pay"-Option for 4 Edge that lets you add 1 Wild Die* to each individual Attack (Just a little bonus on top, feel free to rehash it for the supplements  ;) You guys really should do more with wild dice, itīs a neat mechanic thatīs pretty underused right now!)
« Last Edit: <08-29-19/0955:25> by Finstersang »

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #11 on: <08-29-19/0955:27> »
To clarify, Dual wielding SA weapons would qualify for Anticipate I believe, probably SS as well.  AFB so can't double check, you'd have to check the wording on Dual Wielding.
Oh, I read your post as talking about single wielding.

(I see no reason why a single SA gun shouldn't be able to fire at two people, treating each as an SS shot ie. no modifiers to AR/DV. But that appears to not be RAW.)

Register