NEWS

Simplifying SR5e

• 16 Replies

LoveSkylark

• Newb
« on: <11-01-16/1152:44> »
I wanted to startea thread where people can share tip to reduce the complexity of SR5 without actually changing the rules.

Here's one of mine:

By creating more Attribute only terms you can simplify any written rules on your GM screen.

I've added Evasion(REA+INI) & Judgement(INI+LOG)

This means writing up that combat is shortened down to "Agility + Melee[physical] vs. Evasion"

I manly did this to shorten done my spell resist table:

COMBAT > Direct > Physical > vs. Body
COMBAT > Direct > Mental >  vs. Willpower
COMBAT > Indirect > vs. Evasion   (DV=Force+net, AP=Force)
COMBAT > Direct > Indirect > AOE > vs. 3 (DV=Force+net, 2d6 scat)
DETECTION > Active > vs. Memory
DETECTION > Passive > Perception[net]
HEALTH > mPool – Essence
ILLUSION > Mana > vs. Memory
ILLUSION > Physical > vs. Judgement
MANIPULATION > Damaging > (DV=Force, AP=0)
MANIPULATION > Mental > vs. Memory (Complex: Memory – Force reduce net)
MANIPULATION > Physical > vs. Lifting

« Last Edit: <11-01-16/1156:39> by LoveSkylark »

adzling

« Reply #1 on: <11-01-16/1423:30> »
You should check out this guy's work.

It's helps streamline things greatly by simplifying some of the modifiers to dice rolls without sacrificing any of the crunch.

It also collates everything in one place, very helpful.

http://stuffershack.com/shadowrun-hack-of-shadowrun-downloads/

TimTurry

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <11-01-16/1520:18> »
One (unnecessary) source of complications in SR is that you have to role multiple (large pooled) dice to determine a single effect:
I roll my pistol pool to hit (assume I don't have a machine sprite that has to roll for assist dice)
He rolls his dodge pool to dodge
I hit.  Add my net hits to pistol damage.
Now he rolls to soak
Oh, it is less than his armor.  Add that to stun track, and roll over to physical.

That was one action.  In D&D (not the best system by any means), the attacker rolls one die, and compares value (+mods) against a single threshold.  Then roll damage. 

Gingivitis

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #3 on: <11-01-16/2243:25> »
@ adzling:  Thanks! I don't think I have even seen myself linked before.  I nearly shot coffee out my nose when I saw that.

@LoveSkylark: while I think the linked rules do simplify things, they also definitely change how some rules work.  I could not figure out a way of uncomplicating things without changing things. I like your ideas though! And I will be watching this thread like a hawk.

@ TimTurry: I do, for grunts, duck some roles.  I have grunts roll defense OR damage resist, but not both. Just pick one.  It does mean things go down easier; just use more grunts if you need. It speeds things up tremendously combined with the other grunt house rules in there.
Shadowrun: Anarchy Resources (GM Screens, Character Sheets, New NPCs, House Rules) at: www.surprisethreat.com

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-02-16/0455:17> »
I only roll for attack for grunts, except the major ones.
For Defense and Soaking, I assume (dice pool)/3 success.
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

LoveSkylark

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <11-02-16/0535:40> »
@ Gingivitis  WOW! your stuff is so great I will probably just throw away most of what I have done, I'm adapting 90% of your house-rules as well, unlike most house-rules they are not trying to do something new, they focus and clarify  what is already there.

@ Carmody I do the same then for generic rolls, but when the player roll extremely badly or extremely well I usually roll against that

LoveSkylark

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <11-02-16/1013:24> »
I'm working on a design for GM screen inserts (3 pages), got 2 so far.

If you guys want to take look, coment or just steal ideas then heres the  link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3LJlaeWuEEJWGdZOTBrY0ZrcjA/view

&#24525;

« Reply #7 on: <11-02-16/1028:20> »
Gingivitis, I really like you're work, however currently your PDFs are best used digitally. Have you even given thought to having printer friendly versions? I've heard that a binder loads quicker than a tablet, but that's just a myth ;p

Gingivitis

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #8 on: <11-02-16/1524:59> »
@LoveSkylark your GM screens look classy AF!  Nice work getting all that in without cramming.

@ 忍: do you mean the ref tables? I could just eliminate the background.  I have a color printer at work so mine look sharp (and expensive lol)! The raw excel files are on the [SR5] House Rules thread in Rules and Such. Feel free to download those and change what you need.  I posted them in that thread a while back but that thread is pretty dead and I got no feedback.

[Edit] lol also in my signature.
« Last Edit: <11-02-16/1944:42> by Gingivitis »
Shadowrun: Anarchy Resources (GM Screens, Character Sheets, New NPCs, House Rules) at: www.surprisethreat.com

&#24525;

« Reply #9 on: <11-02-16/2350:59> »
Awesome! Now seeing how you did it, I'm glad I didn't go about how I would have tackled this haha. I've been making reference cards using graphics editors. It takes a while to get everything to fit evenly, but it can be really handy. Excel does a way better job for this :P

Gingivitis

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #10 on: <11-03-16/0339:51> »
It was a pain and it doesn't look as good as LoveSkylark's but excel worked well when I was editing it constantly for 2 years.

I put a printer-friendly all-in-one PDF version in my signature.  The raw files are still linked in the [SR5] House Rules thread.

Gingivitis

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #11 on: <11-06-16/0548:58> »
New PDF in my signature (including printer friendly tables now)

- Added a section for Social Skill rules, tests, and modifiers.
- Revamped some skills and skill groups and included a reference table for it.

Comments welcome.

LoveSkylark

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <11-06-16/0738:53> »
Nice,

What's the Marks Column behind the actions?

I really like your noice modifery table (see you had to tweak the penalties to make it fit :)), I think the - is missing from Noise Level

&#24525;

« Reply #13 on: <11-06-16/0920:06> »
A Mark is a Matrix Authentication Recognition Key (iirc). These determine how much authority and control you have over matrix things.

Gingivitis

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #14 on: <11-06-16/1237:13> »
Thanks Skylark.  I will look at that I tried to make the tables for Noise, Environment, Social Situation all similar for easier reading.

Register