NEWS

Gun Cane - used in melee? And Stacked Armor

• 88 Replies

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #75 on: <04-17-14/1459:10> »
That's actually handy--I haven't gotten to the environment sections yet.  And yeah, as long as the players are reasonable, I'm not too interested in bookkeeping minutiae.  It's more for the guy with the armor + 3 PPPs + mask + forearm guards + whatever else he can think of who claims it's no big deal to wear that in Lagos in February (which is the hottest month over there).
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #76 on: <04-17-14/1801:01> »
* at my table, Snake Socks will give +2AV to attacks against legs only and do not count against encumbrance; the gun cane follows normal "ranged weapon used in melee combat" rules if you wanted to fire it at someone who were hacking away at you and count it as a club (p422 SR5) if you wanted to hit someone with it; and if you wore a Great Coat over an appropriate suit the item with the highest AV would count as your main AV with the lower value adding it's stacking AV

Mostly the big thing is, that the great coat has such a high armor value by itself, that stacking it on a suit gives very little, if the only thing that stacks up is AV. (+1 armor, for 4 armor accessory).

Since the base armor value of the coat is higher, its shockingly easier to get a higher Armor value using it, than stacking it.

Now if concealibility mods stack, for wearing a suit designed to hide stuff, and a big ass coat thats harder to expose stuff under than it is to hide it under, then the Mortimor of London has a purpose with the stack. And that would be to carry things like the streetline special right on into a heavily guarded place with like very little difficulty. -4 from hold out, -5 from armor stack, -1 for arm slide. giving anyone trying to see you have such a weapon on you, a -10 penalty.
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #77 on: <04-18-14/0041:37> »
50 nuyen seems to be the right price for a piece of armor that provides a nice bonus to certain called shots and is imminently concealable. Will everyone buy them? Maybe... there's no real reason not to, but it also only provides a situational bonus. Although, I would point out that called shots to the lower legs are not a bad choice. Keeping someone from performing complex actions for net hits CTs is not a bad deal.

Actually.. yeah. Melee guys have to buy the socks, regardless if they give +2 armor or +4 armor against leg shots.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #78 on: <04-18-14/0813:00> »
50 nuyen seems to be the right price for a piece of armor that provides a nice bonus to certain called shots and is imminently concealable. Will everyone buy them? Maybe... there's no real reason not to, but it also only provides a situational bonus. Although, I would point out that called shots to the lower legs are not a bad choice. Keeping someone from performing complex actions for net hits CTs is not a bad deal.

Actually.. yeah. Melee guys have to buy the socks, regardless if they give +2 armor or +4 armor against leg shots.

This I absolutely agree with, even though I expect the net hits part of things to get changed at some point.

And your point about the armor of the coat by itself being high enough to make stacking with the coat sort of meh is also correct, but it doesn't exist in a vacuum.  It's one of the better socially permissible stacks out there--that's the big thing.  A high Strength guy can stack a a ton of things outside his gel-packed armor and have an insane armor rating, but that's not the comp we're shooting for.  For argument's sake, let's just say the goal is, "walk down the street in a AA neighborhood on a crisp autumn day and enter a nice restaurant."  To my mind, this means the +armor items that won't cause you grief are limited to:
Overcoats
Second Skin
Forearm Guards
Socks (although what they do for you precisely is up in the air)

Within this context, overcoats are pretty good, especially if you go with socks only counting towards called shots.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #79 on: <04-18-14/0826:53> »
Don't forget that the way CustomFit(Stack) is phrased, the overcoats+SS likely don't count as Armor Accessories, so aren't really the same as the ForearmGuards/PPP/Helmets/Socks.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #80 on: <04-18-14/1120:03> »

This I absolutely agree with, even though I expect the net hits part of things to get changed at some point.

And your point about the armor of the coat by itself being high enough to make stacking with the coat sort of meh is also correct, but it doesn't exist in a vacuum.  It's one of the better socially permissible stacks out there--that's the big thing.  A high Strength guy can stack a a ton of things outside his gel-packed armor and have an insane armor rating, but that's not the comp we're shooting for.  For argument's sake, let's just say the goal is, "walk down the street in a AA neighborhood on a crisp autumn day and enter a nice restaurant."  To my mind, this means the +armor items that won't cause you grief are limited to:
Overcoats
Second Skin
Forearm Guards
Socks (although what they do for you precisely is up in the air)

Within this context, overcoats are pretty good, especially if you go with socks only counting towards called shots.

Helmets could potentially be such as well.  For Mortimer of London, I'd have an armored top hat. Steampunk, a pith helmet would work out well.
There is also the potential of using the ruthan polymer coating to make the item transparent.

though it kinda depends on the GM there, and how much customization they allow and how much a stickler they are for certain apperances there is. (Such as helmet has to be a military style helmet or something)

As for Micheal's thing.. I'd personally rule it just as it is, an armor accessory, meaning it doesn't play well with other armor accessories.
« Last Edit: <04-18-14/1122:30> by Triskavanski »

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #81 on: <04-18-14/1142:04> »
Yeah, the BBB definition of an armor accessory is something with a "+" in front of their rating, so I'd lump them in with them as well.

ProfessorCirno

• Omae
  • The strongest! The smartest! The rightest!
« Reply #82 on: <04-18-14/1204:55> »
Have you legitimately never been in a situation where wearing a giant overcoat would be extremely weird and/or unsociable?

This is like basic going outside the house 101.  "Overcoat" is not always applicable!

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #83 on: <04-18-14/1207:11> »
Have you legitimately never been in a situation where wearing a giant overcoat would be extremely weird and/or unsociable?

This is like basic going outside the house 101.  "Overcoat" is not always applicable!

When I went swimming.

the point is -
Great Coat acceptable? Wear just the great coat and whatever normal fancy cloths under it. (Please do not go nude under your great coat.)
Great coat unacceptable? Wear something something other than the Mortimer of London line.

« Last Edit: <04-18-14/1212:54> by Triskavanski »

Cronstintein

• Chummer
« Reply #84 on: <04-18-14/1211:32> »
Irl I used to work in a cyber cafe and we had a regular who would wear a trench coat and Indians Jones hat.  It definitely got an etiquette -1 reaction from me :D

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #85 on: <04-18-14/1213:09> »
Yeah, the BBB definition of an armor accessory is something with a "+" in front of their rating, so I'd lump them in with them as well.
Considering the Custom Fit limitations, I'm willing to go with Michael's interpretation on this one. It's more fair and balanced, IMO, and would give a reason why you would take a Custom Fit (Stack) item even if it only gives a small boost to your Armor.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #86 on: <04-18-14/1213:41> »
Irl I used to work in a cyber cafe and we had a regular who would wear a trench coat and Indians Jones hat.  It definitely got an etiquette -1 reaction from me :D

Its the fedora, or the fact his social limit was already so low, that even the best fashion could not save him. Since he's going to a cybercafe, I'd definitely say he's the latter of the two.
http://cdn2.thegloss.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/flasher.jpeg vs http://d30fnpgn92mkei.cloudfront.net/OC027BLK_aw11v1_c.jpg
« Last Edit: <04-18-14/1223:02> by Triskavanski »

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #87 on: <04-18-14/1423:53> »

Yeah, once you're inside, it becomes very strange to still be wearing it.  I had a harder time understanding this when I was in college, but I was in college in the mid-90's and we were all wearing grunge, so don't take anything 21-year old me said about fashion seriously.

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #88 on: <04-18-14/1721:52> »
Well, much of that depends on what you're going 'inside' of. Rules change a lot. Some things that are inside, are considered to be outside, and would cause you to look a little odd for taking off your hat. Meetings where you're standing up, you're probally okay wearing the coat. Fancy dinner parties, the coat is going into a closet or Coat rack. There is also the speed of the meeting to factor in as well. If its a quick 15 minute stand up meeting, then you're okay not taking off your coat.

Mind you, I've not said anything along the lines of "The coat is totally acceptable in all these situations that it shouldn't be!" or anything silly like that. What I had said, was that if you're going into a situation where the coat isn't going to be acceptable to wear.. wear something else.

The only reason to wear the coat + suit, if they only provide the +1 to armor, is if you're going into a situation where the coat isn't going to be applicable all the time (but will be applicable at least some of the time), and you're locked into the Mortimer of London line of clothing for the situation you're going into.

Otherwise, wearing heritage + second Skin, or Sleeping tiger, or anything else, would be by far more advisable.

Register