NEWS

Civil War Adaptation

• 4 Replies

WalrusFTW666

• Newb
« on: <09-22-13/2154:56> »
Hey guys.  I've been playing Shadowrun for a bit and I'm going to be DMing an upcoming campaign among a group of my friends.  But we were thinking of trying to adapt the shadowrun system to a setting closer to 1860s USA/CSA and running a couple rounds through that for fun (History Major here.  Love me some Gettysburg.)  Just wondering what you guys thought about the idea.  And tips or tricks to adapt.  or any tips and tricks in general.  I always appreciate second opinions.  Thanks guys.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-22-13/2213:11> »
I think you'd probably better off using a different system for that. Something like FATE, GURPS or Savage Worlds (Savage Worlds even has a Deadlands setting that would have late 1860s weapons and gear). Large parts of the SR system just wouldn't apply. You'd basically end up just taking the dice mechanics and writing a whole new game.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <09-23-13/0901:13> »
Back during 4th, I wrote bits of a setting that places Shadowrun back about a hundred years: VITAS hits with the 1918 flu pandemic, and is mixed with the Awakening (pregnant women who got the "spanish flu" during the first wave gave birth to dwarfs and elves, and a lot of survivors slowly turned into dwarfs or elves themselves, a lot of people hit by the second wave Goblinized and/or developed magical powers); magic users play a prominent role in the Irish civil war and in the US's Prohibition-era bootleggers, and a lot of native American youths cause trouble with their magic and then flee back onto the reservations; during WWII, the nazis are anti-metahumans while the Russians use a lot of Trolls and Orks in their front lines; bits like that. Augmentation would be the result of a law enforcement countermovement against magic users, combined with post-WWI prosthetics. Shadowrun would basically play during the Cold War, in the 1960s-1970s era, while technology would be about 25 years ahead in some areas.
The hardest things with converting the setting to the Cold War would be biometrics and the Matrix: with very few wireless connections, technomancers would mostly be about intercepting radio and radar/sonar signals; commlinks would be far more low-tech; Pilot programs would be missing in most vehicles; and GPS would still be pretty expensive and mostly used by the military.
A commlink (or "minicomp"), for example, wouldn't have a wireless router, cell phone, chip reader, gaming device (Pong is from 1972, so that's the level of games you'd expect even if you did), or wallet/credstick (except maybe for 'ghosts', which is the setting-specific term for shadowrunners). They would, however, have a small computer (on level with our world's 1980s computers, at the most), a radio, an instant film or microfilm photo camera, stuff like that. Smartguns would be pretty expensive, too.

Anyway, my point is that given how much work is involved with moving Shadowrun back 100 years, moving it back 200 years would be even harder technology-wise:
  • 1830s: lawnmower, sewing machine, steam shovel, Colt revolver, photography, the telegraph, matches, conceptual design of a predecessor of the computer
  • 1840s: general anaesthesia, accuracy problem for early rockets "mostly solved"
  • 1850s: Darwin, epidemiology, first airship, first distillation of petroleum
  • 1860s: First Transcontinental Railroad, Gatling gun, Suez Canal, submarines, dynamite, internal combustion engines, basis for genetics, modern periodic table
  • 1870s: prototype telephone, light bulb, phonograph
  • 1880s: first central power plants, electric tricycle, first solar cell, electric fan, safety iron, first automobile, dry cell batteries
As you can see, even if you advance technology by about 20-30 years, there'd be a lot of technology missing (even weapons-wise: there wouldn't be a lot of machine guns that anyone could carry around; grenades either had paper fuses or a combustion mechanism that required them to land on their nose; sniper rifles may have reached an 'effective accurate' range of up to a mile during the 1870s, but they didn't begin training soldiers with them until WWI, and "reasonably accuracy" of over 600m wasn't reported until the end of WWII; missile and rocket launchers didn't really get used until post-WWI), so you'd have to steampunk the heck out of every bit of technology. It might be better to use a different system.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #3 on: <09-24-13/0154:33> »
Hey guys.  I've been playing Shadowrun for a bit and I'm going to be DMing an upcoming campaign among a group of my friends.  But we were thinking of trying to adapt the shadowrun system to a setting closer to 1860s USA/CSA and running a couple rounds through that for fun (History Major here.  Love me some Gettysburg.)  Just wondering what you guys thought about the idea.  And tips or tricks to adapt.  or any tips and tricks in general.  I always appreciate second opinions.  Thanks guys.
Honestly, I think you'd be better off with a different system. As has been mentioned, the Shadowrun system just doesn't work for games in the past that well, or for games without magic and cyberware and metatypes and all that. If you want to run a game set in the Civil War, there are already systems out there that are easily able to do that. There's a history variant of the D20 Future line (named D20 Past, IIRC). Most players will know the basic mechanics, since it is based on the d20 system. Then there's things like GURPS, Hero System, and Mutants and Masterminds, which are point-based, effects-based systems, and have a lot of variability in how they can be used.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

mjack

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <09-26-13/1639:08> »
I agree with Mirikon. There are better system for this setting. But, just for some fun it is quite some capital investment to buy all the required books and everybody will have to get used to the new game mechanics. If you at last like playing historical settings more than Shadowrun you should nevertheless think about picking up another game.

In case your Civil War trip is for mundane humans only an adaption of the rules should be very well possible, but will take time and some careful considerations. The basic mechanics will work out of the box and we can skip all the Metahuman, Magic, Matrix and Rigger stuff.

Some suggestions for the 5th Edition:

The Priority System needs conversion for Resources. I am not an expert for Civil War history, but 100,000 were more like $100 back then, I guess. Karma to cash could be something like 1 Karma to $2. All the enhancements and augmentations from gear will be missing and it might make sense to provide new characters more than 25 Karma at the end of generation to balance this out a bit. Prime Runner suggestion is 35, your decision.

The combat rules will work as present and vehicle combat should apply quite well to horses, carts and other appropriate historical vehicles and vessels. Melee, Throwing and Projectile weapons will also be no big deal, but Firearms will. You need decreased ranges and lower accuracy and consider the differences of smoothbore and rifled muskets. There are no rules for loading times of muzzle-loaders which you will have to develop yourself. For sure this might take quite some Complex Actions. But the good thing here, resource material is plenty. Even a brief look on Wikipedia will help a lot.

For ranges I suggest you work with a simple progression which is very close to Shadowrun. Determine the Effective Range of a firearm and then calculate Short, Medium, Long and Extreme ranges with a simple multiplier. The following formulas allow range calculations on the fly.

Ballshot:
Short (-0) EffRange x 0.1
Medium (-1) EffRange x 0.3
Long (-3) EffRange x 0.6
Extreme (-6) EffRange x 1.0

Buckshot:
Short (-0) EffRange x 0.3
Medium (-1) EffRange x 0.6
Long (-3) EffRange x 0.8
Extreme (-6) EffRange x 1.0

Concerning firearms Damage Values you should stick to the lower  ones (DV 6 - 12) probably without Armor Piercing at all, because there are no effective ballistic armors in your setting. A leather jacket is listed with AR 4, duster could be AR 6 and you could allow a boilerplate or something for additional protection. But keep this in mind, because combat might get even more deadlier than it is in SR5 now.

As a balancing workaround for missing armor you could increase the Condition Monitors. For example:

Physical: 9+BOD
Stun: 9+BOD
-1 modifier every 4th instead of 3rd box of damage.

Some Skill Groups and Skills can be totally discarded or need an adequate replacement. For simplicity do not use Skill Groups at all. Convert Group Points at CharGen to Skill Points - (Group Points x 3) = Additional Skill Points.

Discard Skills:
Automatics
Pilot Aerospace
Biotechnology
Cybertechnology
Cybercombat
Electronic Warfare
Hacking
Software
All Mechanics Skills
All Magic Skills
All Resonance Skills

Replace Skills:
Pilot Aircraft = Pilot Balloon
Pilot Groundcraft = Pilot Train
Pilot Walker = Riding
Computer = Research
Hardware = Handicraft

Add Skills:
Mechanics
Pilot Cart

Adjust Skill Specializations accordingly.

This is not a complete list of required changes. More issues will occur while playing. But maybe this already makes a good starting point for you.

Register