NEWS

5th Ed Mystic Adepts

• 110 Replies

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <07-02-13/1457:40> »
That will NOT be effective in SR5, quindraco.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #16 on: <07-02-13/1508:05> »
On the other hand, I suspect a lot of mystic adepts in Missions will be grandfathered in by the time an errata printing (or SR5A, since next year is the 25th anniversary) comes out, just as characters were grandfathered who had already paid to increase attributes between SR4 and SR4A.  And there are a lot of mystic adepts out there already (including two at my home table).  Ironically, my Season 5 Missions character is my first (ever) street sam. :)

Just a note for Missions...

Errata is in effect as soon as it is released in any form, not just once it's in the print book. And we have a running document of eratta that will hopefully be released alongside the PDF/Print book.  So other than broken Mystic Adepts made during Origins, I don;t expect to see anymore made under the broken rules.
« Last Edit: <07-02-13/1510:05> by Bull »

quindraco

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <07-02-13/1511:32> »

I sincerely hope you're right and look forward to reading rules that back up your assertion.

Warmachinez

• Chummer
« Reply #18 on: <07-02-13/1521:20> »

Errata is in effect as soon as it is released in any form, not just once it's in the print book. And we have a running document of eratta that will hopefully be released alongside the PDF/Print book.  So other than broken Mystic Adepts made during Origins, I don;t expect to see anymore made under the broken rules.

What do you mean by "broken mystic adept"? Is there already an unofficial errata or mistake in the Origins book?
Chaos? Lack of protection? Enemies lurking in the shadows? Sounds
to me like the fun’s just beginning. Sorry you’ll miss it, omae.
> Kane

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <07-02-13/1525:55> »
What do you mean by "broken mystic adept"? Is there already an unofficial errata or mistake in the Origins book?
As is stated in the first few post, first printing has a cos of 2 karma per powerpoint for mystic adepts in chargen witch is suppposed to be higher.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #20 on: <07-02-13/1533:25> »

<whistles innocently>

To be perfectly honest, I would actually prefer requiring people to rebuild to a current legal build rather than allowing grandfathered stuff. Just seems more fair.

-k

DireRadiant

• SRM FAQ Committee
  • Omae
  • The Dragon Never Sleeps
« Reply #21 on: <07-02-13/1659:20> »
Good thing I made a ton of karma for my Mystic Adept at Origins.... :)

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <07-02-13/1855:10> »

I sincerely hope you're right and look forward to reading rules that back up your assertion.

To begin with, ot's a question of Limits.  As they are the primary attribute for Physical and Mental limits respectively, dumping Strength and Logic is a hilariously terrible plan.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <07-02-13/1905:01> »

<whistles innocently>

To be perfectly honest, I would actually prefer requiring people to rebuild to a current legal build rather than allowing grandfathered stuff. Just seems more fair.

-k

I would too, but there are other complications involved.  If a year or two in another rule needs changed, do we force a respec/rebuild or whatever?  And of course the question is, if not, why didn't we do it here?

But in the long run it won't have a tremendous impact.  Just means you came out of the game swinging a little harder than normal, so to speak.  And there's not exactly a LOT of Mystic Adepts from Origins.  Except a few of you cheesemonkeys that saw the abuse potential immediately and glommed onto it :)

Bull

Ricochet

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <07-02-13/1959:38> »
I would have been a Cheesemonkey too, just to help convince everyone it needed to be changed.  I'm glad it's being updated.  I can modify my priority to make the better character that fits my original concept.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #25 on: <07-02-13/2112:59> »
Since we're on the subject of errata for Mystic Adept, any statement on the rule that Fringe refers to as stating Mystic Adepts automatically get Power Points for raising Magic, rather than solely from Initiating for Power Points as I recall someone stating somewhere (prolly a freelancer at dumpshock)?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <07-02-13/2146:39> »
Well you can buy Powerpoints up to your magic attribute during character creation. The problem is raising your Magic attribute to 6 if you did not start with Priority A Magic.

And if you do select Magic A, then you end up with a really average character beasaue you either miss out on skills or attributes... you cant have everything with the priority system.

I personnaly tried to build a Face Mystic Adept who can atleast handle himself in fights and... I cant do it. He ends up with a lack of attributes or skills.
No it ends up being totally broken unless you build your character to suck.  Just build a mage, now add 6 PP instead of astral projection, you just are better than the mage hands down and as you advance you will just get better and better than the mage. Just pick powers tha are skill neutral like combat sense, or mystic armor etc, or for the skills you had points for.  You basically tried to cover 3 sets of things, magic, face, and bad ass sure you will fail.  Anyone who doesn't go crazy will be flat out better than the mage, and mages weren't exactly the weak archetype in the game.  At 5 per PP it is still broken due to how you advance getting both PP and magical juju.  In SR4 we had plenty of mystic adepts and they were actually balanced with the rest of the team.

I would have preferred totally splitting the magic attributes.  Mystic Adept A would get you 6 in magic to split between Mage magic attribute and Physical adept magic attribute, 2 totally seperate stats.  It would be similar at launch to 4e, but due to it being 2 smaller stats and stats increasing in cost at attribute shooting for x5, they could advance the attributes quicker.(going from 6 to 7 is 35 karma for 1 pooint in either adept or magic, but if you have a 3 and a 3, you could increase both to 4 for 40 karma)  and with starting karma you could go 6 magic for spell casting 0 magic for physical adept, use karma to raise physical adept magic to 1,2,3 for 30 karma or the reverse. 

Whether you are a mage or Mystake adept you are going to bump into the same skill/attribute problems. Lets say A skill B magic, C attribute.  Sorry but 16 in attributes just suck, you are going to be mostly 2s, with a 3 and your drain stats are fine.  It doesn't matter if you are a mage or an mystake adept your attributes suck.  It is not hard to either focus on things not related to any attribute/skill or to the ones you happen to be good at. 

Want to make a mystake adept, build a mage and just make him a mystake instead you just successfully upped your power. 

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <07-02-13/2150:20> »
It's not free power points - you have to pay for them, and if you're paying enough you will be weaker, and notably so.  For example, if it was high enough that even Prime Mystic Adepts had to dip into negative quality karma to pay for those points...
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <07-02-13/2205:10> »
It's not free power points - you have to pay for them, and if you're paying enough you will be weaker, and notably so.  For example, if it was high enough that even Prime Mystic Adepts had to dip into negative quality karma to pay for those points...

Even if it cost every Karma they have at the normal level it isn't balanced.  This is 65 BP worth of physical adept powers for 50 karma and BP get you more for your buck than karma does.  6 PP in adept powers just will get you more than what the 50 karma would for the mage.  Then once they start improving their magic they get both which is just insane. And its not like positive qualities are gone forever, the mystake can still pick up whatever one is mage awesome like focused concentration in play.  Versatility should come with less power, there is no less power here.  It is more power and more versatility. 

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <07-03-13/0005:38> »
Since we're on the subject of errata for Mystic Adept, any statement on the rule that Fringe refers to as stating Mystic Adepts automatically get Power Points for raising Magic, rather than solely from Initiating for Power Points as I recall someone stating somewhere (prolly a freelancer at dumpshock)?

It's not 100% clear, and it's also being looked at.