NEWS

[OOC] TriSeq Runners, Private Military Campaign Adventure

• 548 Replies

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #225 on: <03-12-13/0850:12> »
That just sounds extremely inefficient to me. Would the threshold be the same for both tests?
Self thought
Speech
Matrix

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #226 on: <03-12-13/0852:18> »
That just sounds extremely inefficient to me. Would the threshold be the same for both tests?

RAW: The user receives a bonus of +2 dice pool modifier on all Perception Tests to find the source of a specific sound.

You dont receive bonus to notice the sound. You receive bonus when attempting "to find the source".

Thrass

• Omae
« Reply #227 on: <03-12-13/0903:57> »
let's assume we have some random but known situational modifier like wind, the rotors of a rotorcraft...
then the sound filters should work

Aryeonos didn't say where the -3 come from, could be from a sneaking someone who has a silence spell or adept power,
or it could be something like wind.

Since Aryeonos specifically said, the earpices help I assume, that the select sound filters apply to the situation, otherwise there would hardlybe any need to mention them specifically.

sHe could have meant, don't forget the +3 from your enhanced sound earpiece mod, but unless otherwise noted I will continue to assume the select sound filter was referenced and thus use them in my roll.
Speech - Thought - Matrix
Characters: Andy - Andys rolls

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #228 on: <03-12-13/0907:52> »
So basically it would be for sounds that are so obvious (for example a big explosion) we don't need to roll perception, but we would roll to locate where that came from. Makes sense. I'll edit my post consequently.

And yeah, the way I understand it Select Sound Filter would have to be set before picking up on the sound. It shouldn't help pick up on a sound per say, just filter out the other junk so it's easier to concentrate on one particular sound. I think it can also be set to warn you if a certain trigger is activated.
« Last Edit: <03-12-13/0912:44> by HydroRaven »
Self thought
Speech
Matrix

Thrass

• Omae
« Reply #229 on: <03-12-13/0913:46> »
Spatial recognizer is for example for sniper shots.

You may hear it the first time and maybe know the general direction of the source.
A spatial recognizer could pinpoint the source in such an accurate way, that you can shoot back.
Also if you don't find it at first a spatial recognizer gives you cumulative boni on subsequent sniper shots from the same source,to find it.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #230 on: <03-12-13/0927:36> »
let's assume we have some random but known situational modifier like wind, the rotors of a rotorcraft...
then the sound filters should work

Aryeonos didn't say where the -3 come from, could be from a sneaking someone who has a silence spell or adept power,
or it could be something like wind.

Since Aryeonos specifically said, the earpices help I assume, that the select sound filters apply to the situation, otherwise there would hardlybe any need to mention them specifically.

sHe could have meant, don't forget the +3 from your enhanced sound earpiece mod, but unless otherwise noted I will continue to assume the select sound filter was referenced and thus use them in my roll.

IMO Ayeronos meant that +3 Improved audio fom headphones should be available, but -3 for situational modifiers do apply.
One more time what Select sound filter do: You are able to highlight ONE SINGLE CHOSEN channel at a time, and have trigered monitoring for others, which would allowing him to playback the sequence.
And it doesnt give any bonus dices
Rules are more than clear on what this equipement does.

So basically it would be for sounds that are so obvious (for example a big explosion) we don't need to roll perception, but we would roll to locate where that came from. Makes sense. I'll edit my post consequently.

And yeah, the way I understand it Select Sound Filter would have to be set before picking up on the sound. It shouldn't help pick up on a sound per say, just filter out the other junk so it's easier to concentrate on one particular sound. I think it can also be set to warn you if a certain trigger is activated.

You can locate things you know that exist.
You are not able to locate anything you dont even know that exists.
= You can try to locate anything that exists and you have succeeded in perception roll for it :)

Thrass

• Omae
« Reply #231 on: <03-12-13/0934:57> »
Yes they don't give bonus dice,but negate penalties...
Also I interpreted the sound filters, that you can filter out a single channel too (like partychatter, wind,...),
This should technically be easily handable for that kind of technology.
If I played this wrong for all those years I will reroll, without further ado,
but I think Aryeonos should decide if they do work or if they don't, so I'll wait for his call.

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #232 on: <03-12-13/1009:28> »
You can locate things you know that exist.
You are not able to locate anything you dont even know that exists.
= You can try to locate anything that exists and you have succeeded in perception roll for it :)

Can you give me an example of something the character knows exists but doesn't know where it is? Every example I can think of the character should be able to pinpoint where it is coming from with a certain number of net hits on the first perception test. Needing a second perception test just to pinpoint where the sound is coming from sounds time consuming for no good reason. Would the threshold be the same as the first test? Would the modifiers be the same as well? If not, what different modifiers could there be? I'm really confused by this.
Self thought
Speech
Matrix

Thrass

• Omae
« Reply #233 on: <03-12-13/1020:33> »
As mentioned before:

You hear a snipershot, and maybe know the general direction (behind you) but due to the long distance and echo provided by the mountainview,
you can't tell wether he sits inside the shed that's 800meters away and more to the right or maybe uses those rocks as cover and camouflage that are sitting more to the left and are maybe 900meters away.

You know the sound exists, but you don't know where it comes from.

Another example:
You are in the basement of a building complex and 2 floors above there is a detonation, you do know the sound exists because you hear all the rumble and feel the ground shaking,
but discerning the exact location of the detonation/sound source (2 floors up down the hall 4th room to the left) is quite dificult.

If for any reason you don't get the needed hits to pinpoint the sniper in example 1 (long range maybe a sound suppressor and the echo are quite a lot of negative dice pool modifiers) then you can subsequently try to improve the location on the 2nd / 3rd shoot wile taking cover or running away or evening running towards him.

A third example, you are searching that stupid cockroach that just crawled under your kitchen sink an it does those cockroach sounds,
You know they exist and can barely hear them if turning up your enhanced sound perception, but you need to specifically know
wether it sits in the left corner waiting or running alogn the right side beneath your kitchen furniture.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #234 on: <03-12-13/1033:09> »
IMO this is up to GM to say the final word. I had hard time learning this during PbP two years ago...
Darkened floor in the building, targets somewhere around. My adept had Select sound filter set to human steps, doors, metal parts scratching(weapons etc), and breathing. We knew there is another one in corridors, well we didnt see each other, Ive managed to hear his steps and used Spatial recognizer to be able to locate the man and outmaneuver the man into the field of fire. He solved that with grenade launcher, catching me in chunky salsa area, costed me point of Edge for Hand of god and new liver :P well I never forget those combat turns :D

IMO when you use select sound filter the way you just did...to supress the background noise, you would supress even some important sounds that would be good to hear. It works the way it analyzes this background, and when specific pattern appears, it highliths it over others...

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #235 on: <03-12-13/1035:00> »
I.E. in our situation: If GM wants us to roll for perception to make an impression about how stealth those airplanes are, you would filter out the sound of engines ;)

Bewilderbeast

• Omae
« Reply #236 on: <03-12-13/1119:38> »
With only six hours of sunlight, summoning spirits might be difficult, since they disappear at sunrise and sunset. I assume (since this is touchy-feely astral stuff we're talking about), this refers to literal sunrise and sunset. Can we get some idea from our GM when sunrise will be happening? Mid-flight, about when we land? It will help me and Fisher determine whether or not non-bound spirits will be a sound investment.
"Dialogue"
<<Matrix/Comm>>
"Astral"
Thoughts

Thrass

• Omae
« Reply #237 on: <03-12-13/1123:21> »
I was assuming select sound filters would be more advanced then a lowpass/highpass filter by 2073.

And the book talks about ignoring penalties up to x/y when trying to make out a specific noise,
it does not say anything about setting it to specific sounds etc. I still am under the impression,
that this is not only an intelligent program, but also hardware specifically designed, with state
of the art 270 technology.
So wind should be a different noise then engines imho.

I really do need to re read the rules before discussing it though, it might just be lenient ruling in my groups.
And this might be worth a rules thread instead of having it here in OOC.

Thrass

• Omae
« Reply #238 on: <03-12-13/1128:01> »
I think while in the process of binding sunset/sunrise shouldn't disturb you, does it?

When you have 10 hours time you summon a spirit which takes... 3 seconds?
Then bind it a couple of hours, lets say a force 5 spirit, you need 5 hours and then have 5 hours left to get rid of drain.
I think medkits work on drain, so the docs should be able to help you with that too.

With 4 hours of time beforehand you might be able to summon/bind a spirit of force 4 and another spirit of force 5 on the flight.

I didn't check your drain pool though... that might be too much to handle. (though I think you got those pain editors that let you ignore the accumulated stun damage from the first binding on the second one)

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #239 on: <03-12-13/1129:20> »
Quote from: SRA, p.333
Select Sound Filter:
This filter allows the user to block out back-ground noise and focus on
specific sounds or patterns of sounds (in-cluding sound, word, or speech
pattern recognition). Each rating point allows the user to select a single
sound group (such as a conversation or the breathing of a guard dog )
and focus on it. The user can only actively listen to one group at a time,
but she may choose to record the others for later playback or set them
to triggered monitoring (such as sounding an alert if there is a variation
in the breathing pattern of the dog, or if the conversation brings up a
certain topic).