NEWS

So you want a crappy Fake SIN ?

• 42 Replies

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <04-15-19/1323:57> »

Where do I find C2 rules?

Hard Targets, p. 180ish.  In the back with all the crunch.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #31 on: <04-18-19/2346:14> »
...that's why you should always carry a spray bottle of C Squared in your kit.

C Squared Gas grenades are my go too. One quick toss and you have covered a very large area with C Squared to removed or at least increase the forensic evidence collection threshold by 6 which means they need 7 hits for even the most basic stuff. I dont buy anything less then R6 C squared.

Ooohhhh,  this sounds nice.

I always keep a cheap $1 plastic spray bottle filled with $1 jug of bleach for emergency bio wipe down, but the idea of a grenade when you are short on time is worth looking into.

Where do I find C2 rules?

I'm beginning to think this is most shadowrun characters recently.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #32 on: <04-19-19/0008:21> »
Hard Targets, p. 180ish.  In the back with all the crunch.
Gracias!

More like those cheap school backpacks.
Enough to slip in a canteen, spray bottle, med kit, etc etc, while looking like you might be on your way home from a night class.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <04-19-19/0021:22> »

I find that players keep forgetting that rating 6 medkits are about that size :D
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <04-19-19/0046:34> »

I find that players keep forgetting that rating 6 medkits are about that size :D

Its why i usually have rating 3 for any medic character, keep the rating 6 in the car.  But its crazy how many times I see on this forum and that's why I carry this....

Its one of the issues I have with this games bloat, the doohickey for everything.

theclaw

• Newb
« Reply #35 on: <04-30-19/0821:53> »
Thanks everyone for your answers.

So far I've decided to do the following:

I ask them to roll Etiquette or Stealth skill rank + Sin level vs Device Rating x 2. But only if their Sin rating is strictly (<) below the "device rating of the area".

I consider Downtown to be a 3-4 device rating area, Bellevue being 6 and Barrens being 0 :)

If it's a tie or better they're good
If they lose by 1, recheck
If they lose by more than 1: alert and the Sin is burned.

If a character is Unlucky or Lucky it can have some repercussions on that roll.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <04-30-19/1030:00> »
I ask them to roll Etiquette or Stealth skill rank + Sin level vs Device Rating x 2. But only if their Sin rating is strictly (<) below the "device rating of the area".

I consider Downtown to be a 3-4 device rating area, Bellevue being 6 and Barrens being 0 :)

If it's a tie or better they're good
If they lose by 1, recheck
If they lose by more than 1: alert and the Sin is burned.
Did....did you you actually read the thread? Because almost everything about your decisions flies in the face of the advice offered and is worse than the actual rules for checking SINs. Heck, did you even read the core rulebook?
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

theclaw

• Newb
« Reply #37 on: <04-30-19/1043:04> »
Actually I played and had to make a decision before most of the thread.

Then I just though that maybe I should be nice and polite to all the people who actually read my question and answered.

Turn out I was wrong. Anyway, #internet2019 right ?

So, as my final answer/post to this thread: no I do't think my decision goes against everything said here. I check their Sins only when they are in an area with better security than the rating of their Sin, which complies with "it's not checked all the time" and when they go to an area secure enough, they know that their crappy rating 2 "I'll buy a better one later who gives a fuck" SIN is putting them in danger because even the liquor shop cashier can spot a fake student ID. But if/when they get enough spare money to buy a Rating 6 SIN they'll be ok pretty much everywhere.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #38 on: <04-30-19/1057:20> »
I rather dislike depending on skills and qualities. It sounds like you're targeting specific players with that, which can lead to unfair situations in my view. Maybe it works on your table, but it rubs me the wrong way. Only rolling when the rating is worse also means you're basically only making them roll when they have bad odds.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #39 on: <04-30-19/1300:37> »
It sounds like you're targeting specific players with that, which can lead to unfair situations in my view.

That is the essence of Shadowrun.

"Everyone gets screwed sometimes."

Tech based characters don't give a dead devil rat's ass about Background Count.
Magic characters feel the same about Noise.
Only Sammies really have to pay attention to cyberware scanners.
Vehicle based character (primarily Riggers) have to pay month(s) of rent to repair their "thing" when / if it gets damaged.

And I could go on.  If that is your only gripe, you don't have a leg to stand on.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #40 on: <04-30-19/1304:31> »
It sounds like you're targeting specific players with that, which can lead to unfair situations in my view.

That is the essence of Shadowrun.
I said PLAYERS. Not characters. PLAYERS. If you want to target players, that says more about your legs than mine.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #41 on: <04-30-19/1311:44> »
In this particular discussion, what's the difference?

So what if a PLAYER CHOSE to not have a decent quality  fake SIN?
The same PLAYER CHOSE to play a tech based character, or a Magic based character.
The same PLAYER CHOSE to play Shadowrun in the first place.

It isn't like the rule is aimed at only PLAYERs with Red Hair or anything.  It targets PLAYERS in the exact same way the other rules do.

You have a mighty selective vocabulary.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #42 on: <04-30-19/1459:44> »
So, as my final answer/post to this thread: no I do't think my decision goes against everything said here. I check their Sins only when they are in an area with better security than the rating of their Sin, which complies with "it's not checked all the time"
Except "every time you go downtown or walk into a nice neighborhood" is "all the time". SIN check are something that's supposed to happen when you walk into a corp facility in broad daylight or cross national borders, and in the latter case you'll often have Mr. Johnson bypass that for you. You're also ignoring the discussion about how each higher level of SIN checkers are increasingly involved and inconvenient, which in turn makes them increasingly rare.

Then there's your choice to make it a skill check. Why is a higher rating SIN checker more difficult to sneak around or talk your way out of? Shouldn't you be rolling against the officer and/or drone with the SIN checker? Why do you get a bonus equal to your SIN rating to your stealth or etiquette check? How does that even work? And why are you even using this house rule when it's more work than using the rule in the core rulebook for no perceivable benefit?

and when they go to an area secure enough, they know that their crappy rating 2 "I'll buy a better one later who gives a fuck" SIN is putting them in danger because even the liquor shop cashier can spot a fake student ID. But if/when they get enough spare money to buy a Rating 6 SIN they'll be ok pretty much everywhere.
Now this just sounds like you're out to shit on a particular player for personal reasons and are looking to use SIN checks as an excuse/opportunity to do so.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide