NEWS

Shadowrun Mercs

• 57 Replies

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #30 on: <03-14-13/0910:31> »
Could Africa be revived?

Well the Megas are trying to with their project in Kenya and of course the stable country of Azania as well as footholds in less stable regions like Nigeria, Liberia, Ethnosomalia, etc. helps but the vast majority of Africa is all chaos, jungle. The chaos in the Congo Tribal areas makes Amazonia look like a fascist state.

So it will take a LOT of work to stabilize Africa. And the megas got LOTS of problems elsewhere to focus on Africa.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #31 on: <03-14-13/1652:11> »
Quicksilver should also have Distance Strike. There was some confusion, but he used it quite often and cleverly in the Dragon Heart Saga, so it's an unfortunate absence of what I consider his signature power (IA Stealth was his dominant skill, but ...).

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <03-14-13/2116:32> »
Devil Dog One...

hehehehehehe

Such a happy jarhead after reading that.
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <03-14-13/2205:50> »
The FMC was (in part) a Marine's idea.

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <03-14-13/2257:41> »
Well then Semper Fi!
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

bannockburn

• Chummer
  • BGMfH
« Reply #35 on: <03-15-13/0617:45> »
Explains a lot.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup
http://bannockburn1981.deviantart.com/

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #36 on: <03-15-13/0931:23> »
I know I've been getting some flak for the FMC, but I did try to do right by them. Are they a bit over the top, hell yeah! But then so are some of my friends who are Marines, God bless them. I think SR needs a wee-bit more of honest good guys. Like New Assets, I didn't create the FMC, I just got to flesh out some of their story and I stand by it. And if you do like the FMC, check out Storm Front.

And yes, that IS a shameless plug. I am allowed after all.  8)
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

bannockburn

• Chummer
  • BGMfH
« Reply #37 on: <03-15-13/0942:52> »
Well, it's a matter of taste I guess. While I enjoyed all the other writeups (even new assets, who don't interest me in the least) to varying degrees, I personally hated the FMC writeup and think the book would have been better served by a non-American merc group.*
To my eyes, you made them sound like terrible mary sues and that's really not a service.
E.g. the chinese vulture guys have _tons_ more character than those bland all-American boys in uniform, and judging from the other 9 chapters it is not a matter of lack of writing skill that did the FMC in.
Before 10 mercs, the FMC was a unit on the sidelines with an interesting history (what happens when the USA splits up? => FMC). Now it is ... over the top and ultimately not really very believable. The stuff in Storm Front just makes it worse. By a lot.

*Edit: There are not enough of those, btw. North America is not really a merc hot spot and yet there are only 3 non-American companies, three and a half maybe if you count the European fighter pilots in the 180th. Squandered opportunity, IMHO.
« Last Edit: <03-15-13/0945:27> by bannockburn »
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #38 on: <03-15-13/2211:42> »
Speaking as a Marine - I thought the FMC write up was spot on.

We really are that awesome  ;D

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #39 on: <03-15-13/2213:15> »
And yes, that IS a shameless plug. I am allowed after all.  8)

At least you aren't as shameless as CanRay on that. :P
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

bannockburn

• Chummer
  • BGMfH
« Reply #40 on: <03-15-13/2229:00> »

Well, at least this shows that the training works and you believe your own hype.

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #41 on: <03-15-13/2239:18> »

Well, at least this shows that the training works and you believe your own hype.

Ok. ok - we don't WALK on water....

Much too slow so we run  ;)

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #42 on: <03-15-13/2246:33> »
Actually, I thought the FMC writeup was fairly believable. Especially considering that they set up shop in the Carib League. Amphibious warfare is what Marines are best at, and any merc company specializing in that kind of tactic fills a niche that most wouldn't focus on, much like the magic and air force merc companies also in the book. Most merc companies range from special forces to standing armies, but they are all primarily ground troops.

As for why you don't see more non-American merc companies, there are two reasons that spring immediately to mind. 1) While North America is not one of the places mercs typically do most of their active work, it is a place with lots of money, and lots of soldiers to recruit from, given that there are how many national militaries dotting the landscape? Combined with the fact that people in North America have the luxury of not living in hellholes like Africa, where tribal influences would undermine any unit cohesion, and any groups already tight enough to be an effective fighting force are already involved in things like piracy other such things... Remember, mercs are people you bring in from SOMEWHERE ELSE because there's too much crazy going on in your neck of the woods, and you can't trust your own people to be skilled (or loyal) enough to do the job. 2) The game itself is Amero-centric. At least, that's how it is in the English version. The German writers focus more on Europe, naturally. The main setting is Seattle, and most of the things the biz goes on revolves around North Am sprawls, with a dose of Japan, Hong Kong, and (only recently) Bogota. Though the Bogota thing is a plot arc that's ending now. So really, other than brief mentions of Lagos (otherwise known as Mos Eisley on a bad day) and occaisional jaunts to Europe, anything you're going to be reading is going to be focused on North Am.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #43 on: <03-15-13/2259:55> »
Actually, I thought the FMC writeup was fairly believable. Especially considering that they set up shop in the Carib League. Amphibious warfare is what Marines are best at, and any merc company specializing in that kind of tactic fills a niche that most wouldn't focus on, much like the magic and air force merc companies also in the book. Most merc companies range from special forces to standing armies, but they are all primarily ground troops.

Exactly - given our history as a rapid response "We will bring a Can O Whoop Ass anywhere in the world in 48 hours"  force the description of the FMC was accurate. I especially loved how Improvise,Adapt,Overcome was worked into their history and training.

The "We and Mr. Kane have an understanding" bit was hillarious

Gunny Wayne reminds me of a SNCO I knew named Dominguez - 5 ft tall, 5 foot wide and bad ass. .

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #44 on: <03-16-13/0110:05> »
Gunny Wayne reminds me of a SNCO I knew named Dominguez - 5 ft tall, 5 foot wide and bad ass. .
Reminds me of my Stepfather.

RIP, Dad.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11