NEWS

Shadowrun Mercs

• 57 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #15 on: <03-03-13/1840:56> »
Hell, I think the only nice place to live in Shadowrun is the NAN.  As long as you're First Nations, and don't mind a rustic homestyle.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #16 on: <03-03-13/1939:54> »
Being an Elf in Tir Tairngir isn't bad, either. And if you like jungle, then Amazonia is the place for you!

Regarding Sub-Saharan Africa, even the relatively stable countries (except perhaps South Africa) are only a good cataclysm away from complete anarchy. And a couple waves of VITAS, plus terrain changes caused by the awakening, plus the Infected, plus Corps on a Resource Rush, plus... well, you get the idea. It isn't that any one thing led to Africa being a hellhole. And the response capability of any stable areas of Africa would have been hamstringed by the first matrix crash, dragons and elves carving out their territories out of what used to be South Africa, and so on. And the rest of the world was too busy worrying about the insanity in their own back yard to notice as Africa fell between the cracks.

Now, could Africa be revived? Well, they've been trying that for decades today, and it hasn't gone so well, but let's leave that aside. There are some relatively nice parts in Africa. Azania isn't bad, and Nairobe wouldn't be a bad place to be, if the spirits would just accept that the Mass Driver was there to stay. Until the recent troubles with their food supply and ferals, as well as the problems Infected seem to be experiencing worldwide, Asamando wouldn't be a bad place to live, if you're Awakened. The rest of Sub-Saharan Africa is mostly a patchwork of areas where quality of life depends on the local warlord, which corps have bought him off, and how corrupt he is, as well as if there are any Awakened dangers lurking around. And then there's Lagos. A more wretched hive of scum and villainy...
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <03-03-13/2010:30> »
Agreed...I think this is a very plausible scenario.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <03-03-13/2217:42> »
"It isn't that any one thing led to Africa being a hellhole."

Yes, there is. It's called Cyberpirates!.

Windshare

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <03-07-13/1351:50> »
Hi !
I'm curious about one of the characters in Mercs : Major Mc Cord, Human Changeling with "Metahuman Trait: extended lifespan".

Does it mean that he has the lifespan of an elf character ? I didn't know you could do that with the Changeling Quality "Metahuman Trait". It's a nice idea !

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <03-07-13/1438:33> »
Of course, look at Africa today, and it isn't much better. Africa in Shadowrun pretty well mirrors what I think would happen if plagues swept through wiping out governments left and right, the UN wasn't around to do anything,
The UN is around to do something?
[spoiler][/spoiler]

But in real life, you have the African Union replacing western peacekeeping intervention with local forces. And with both its natural resources and potential telsiman, an African megacorp is not unfeasible, say a magic orientated mining company or similar?  Heck, think Shadowrun Wakanda.
I agree, and I think that a lot of the supposition about Africa being and remaining in destitute chaos is presumptuous based on its recent history (taking into account history of the human species) and comparison with European imperial powers, themselves being fairly short-lived (if phenomenally wide-spread), ignoring the fact that various places in Africa, like the Indian subcontinent and others have had a cyclical period of fragmentation and small empires. But this is starting to divert from the thread topic.

Human Changeling with "Metahuman Trait: extended lifespan"

Does it mean that he has the lifespan of an elf character ? I didn't know you could do that with the Changeling Quality "Metahuman Trait".
I think that "Metahuman trait" is a place where you can shoehorn in a vast number of things depending on your table, possibly to increase compatibility with groups leaning more towards transhumanism; the list in Runner's Companion is intentionally non-exhaustive.

Windshare

• Newb
« Reply #21 on: <03-07-13/1701:04> »
Great ! Thanks for your reply.   ;)

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #22 on: <03-08-13/0940:41> »
Hi !
I'm curious about one of the characters in Mercs : Major Mc Cord, Human Changeling with "Metahuman Trait: extended lifespan".

Does it mean that he has the lifespan of an elf character ? I didn't know you could do that with the Changeling Quality "Metahuman Trait". It's a nice idea !

Thanks! Well, the powers that be didn't strike it down soooo...

Honestly, it was just an idea I had when I created the origional chracter years ago. I think I was reading something about elves (specifically the Tir nobility) and found their arrogance particularly grating that day. I've always had a thing for knocking arrogance down a few notches and the idea of a longer-lived human that's been around a while appealed to me. Plus, I just like longer lived characters.  And I'm a writer, I'm allowed to do things like this!

But if one was to use this in their game, also remember that Dwarves also have a significantly longer lifespan than humans. Take that for what you will.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #23 on: <03-08-13/1447:38> »
Considering the fact that I have Centennials in my family, some of whom were in pretty good shape, and one that died of a thing that can hit anyone at any age...  Yeah, expanded age is an understandable trait.

I think we have three or four letters from Queen Elizabeth II in the family around...
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <03-09-13/1448:24> »
I've always had a thing for knocking arrogance down a few notches and the idea of a longer-lived human that's been around a while appealed to me. Plus, I just like longer lived characters.  And I'm a writer, I'm allowed to do things like this!

But if one was to use this in their game, also remember that Dwarves also have a significantly longer lifespan than humans. Take that for what you will.
I also seem to remember that there was an Immortal Dwarf character mentioned, though I can't remember if that was a more strictly linked to Earthdawn (which is no longer connected to Shadowrun due to intellectual property rights) or if that was a canon Shadowrun-verse character. I'm sure that other members of this board that are more knowledgeable than I in past Shadowrun characters could clarify.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <03-11-13/1813:20> »
Mystic i gotta ask are you a fan of Fallout:Equestria or did you come up with the concept of Centaur battle harness all on your own.
Either way its pretty nice addition and save me the trouble of making a house rule write up of it,have been meaning to do that for months :)
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #26 on: <03-12-13/1659:56> »
Mystic i gotta ask are you a fan of Fallout:Equestria or did you come up with the concept of Centaur battle harness all on your own.
Either way its pretty nice addition and save me the trouble of making a house rule write up of it,have been meaning to do that for months :)

Glad you like it. One of the things I wanted to do with 10M to help make it stand out a bit was to give every unit some piece of unique gear (because gear sells) or special item. And while I've never seen Fallout: Equestria, I am more familiar with MLP than any man (other than a brony) has a right to be thanks to my three-year-old daughter. Although, I admit, I don't mind watching MLP with her, unlike with some other "kids" shows out there that make me want to stab my eyes out and ram hot steel rods into my brain in an attempt to purge the stupidity. But I digress. 

The concept for the CBH in 10M was mine and Cain Hazen's (send him hate mail as well! ;)). He planted the proto-idea about a centaur-centric unit in my brain during Origins '12 with some comment about getting one into SR. When it came time to flesh out 10M, I ran with it. The idea of a Centuar shock trooper loaded with weapons doing an old-fashioned cavalry charge made me grin so I worked out the details. The final version you see in 10M is actually scaled back because I was SURE that TPTB would say "Ah....no." to the idea in general and didn't want to totally cheese it out. The origional concept not only had the harness with weapon mounts on the flanks, but a gunners "turrret"/position manned by someone dwarf size or smaller. So yeah, in the original version you have a centaur running fill gallop with weapons in hands, on it's flanks, and then when they run past, the gunner lets loose. But even I knew that with weight restrictionsa gunner would be pushing it, so took it out. But maybe on the CBH-02.....hmmmm....
« Last Edit: <03-12-13/1708:25> by Mystic »

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <03-13-13/0355:06> »
unlike with some other "kids" shows out there that make me want to stab my eyes out and ram hot steel rods into my brain in an attempt to purge the stupidity.
There's Phineas and Ferb.

Speaking of extended lifespan and other changeling qualities, are these considered (in-universe) to be linked to the rising mana level, or just continuing aspects of genetics?

hermit

• Newb
« Reply #28 on: <03-13-13/0818:48> »
Mystic, since you're here, I have a question regarding the file.

re: Falcon TAC-C CSM M1
The text hints it doubles as a rigger cocoon. Is that correct? Does it double as a rigger cocoon or does the cocoon have to be installed separately? What is it's availability? Is the price a typo (5,500 Nuyen) because it seems extremely low? How does it work with non-aerial drones; does it work with the same benefits as hinted or not?

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #29 on: <03-13-13/1042:54> »
unlike with some other "kids" shows out there that make me want to stab my eyes out and ram hot steel rods into my brain in an attempt to purge the stupidity.
There's Phineas and Ferb.

Speaking of extended lifespan and other changeling qualities, are these considered (in-universe) to be linked to the rising mana level, or just continuing aspects of genetics?

I'll be honest, never thought about it in that much detail and I am NOT an authority on the subject but it's definately up for debate. And with all the new material coming out, I don't want to say anything and accidently contradict (sp?) something that someone above my pay grade may be working on. Sorry if that's a cop-out, but it is what it is. I say until someone specifically locks it down, go with whatever works for you.

Phineas and Ferb? Never heard of them *shoves Perry T-shirt, various action figures, games, and a Doofenschmirtz doll into closet* I have no idea what you're talking about.  8)

Mystic, since you're here, I have a question regarding the file.

re: Falcon TAC-C CSM M1
The text hints it doubles as a rigger cocoon. Is that correct? Does it double as a rigger cocoon or does the cocoon have to be installed separately? What is it's availability? Is the price a typo (5,500 Nuyen) because it seems extremely low? How does it work with non-aerial drones; does it work with the same benefits as hinted or not?

The Falconer Mk 1 was conceived as a combination of the two for use in either 1) a fast moving aircraff like a fighter-bomber to increase it's strike capability or 2) a large slower moving aircraft a la modern AWACS with multiple modules on board. So yes it's a cocoon with an integrated software package suite and was meant for use on aerial vehicles. Avalability, well I could have sworn that I put in NA as the avalability as the unit is supposed to be a prototype, not a production model, with only small number exsisting. My bad on that.  :( Pricewise, it seemed like a good idea at the time, based on what I saw as the cost for comperable stuff and hardware. But, being a prototype, there are always unforseen costs that tend to push projects over budget (glitches, sabotage, discovered incompatibility with various programs, "the damn things just not working", etc) that increase the final price on the production model. Maybe you should look at the cost as being the raw materials, not the end product: much like cars.

Now, if you want to use this and control ground vehicles from the air...I don't see why not but there are issues such as speed and range to consider. Want to put it in a ground vehicle...again, sure why not but I would say that that the software would have to be re-written to deal with the new operation parameters and you would be better off with standard stuff.

But then, someone may decide to change this later in the new rules. I have not heard one way or another if this will be used in any upcoming products. This is all just my personal two-cents.

Now, that being said, I personally would have no problem if a GM wants to take what I just said and throw it out the window if it suits their game or modify it as such. They do have final say in any game. Heck, in any of my games, I would make getting one a run in of itself and then the players may or may not like what they get. But then, I'm just an evil bastach that way (muahahaha).The Falconer is more of the beginning of a concept rather than a finished product. Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: <03-13-13/1046:48> by Mystic »