NEWS

Drum to Cylinder conversion?

• 19 Replies

valavaern

• Chummer
« on: <01-30-13/2216:20> »
Not sure whether this really belongs here, or in the rules section, but... what's the general opinion on being able to mod a drum-fed gun to use a cylinder.  I'm specifically thinking of shotguns and grenade launchers, so that they can take advantage of ammo skipping's full functionality.
~~~~~
"Only two things matter: Force in as great a concentration as you can manage, and style. And in a pinch, style can slide." - Xykon
~~~~~

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #1 on: <01-30-13/2232:44> »
I suppose you could use the mod for converting a gun to a drum magazine on the weapon but just change the drum for Cylinder. I can't seam to think of anything more clever than that...
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-30-13/2237:26> »
Yeah, it's basically gonna be the same level of physical change as the drum mod is - though you would become eligible for the Increase Cylinder mod.

That said, it seems to me that you may as well just go with the Additional Clip mod to add a second internal magazine, and the Ammo Skip System with one additional slot to represent being able to grab from any point in the mag.

In either case, I think you're looking at a change to Concealability (still something of a factor for shotguns), as well as either level 1 or level 2 Custom Look being applied - though likely without needing slots, as the benefit is coming from the appearance shift cause by the above mods.
« Last Edit: <01-30-13/2239:29> by RHat »
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #3 on: <01-30-13/2240:30> »
Are you proposing something like the Pancor Jackhammer?

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-30-13/2249:08> »
Are you proposing something like the Pancor Jackhammer?

Can't say that that's ringing any bells, actually.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #5 on: <01-30-13/2259:38> »
Oh okay, it was  Bullpup gas operated shotgun with two cylinders stacked inside the magazine, which could switch from one to the other, though I don't know how the action would work.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #6 on: <01-30-13/2301:16> »
The Pancor Jackhammer has probably appeared in more video games than actual models were made.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-30-13/2302:06> »
As in actual, rotating revolver cylinders?  Because I was proposing something a little more elegant.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #8 on: <01-30-13/2305:32> »
The Pancor Jackhammer has probably appeared in more video games than actual models were made.  ;D
If I remember correctly there were 6 Pancors made. Here's the design schematic for it, it would appear to be a gas operated bullpup autorevolver, how do you like that?

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <01-30-13/2307:55> »
I'm kind of amused that that exists.

Me, I was thinking parallel internal magazines, with the loading mechanism being able to grab a slug from anywhere in the magazine - every spot where it could rest has the mechanism for inserting it into the chamber.  This would probably involve building a little more stuff onto the weapon, hence the point about custom look.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #10 on: <01-30-13/2314:29> »
Would it work by having a really long bolt draw? And an open round in the forward cassette to push the ammo in the rear cassette through? Or, how would it work?

Reiper

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <01-30-13/2329:13> »
Yeah, it's basically gonna be the same level of physical change as the drum mod is - though you would become eligible for the Increase Cylinder mod.

That said, it seems to me that you may as well just go with the Additional Clip mod to add a second internal magazine, and the Ammo Skip System with one additional slot to represent being able to grab from any point in the mag.

In either case, I think you're looking at a change to Concealability (still something of a factor for shotguns), as well as either level 1 or level 2 Custom Look being applied - though likely without needing slots, as the benefit is coming from the appearance shift cause by the above mods.

In addition, its going to lose some weight, so recoil may become a bit more of a factor (or would it be less of a factor, I forget its late).
Talk
Thoughts
Astral
Matrix
"Hello, my name is Johnson, I would like to introduce you to my associates, Mr. Johnson, Mr. Johnson, and Mrs. Johnson."

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <01-30-13/2331:21> »
Would it work by having a really long bolt draw? And an open round in the forward cassette to push the ammo in the rear cassette through? Or, how would it work?

I'd have to sit down and start sketching to really think it through.  That, and I'm not THAT familiar with firearms design.  Depends a little bit on how the original magazine is in the weapon, however.  Basically, you shove the original magazine over, put the other one in beside and parallel to it (presumably on the opposite side of the chamber), take the mechanism by which the magazine loads the round into the chamber and expand it such that the magazine can eject any single slug into the loading mechanism which then brings it into the chamber.  This is, of course, a smartgun as the Ammo Skip System requires that.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #13 on: <01-30-13/2341:03> »
It just needs an underbarrel shotgun now, and an integrated comlink and melee hardening.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <01-30-13/2344:54> »
It just needs an underbarrel shotgun now, and an integrated comlink and melee hardening.

...  A shotgun with an underbarrel shotgun?  In any case, I figure it's already about 4 slots in, can't do all that much more to it - and still need recoil compensation.  Sling+Foregrip might be a good idea.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites