NEWS

[OOC] New Beginnings

• 1943 Replies

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #1680 on: <10-22-13/1424:47> »
So it makes me nervous to have just charged something and tried to hit it...

Those of us smart enough to not be doing that appreciate your sacrifice.  ;)
Colors: Speech Thoughts Matrix Astral

Like sci-fi/fantasy? Check out my wife's books!

irisheathen

• Omae
  • "There is enough time to sleep when you're dead."
« Reply #1681 on: <10-22-13/1509:37> »
No offense but I think Johnny would prefer appreciation in the form of a industrial fan currently... Or blind firing... that could suck a lot.

In my selfish little heart though I really would love it if Johnny can take out the attackers before the smoke clears and you all get a chance to fire. I mean how bad ass would that be?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
-H.L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Speech
Thoughts
Matrix Speech
Matrix <<Text>>

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1682 on: <10-22-13/1517:43> »
Okay, I thought we covered this the last time, if not my apologies, cuz I don't really feel like looking it up now.  One of the things about specializing and Martial Arts, that I guess you can call a house rule if you have to, is that certain types of attacks will not allow you to use all of your ability.  Charging is one of those things, the, admittedly minimal, knowledge I have in fighting arts says to me that nothing in TKD or Kung Fu is gear toward the headlong rush.  The good news is that you don't need to charge, so we can simply take those two dice off the end of roll and it not change you successes.  For future reference though, if you do have to charge you cannot use your specialization dice or Martial Arts Damage bonus when you do.

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #1683 on: <10-22-13/1530:15> »
Having studied TKD (green belt; my son's a high purple), I'd agree--almost everything we do is based around close-in fighting (either sparring or self defense). I think the general rule is "if you've got the room to charge, then you probably also have the room to run away." The closest I can think of to a charge would be a running jump-kick, which you don't get to do very often. :)

Of course, we have some attacks which will cover a lot of ground, but those are generally ways to punish someone who is either a) close in and trying to back up quickly, or b) trying to hang out just outside of leg's reach (unlike Olympic sparring, we do punch--but almost everyone's got better range and power with their kicks anyhow).

Can't say anything about kung fu, though.
Colors: Speech Thoughts Matrix Astral

Like sci-fi/fantasy? Check out my wife's books!

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1684 on: <10-22-13/1554:29> »
Having studied TKD (green belt; my son's a high purple), I'd agree--almost everything we do is based around close-in fighting (either sparring or self defense). I think the general rule is "if you've got the room to charge, then you probably also have the room to run away." The closest I can think of to a charge would be a running jump-kick, which you don't get to do very often. :)

Of course, we have some attacks which will cover a lot of ground, but those are generally ways to punish someone who is either a) close in and trying to back up quickly, or b) trying to hang out just outside of leg's reach (unlike Olympic sparring, we do punch--but almost everyone's got better range and power with their kicks anyhow).

Can't say anything about kung fu, though.

From the karate side, there are things like a flying snap kick which could very nicely punctuate a charge.  And while they're not really the same thing, karate and kung fu DO share common roots (though it does go pretty far back to get there).
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1685 on: <10-22-13/1555:44> »
Doesn't matter.  The guy got away and Johny got hammered.  :o
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

irisheathen

• Omae
« Reply #1686 on: <10-22-13/1643:58> »
Ok so first things first, the charging thing. I added it because I figured it could always be pulled off on the back end. I kinda envisioned it as nothing more then closing the distance to strike. "A character who runs and attacks an opponent in the same Action Phase is considered to be charging. The charging character must cover
at least 2 meters of ground to reach his opponent." That's all. So its cool if its a house rule no big.

Secondly ....Ouch. So luckily Johnny put on his armor before this went down.
Sorry trying to figure out what I have to roll.
It ends up only being stun damage though since the DV didn't exceed my AP value... right? Armor (13/13) + Body (5) for damage. (although Chummer is really confusing me by saying that my Damage resistance pool is 7...its also saying I have impact armor of 13 when I thought it should only be 11)

For the melee attack though I'm assuming I can defend. Which would be Unarmed (6)+Reaction (6) - wound penalties.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

Speech
Thoughts
Matrix Speech
Matrix <<Text>>

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1687 on: <10-22-13/1751:44> »
You might not have your armour checked off as equipped in Chummer (for example, you may have unchecked it for that whole period of time where you didn't have the armour).  Select the armour in the gear tab and you should see a checkbox labelled "equipped".
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1688 on: <10-22-13/1759:12> »
Looking at your armor totals as I see them they are 13/13, you probably forgot the Bone Lacing bump, and yes it is stun damage.  Thanks for asking about that, cuz I have not encountered that rule.

You do get your specialization dice for defense, they teach you how to block in martial arts I think.   ;) :)

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1689 on: <10-22-13/2054:23> »
That was their second pass, so Johnny can take his.

irisheathen

• Omae
« Reply #1690 on: <10-22-13/2339:19> »
So still a negative four to hit from smoke right? Add wound modifiers -2 and I'm at -6 to hit.  :-\ It doesn't help that these guys are good at dodging. Also I really still can't make out anything about these guys?

I guess I'm going to attack normally.

Out of curiosity if O'connor were to hear Johnny yell out "Con, your mother licks balls!" would he shoot at Johnny's voice in the smoke? ;)

Speech
Thoughts
Matrix Speech
Matrix <<Text>>

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1691 on: <10-22-13/2342:03> »
You don't happen to have gear that gives you thermal vision, do you?
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1692 on: <10-22-13/2350:00> »
Second pass, can the other characters act then?
Self thought
Speech
Matrix

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1693 on: <10-22-13/2350:46> »
So still a negative four to hit from smoke right? Add wound modifiers -2 and I'm at -6 to hit.  :-\ It doesn't help that these guys are good at dodging. Also I really still can't make out anything about these guys?

I guess I'm going to attack normally.

Out of curiosity if O'connor were to hear Johnny yell out "Con, your mother licks balls!" would he shoot at Johnny's voice in the smoke? ;)

The way suprise rules work,  he would not process the insult until he got a normal action, because that would be responding to someone with a better surprise roll

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1694 on: <10-22-13/2352:02> »
Second pass, can the other characters act then?

No that will be the second ROUND