NEWS

No one wants to be a hacker

• 33 Replies

Automaton

• Chummer
« on: <01-17-13/0538:09> »
I have a 6 player group, 1 played a hacker but quit playing it to switch to a streetsam, and basically no wants to play a hacker anymore.

This is a bit tough in a world that runs on the matrix which is everywhere.

So now they want a party npc as a hacker, or hire one when neccessary...

I have to say I cant blame them really. I think the only part of the 4e shadowrun system that just plane sucks is the hacking and matrix rules. The rest I love but the hacking bit...
Who came up with that totally unnecessarily over complicated system? I really really hope it will be streamlined and simplified in the 5th edition..

Anyway.. my complains aside, I'm not sure how to handle this situation. In a 6 player group, having to add an npc just because no one wants to play a hacker is a bit silly...
Should I just let them run without one? That will make things waaaay tougher then it has been so far..

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-17-13/0553:17> »
I have a 6 player group, 1 played a hacker but quit playing it to switch to a streetsam, and basically no wants to play a hacker anymore.

This is a bit tough in a world that runs on the matrix which is everywhere.

So now they want a party npc as a hacker, or hire one when neccessary...

I have to say I cant blame them really. I think the only part of the 4e shadowrun system that just plane sucks is the hacking and matrix rules. The rest I love but the hacking bit...
Who came up with that totally unnecessarily over complicated system? I really really hope it will be streamlined and simplified in the 5th edition..

Anyway.. my complains aside, I'm not sure how to handle this situation. In a 6 player group, having to add an npc just because no one wants to play a hacker is a bit silly...
Should I just let them run without one? That will make things waaaay tougher then it has been so far..

A team without Matrix support will be hired for jobs that don't require Matrix support.

Of course, those don't tend to be good jobs - that's stuff like runs into Chicago, where there isn't a Matrix to support from.  For a job not to need Matrix support, odds are the reason for that makes a lot of other things suck.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-17-13/0632:34> »
There are some areas in the world that have "Dead Zones" where there is no matrix activity. Perhaps you could send the group there. I don't recall the exact locations but you could put them in more remote places such as some of the lesser developed rain forests or some other less civilized areas. There could easily be reason for people with guns and knives to be there and you wouldn't need a hacker.

But I think it's best to have a hacker. When I GM I tend to keep the hacker's tasks moving at a fast pace and try to make the hacker feel good about what he's doing. I give some nice description of what he sees but I move it along the moment it feels too slow. If a player tends to have success and look cool as a hacker, they might like it more. Not to say there shouldn't be challenges, but there should be times where the hacker just rolls over the system and it's all done within a few minutes of game time.

As for the rules, yes, they're terrible. As a house rule, we let the hacker add his logic to his rolls but the thresholds a bit higher. When we don't know a rule, we just wing it because otherwise you'll be reaching for your book every 10 seconds. Once in a while there will be stiff security and when that time comes I like to be as prepared as possible to keep things moving fast so the players don't get restless. Even if you had a player that dabbled in hacking a little it could still be a huge asset. Anyway, hacking is a lot of fun when it's smooth and fast. Give the new hacker some valuable files to find, put some serious nuyen in his pocket and he'll be itching for the next opportunity. You could even have Mr.Johnson pull someone aside and request them to hack. He would even give a free high end commlink+programs for whatever role playing reason you wish. If it's free, maybe they'll bite.

Tired as hell, just some ideas :P
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-17-13/0646:57> »
having to add an npc just because no one wants to play a hacker is a bit silly...
Why?

Is it not possible to give them a rough estimate from the NPC on how long a given activity will take, then to throw complications and delays and requests for other team members to do things to help the hacker?

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-17-13/0659:47> »
having to add an npc just because no one wants to play a hacker is a bit silly...
Why?

Is it not possible to give them a rough estimate from the NPC on how long a given activity will take, then to throw complications and delays and requests for other team members to do things to help the hacker?

For one thing, it basically says "You don't have to worry about team composition; I'll just solve any problems that causes for you".  Players need to eat the consequences of their own decisions.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <01-17-13/0704:55> »
No it doesn't.

It says the GM will support player choice and convert issues from a system in which no player wants to take part, to one in which they do.

Automaton

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <01-17-13/0711:43> »
Both valid reasons really...

I mean I want to keep the game fun and flowing for everyone. If no one wants to play a hacker I'll just have to accept that. Forcing someone into the role is not the right way.

How about equipment? We play in Japan. They have robots, I could just load out a robot (drone with limited ai basically) with the tools and software to hack I gues.. They'd have a mobile hacking toolbox.
Or a rigger using that....

I mean I want the group to have fun and be able to take on all the missions I throw at hem, but I dont want to slow things down further for everyone by adding another character to the 6 men group, even if it is an npc.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-17-13/0754:11> »
No it doesn't.

It says the GM will support player choice and convert issues from a system in which no player wants to take part, to one in which they do.

Which is why you give them the jobs that a team of that structure would get,  Figure out missions where hacking isn't needed.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <01-17-13/0828:47> »
That's one solution. It's not the only available solution that fits those two points.

The drone option is a decent one. It doesn't need to be humanoid or human sized - the micro-tapper bug from Unwired is able to attach itself directly to fibreoptic cables, and makes a very mobile hacker after some upgrades.

emsquared

• Ace Runner
  • Super Perfundo
« Reply #9 on: <01-17-13/1106:09> »
Players need to eat the consequences of their own decisions.
It would be silly to punish them for not wanting to bog down the game, but I think you can have a little of both of the above elements. Let them contract out the Hacking, but have it cut into their profits. Not necessarily an equal player-share amount, but enough to cut out 10% of each of their share or something. And make it bigger than just some dude they phone in. Have him help them, but then he get's in trouble for it, and they either have to help him out or have their Rep burned. Make the NPC a part of the group, not only will it let them do the kind of Runs you want them to do (and that they probably want to do), but an NPC hacker - who you don't have to roll for - is a indispensable plot device. "Nope, sorry guys, can't open that door, you'll have to find another way in.", "Sorry, guys, they're on to me. You're on your own from here on out." Don't make it a 100% burden or a 100% boon, make it a dynamic part of the story.

Prodigy

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <01-17-13/1347:49> »
Agreed with emsquared, it is a great plot device. My group runs with an NPC technomancer (named Prodigy...) and I use her in much the same way emsquared just described. She is definitely seen as part of the group. Heck, the merc of the group should probably take the Dependent negative quality the way he practically bodyguards her during runs.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <01-17-13/1426:05> »
You could make her someone like /dev/grll.  :)

On a personal note I've played a couple of hackers already and I find the matrix not all that difficult.  Matrix combat for instance is just the same as regular combat, but with other skills.  But the system is actually exactly the same (attack roll vs. defence, see how much damage you do, roll for soak).  But that's probably a discussion for another tread.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

NinthSphere

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <01-17-13/1629:20> »
Why not have someone shell out for the pocket hacker?

Prodigy

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <01-17-13/2016:44> »
That pocket hacker is only good for low security systems. But not a bad idea if that is all you face. And my hackers rarely actually get into cybercombat. You get overwhelmed with black IC if you try the brute force approach in my experience. Just think from a company standpoint. I have this R&D lab that makes million dollar high tech widgets. I invest 50k on IC. That gets me at least two bad a$$ ICs. Even a good hacker just tries to slip by. Better than getting your brain fried.

Again, that's in my experience, both as a GM and as a player.

Malathis

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <01-18-13/1033:00> »
If you go with an NPC hacker you could make it an NPC AI that has taken up residence in one of the teams comlinks. With it being an AI it leaves your options open as to what it would want for compensation for individual runs. Maybe the AI just likes a certain player or the group as a whole and just tries to help them (group edge bought with karma?).