NEWS

technomancer conspiracy

• 63 Replies

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #30 on: <02-02-13/0552:54> »
I'm just talking computing protocol, like it was said earlier, there aren't enough of them to be omnipresent. So maybe a technomancer conspiracy isn't too far off, or something involving other Matrix entities like AI or E Ghosts. I mean, GOD is supposed to be run by the corporate court as a whole, so what is it that a hand full of spiders can do or watch out for that is important enough to have all the corps in on it together?
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #31 on: <02-02-13/0616:24> »
If there's going to be a bunch of technomancers doing something seriously bad, bet on it being the dissonant - and they wouldn't go for the kind of conspiracy you're probably thinking.  It is possible, too, that something might demand an Emerged response, and the good technomancers aren't likely to be corporate after Emergence and other events.  If dissonants and entropic sprites took over the Consensus somehow, for example (actually, there's a few characters in Twilight Horizon I'm fairly certain are dissonant...).  Kind of like how it fell to the otaku to take on Deus in the end.

And computing protocol would be a different thing entirely - that's more the design of how it works, and that could be entirely rewritten with a new Matrix - explaining why mundanes need to replace all their software.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #32 on: <02-02-13/0623:22> »
You lost me at "For Example". The only "Technomancer Conspiracy" I've known of was what happened in Geneva and that's just because I just read it. And I think Replace all their ware is a bit of a stretch, patch is more likely.

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #33 on: <02-03-13/0051:32> »
You lost me at "For Example". The only "Technomancer Conspiracy" I've known of was what happened in Geneva and that's just because I just read it. And I think Replace all their ware is a bit of a stretch, patch is more likely.

From what is being implied, hackers will need all new Hardware and software to be able to "Hack" the new matrix. I'm sure the old hardware/software will allow all the Norms to still use the matrix but if you wanna crack it all new tools will have to be used.
Commlinks will still be around, I'm sure, but if we all want to do illegal stuff we have to have newer better gear.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <02-03-13/0055:37> »

From what is being implied, hackers will need all new Hardware and software to be able to "Hack" the new matrix. I'm sure the old hardware/software will allow all the Norms to still use the matrix but if you wanna crack it all new tools will have to be used.
Commlinks will still be around, I'm sure, but if we all want to do illegal stuff we have to have newer better gear.

You really don't expect the corps to take the opportunity to buy new stuff?  Besides, anything that invalidates the hacking programs invalidates everything relying on the same stuff.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
« Reply #35 on: <02-03-13/0103:16> »
Oh I'm sure that the corp's will use this to Sell new stuff. But they won't be able to roll this out and just cut off the Trix from everyone. There will have to be a Transition period where the old stuff will at least interface with the new. The selling point will be the old will get you on the Trix but you need the new to take full advantage of everything the Trix has to offer. In that way will the corps monetize their new baby and still keep all the customers they have.
It'll be something like reduced bandwidth, or resoultion, or the new apps and programs only run on the new hardware. You can keep your old stuff but you will be behind the SOTA if you do. And no one wants that.  ;)
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #36 on: <02-03-13/0105:34> »
Oh I'm sure that the corp's will use this to Sell new stuff. But they won't be able to roll this out and just cut off the Trix from everyone. There will have to be a Transition period where the old stuff will at least interface with the new. The selling point will be the old will get you on the Trix but you need the new to take full advantage of everything the Trix has to offer. In that way will the corps monetize their new baby and still keep all the customers they have.
It'll be something like reduced bandwidth, or resoultion, or the new apps and programs only run on the new hardware. You can keep your old stuff but you will be behind the SOTA if you do. And no one wants that.  ;)

...  Well, I must be more tired than I thought.  That was supposed to read "make everyone buy new stuff".  Indications are that the new Matrix works differently, using different protocols altogether - which would render all programs non-functional, since they're build to work with the existing protocols.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #37 on: <02-03-13/0126:09> »
I'm sorry, are you all implying they're going to redo the entire matrix infrastructure of the world? I don't think any of the corps or going to dish out several trillion nuyen just to make everyone renew their ware, let alone all of them.

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
« Reply #38 on: <02-03-13/0127:03> »
I figured that was what you meant to say.

But even tho the new Trix functions so radically differently, or so we have inferred, logistically the corps won't be able to switch everyone over to the new tech right off the bat. So it will have to be a staggered intro and for some time in the beginning there will have to be some kind of bridge between the two systems. I'm sure there will be a Time limit to how long the corps will let that bridge stand before that just say now such and such date the old tech will no longer be supported. Then they will just let people join or fall off as they will.
Much like micro$oft and win 8 and them dumping any support to XP. People can get the new stuff or stay with their old system, but if they stay with the old they will no longer get support for it and they will be in danger and less and less programs will work on your OS.
Eventually everyone will convert. But the lower stratums of society will take longer with their lack of funds.

Now the corps abosolutly will not want to miss out on all the money comeing in from all those people that don't convert right off so they will have some type of reduced functionality Trix for Old tech'ers. But you just won't be able to have powerful enough OS's and programs to break down and hack the new paradigm.
To do the illegal stuff you have to have the new.

I'm sorry, are you all implying they're going to redo the entire matrix infrastructure of the world? I don't think any of the corps or going to dish out several trillion nuyen just to make everyone renew their ware, let alone all of them.

Yes.
Yes they are. Again.this will be the 4th time they have done it.
« Last Edit: <02-03-13/0128:48> by DarkLloyd »

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #39 on: <02-03-13/0202:30> »
Third.  Internet to Matrix (due to the first Crash), Matrix to Wireless (due to Crash 2.0), Wireless to ... whatever.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <02-03-13/0205:35> »

They do it with incredible frequency.

That's not going to be their only purpose, though.  And it's going to be less about the hardware (in networking terms, that would be called the physical layer, and you can build a nigh-infinite number of protocols with the same physical layer) so much as the software protocols.  For example, your internet browser is set up to use a number of protocols, such as the Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) and the File Transfer Protocol (FTP).  It's built for the requirements of these protocols, along with the underlying networking protocols that these are built to work with.  If, tomorrow, the networking protocols were to change and the content protocols were to change, your current internet browser would be useless to you, even though nothing has changed in the hardware.

And yes, I know, I'm terrible for linking to TVTropes.  I apologize for everyone's insomnia.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
« Reply #41 on: <02-03-13/0216:38> »
Third.  Internet to Matrix (due to the first Crash), Matrix to Wireless (due to Crash 2.0), Wireless to ... whatever.

It's late and my brain  was thinking that some of the matrix was there before the crash, ergo the "first" iteration. But I guess you could just classify all of the internet's hardware as the first also.

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #42 on: <02-03-13/0314:05> »
Right, what you're saying RHat is everyone would have to software upgrade, or patch, or crack or spaghetti or framework heir way to functionality. Not, we're taking out all the old junction boxes, tearing up the roads across the world and laying down new fiber optics and recycling all the computers on the planet, that would replacing the infrastructure.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #43 on: <02-03-13/0358:46> »
Right, what you're saying RHat is everyone would have to software upgrade, or patch, or crack or spaghetti or framework heir way to functionality. Not, we're taking out all the old junction boxes, tearing up the roads across the world and laying down new fiber optics and recycling all the computers on the planet, that would replacing the infrastructure.

Much like how a lot of the wired infrastructure survived Crash 2.0.  However, upgrades or patches wouldn't do it at that point - it would be past the point of needing new software, because the code in the programs you have is no longer relevant - pieces could be recycled (programmers do this a lot - we're lazy bunch), but all your core functionality would need to be entirely recoded.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #44 on: <02-03-13/0420:45> »
So are the corps just releasing new OSs for everything, servers included? And there will be no backwards compatibility, or intentionally limited. How do you coordinate all the corps to make that decision? Especially since not all of the corps are major players in computing, that seems like something only a few of the corps would benefit from and wouldn't get the other corps to cooperate with.