NEWS

technomancer conspiracy

• 63 Replies

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #15 on: <01-29-13/1805:40> »
You could never hack from home.  Throwaway spots or satellite remote have always been the way to go.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <01-29-13/1856:23> »
Wait, does this mean I can't hack from home anymore?

That was always a terrible plan.  Traces return a location, and if you hack from home then jurisdictional issues do not protect you - if nothing else, there's deniable assets.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #17 on: <01-29-13/1916:56> »
Wait, does this mean I can't hack from home anymore?
Unless you were going through eight different satellites, or your home happens to be mobile (RV, Houseboat, whatever), hacking from home has always been a bad idea, for the reasons others have mentioned.

That said, it means that probing first, getting admin privileges so you can turn off alarms or deactivate accounts, and just plain not getting caught are even more important now. You can't rely on jurisdictional issues to slow pursuit when hacking on the fly.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #18 on: <02-01-13/1929:29> »
I probably didn't rely on jurisdictional issues because I was always too careful to be caught in the first place. At any rate this won't really change anything, at least for me.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <02-01-13/1931:38> »
I probably didn't rely on jurisdictional issues because I was always too careful to be caught in the first place. At any rate this won't really change anything, at least for me.

From some of your posts, I get the impression that you're playing a less risky game overall.  A lot of the time getting traced eventually is an inevitability - so you hack away from home so that the trace doesn't go anywhere tied to you.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #20 on: <02-01-13/1949:08> »
I don't really ever take risks when it comes to my runs, and I haven't yet had a GM that dedicates the time to the matrix like I do. It's more an issue of not being given the challenge in the first place, even if I try and prep myself at every turn for it. As I general rule I try and cover all my angles, GOD is just another angle to worry about and another reason not to get sloppy. On a related note, are they actually stated out anywhere, or are there any stats on the grid overwatch guys?

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <02-01-13/1956:15> »
I don't really ever take risks when it comes to my runs, and I haven't yet had a GM that dedicates the time to the matrix like I do. It's more an issue of not being given the challenge in the first place, even if I try and prep myself at every turn for it. As I general rule I try and cover all my angles, GOD is just another angle to worry about and another reason not to get sloppy. On a related note, are they actually stated out anywhere, or are there any stats on the grid overwatch guys?

In most games, a run is risky to begin with - whether you actively take risks or not.  It's not simply a matter of not being sloppy; you'd have to be perfect at all times, with the dice always coming up in your favour.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #22 on: <02-02-13/0201:28> »
That or, folding ahead of time, and restarting the hack if things don't seem to be going my way. Of course a run is risky, but you'd be stupid to not utilize every opportunity at your disposal to reduce that risk.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <02-02-13/0210:38> »
That or, folding ahead of time, and restarting the hack if things don't seem to be going my way. Of course a run is risky, but you'd be stupid to not utilize every opportunity at your disposal to reduce that risk.

Most of the time, you can't tell until it's too late.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #24 on: <02-02-13/0300:26> »
Paranoia helps, whether the alert is imagined or not, has kept me safe so far.

But back on topic, what does Geneva and GOD have to do with eachother, or where's the connection. When did GOD step in to make, what would appear to be, technomancer resistant compartmentalization of the matrix, and wasn't the matrix already broken up to begin with? I mean, aren't all the nodes the same as how modern computing works?

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <02-02-13/0407:24> »
Paranoia helps, whether the alert is imagined or not, has kept me safe so far.

But back on topic, what does Geneva and GOD have to do with eachother, or where's the connection. When did GOD step in to make, what would appear to be, technomancer resistant compartmentalization of the matrix, and wasn't the matrix already broken up to begin with? I mean, aren't all the nodes the same as how modern computing works?

Like I say, I think you guys are playing a somewhat lower risk game than many others are - which is fine, if that's how you have your fun.

As for the new Matrix: It's not technomancer resistant - in the hidden fictions, Netcat gets onto it and it only takes her a minute to adapt.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #26 on: <02-02-13/0502:39> »
Okay seriously, if I could have a more involved campaign with plotted out matrix encounters and everything I would, I don't enjoy just winning because the GM doesn't have the patience for learning all the matrix rules. But you can get off that.

When did god step into the whole Geneva scene? And how is computing between nodes different now?

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <02-02-13/0524:32> »
Okay seriously, if I could have a more involved campaign with plotted out matrix encounters and everything I would, I don't enjoy just winning because the GM doesn't have the patience for learning all the matrix rules. But you can get off that.

When did god step into the whole Geneva scene? And how is computing between nodes different now?

Yeah, I was mostly just trying to make my point clear.

Not sure about the Geneva situation.  As far as the new Matrix goes, we thus far know very little - they're changing the actual structure of how it's all setup, adding patrols by GOD spiders to the Matrix overall, creating a unified and very fast response...  Might be a lot more we just don't know about yet.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #28 on: <02-02-13/0535:30> »
With the exception of sniffers, and wireless traffic interception (Or wired if you're just cruising the 'Trix). I'm not really sure how you can "Patrol the Matrix" any more than having physical presence intercepting traffic. In Unwired they talk about how pirated software sights are shut down so fast that the only way to get hacked ware is to find a secret underground warez node and BUY whatever you're looking for just to keep them afloat. So, on that not it would seam there is already an invasive presence, but what exactly are a bunch of spiders sitting up in space going to do on a whole?

I wonder, are they trying to root out dissonant technomancers or something?

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <02-02-13/0547:10> »
With the exception of sniffers, and wireless traffic interception (Or wired if you're just cruising the 'Trix). I'm not really sure how you can "Patrol the Matrix" any more than having physical presence intercepting traffic. In Unwired they talk about how pirated software sights are shut down so fast that the only way to get hacked ware is to find a secret underground warez node and BUY whatever you're looking for just to keep them afloat. So, on that not it would seam there is already an invasive presence, but what exactly are a bunch of spiders sitting up in space going to do on a whole?

It's not about the software, it's about the actions people are taking.  But like I said, we don't know much yet - you're asking for answers that just haven't been revealed yet.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites