NEWS

The "Undetectable" Gun... or how to sneak a gun on a Balistic flight...

• 143 Replies

DamienHollow

« on: <01-05-13/0145:48> »
Okay, so this isn't entirely undetectable. But i turned this out for a 14 year old street-sammy and want to see if it checks out.

Ballistic flights are one of the hardest places to get a weapon. Jet Set describes security in and around such flights, Chemical sniffers, MAD sensors, Cyberware scans, and pat downs are all included. You even have to surrender your Com-link. Any implants considered too dangerous are either shut off by a hacker or you undergo voluntarily sedation. Only you, the cloths on your back, and a small personal effects bag may be taken on such flights. These flights have also proven to be one of the runners most vulnerable situations with at least one rather messy encounter defined in Jet Set. Here is how i propose to get a gun on such a flight... more for fun than anything else.

Take three ranks of restricted gear  :o...
Buy the PSK-3 collapsing heavy handgun...
Buy the PSK-3 silencer (same availability as the handgun)...
buy Ceramic/Plasteel Components 3...
Buy 10 rounds of Hi-c Plastic Ammunition...
Load eight into the PSK-3 magazine, shrug and throw the other two rounds into the air...
Place the magazine in a hermetically sealed box...
Throw some points into Disguise...
Walk through security...
Laugh when you open your complementary peanuts and find the other two rounds.

Chemical sniffers 4 roll 4, and need 2 hits to detect an explosive. Having only eight rounds on you means the sniffer doesn't get the extra die for having 10 rounds of ammo. The Hermetically sealed box puts the sniffer at a 1 die penalty as does being made from plastic. This means he needs 3 hits on 3 dice to detect the ammunition (about a 1 in 27 chance.) If you apply the disguise skill to the folded pistol I'm assuming you could pass it off as all kinds of things even if they did find it. You're more concerned with them finding the ammo than the weapon, and I'm still looking for some way to reduce those chances.

For those of you who do not know, the Jet Set encounter involves someone else attempting an assassination on board. The party is completely unaware of what's going on until he springs into action unless they make some good rolls.
« Last Edit: <01-08-13/1913:53> by DamienHollow »

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-05-13/0151:19> »
Or just buy an HK Urban Fighter and a concealable holster. Much cheaper.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

DamienHollow

« Reply #2 on: <01-05-13/0156:03> »
Would't an SMG be hard to get through security? i know the stats on the weapon but the shear size would prove problematic.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-05-13/0201:21> »
Would't an SMG be hard to get through security? i know the stats on the weapon but the shear size would prove problematic.

The HK Urban Fighter is a heavy pistol.

DamienHollow

« Reply #4 on: <01-05-13/0204:27> »
Nope, checked Arsenal, it's on pg. 25 as a SMG.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <01-05-13/0215:13> »
Nope, checked Arsenal, it's on pg. 25 as a SMG.

That's the HK Urban Combat.

The HK Urban Fighter is on page 22 (for description, the chart is page 23) and is a heavy pistol.

DamienHollow

« Reply #6 on: <01-05-13/0219:28> »
... and it promptly makes all ammunition save for Regular Ammunition 13+ availability. The magazine is also ten rounds granting a +1 to the chem sniffer negating the advantage of the hermetically sealed magazines... Nice alternative though if you're going on the cheep. Most situations this would work under but I'm looking for something that can go anywhere. Also the H&K cannot be further modified, the PSK can accept mods, just not accessories.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-05-13/0223:23> »
Regular ammo starts at 2R, so it goes to 10R for the Urban Fighter magazines clips. It also gives a reason to use Gel Rounds. SnS goes to 13R whereas Gel goes to 12R.

DamienHollow

« Reply #8 on: <01-05-13/0253:40> »
Hu... There's an error on this then... because both rule books agree with you on the availability but the builder says it's 4R... I'll have to see about correcting that. As for the gel rounds, gel rounds are never declared to have non-metallic casings. The real world equivalent, Simunitions, do. this makes you susceptible to MAD. And Hi-c aren't less lethal.
« Last Edit: <01-05-13/0300:56> by DamienHollow »

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <01-05-13/0258:31> »
Hu... There's an error on this then... because both rule books agree with you on the availability but the builder says it's 4R... I'll have to see about correcting that. As for the gel rounds, gel rounds are never declared to have non-metallic casings. The real world equivalent, Si munitions, do. this makes you susceptible to MAD.

Like all ammo, the extra cost and availability is for special rounds and magazines for the weapon, so it wouldn't. (And even at 4R the availability would only go to 12R which is still within the normal limit).

DamienHollow

« Reply #10 on: <01-05-13/0305:46> »
... and it promptly makes all ammunition SAVE FOR Regular Ammunition 13+ availability.
And like i said, my availabilities for ammunition is off on this thing, i concede that point. But it does say that you can only by the ammunition in special prepackage sealed magazines doubling the price and adding +8 to the availability. Seeing as how you can't under load these magazines, we're still giving the Chem-sniffer a +1 to negate the Hermetic Seal penalty. We also still haven't solved the MAD scanner issue.If you reload the empty magazines you loose the hermetic seal, then again there is the box idea. Again, it's a great idea that works in most situations. But I'm looking to minimize the signature in every way possible, including direct visual assessment. But keep going, this is fun  :D
« Last Edit: <01-05-13/0311:48> by DamienHollow »

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <01-05-13/0313:53> »
... and it promptly makes all ammunition SAVE FOR Regular Ammunition 13+ availability.
And like i said, my availabilities for ammunition is off on this thing, i concede that point. Seeing as how you can't under load these magazines, we're still giving the Chem-sniffer a +1 to negate the Hermetic Seal penalty. We also still haven't solved the MAD scanner issue. Again, it's a great idea that works in most situations. But I'm looking to minimize the signature in every way possible, including direct visual assessment. But keep going, this is fun  :D

With the MAD scanner, the description does say "It also consists entirely of nonmetallic components and cannot be detected by MAD scanners.", so no matter what ammo you buy, that is still the case so long as you buy the special magazines. With a concealed holster, there's a good chance that they're not finding it without a physical contact pat down (especially if you're wearing a Lined Coat).

The Chem-sniffer, well a +1 isn't that much considering the threshold of 3. On average with the +1 it would need to be a Rating 8 Chem-sniffer to reliably manage to detect the weapon. What the heck are you doing that you'd be regularly running into Rating 8 scanners?

DamienHollow

« Reply #12 on: <01-05-13/0323:43> »
Chem-sniffers (and this is from the book not the builder) have a threshold of 2 and throws 3 dice. If he throws 2 the odds are about 11%, if he throws 3 then the odds are 26%, if he rolls four its about 41%. I'm not seeing any mention of ratings for chem sniffers any where in core, But feel free to point out the page. So you're either giving a +1 to the sniffer, or reloading empty magazines with eight rounds of Hi-c Ammunition, as the ammunition would be of normal value and availability not a bad option.
« Last Edit: <01-05-13/0325:18> by DamienHollow »

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <01-05-13/0331:46> »
The magazines for the HK Urban Fighter are hermetically sealed. That increases the threshold to 3 (see the parentheses next to where it says threshold 2). Remember, on average you need 3 dice to equate to a single hit--this is how I got the Rating 8 scanner to reliably detect the magazines since it rolls rating and the +1.

DamienHollow

« Reply #14 on: <01-05-13/0342:12> »
The table says "dice pool modifier", not "threshold modifier".