NEWS

Natural Weapons

• 7 Replies

wildeyes

• Newb
« on: <11-12-12/2012:36> »
Hi, I'm a new GM for Shadowrun, about to have my player's finalize their characters next week. I was just looking at running wild and realized that the natural weapon power doesn't seem to be quite consistent. The natural weapon power states that it has the straight damage value described by the power, with no regard for strength. My problem is that some of the creatures have natural weapons that deal less damage than half their strength. So, how is it supposed to be calculated? Is it half strength +DV of natural weapon, or just the natural weapon's straight damage value?

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #1 on: <11-13-12/1657:51> »
You should really ask these kind (I mean, "the Rules" kind) of questions on the "Rules and such" board.

In any case, you don't add the damage of the natural weapon to half strength. Natural weapons do their DV worth of damage.
One very important detail: the 'half strength attacks' do Stun damage, not Physical.

I have to say that I didn't find creatures where their natural weapon is lower than half their strength. Which creature(s) are you talking about? Maybe their natural weapons have reach or armor piercing or something else to make it better?

Edit:
Wait, looked again.

Hunter Seekers have 3 Str and only 1P damage. *shrug* They're early models, maybe a glitch in how they're made? Or just give them 1 more damage, maybe the writer rounded down instead of up by mistake.

The Gorgon has 20Str and 8P NatWeap damage, but it does -2AP and +2 reach. Oh, minor detail: also venomous, paralyzing and petrifying!

Hydra is 30Str and "only" 10P -2AP. But again, stun vs physical damage, not to forget an IMMENSE +4 reach and seven to nine attacks per action!!!

Sea Serpent: armor piercing, venomous and possibly reach.

So, in all but the Hunterseeker's case, I'm sure your players will gladly have those monsters do (Str/2)S damage instead of using their horrible, horrible natural weapons.
« Last Edit: <11-13-12/1718:36> by Xzylvador »

wildeyes

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <11-13-12/1754:04> »
Thanks for the response, and sorry about posting in the wrong place, obviously, I'm new around here.
I see your point about some of the weapons having lower damage values due to having other qualities which make them more lethal than even 15s, as in the Hydra's case. I think I will follow your advice and beef up natural weapon damage to 1/2 strength in cases where it seems to be an oversight, and keep the extra lethal ones like the Hydra and Gorgon the same. Thanks again for the response and I look forward to posting more in the future once I have my game off the ground.

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-13-12/1820:51> »
Anytime! Welcome to the boards :)

Unahim

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <11-14-12/0635:51> »
Hunter Seekers have 3 Str and only 1P damage. *shrug* They're early models, maybe a glitch in how they're made? Or just give them 1 more damage, maybe the writer rounded down instead of up by mistake.

But isn't everything always rounded down? So 3str/2 would be 1 damage.

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <11-14-12/0751:30> »
AFB, but I thought (at least melee) damage was rounded up; otherwide 1 str characters would do 0 damage...

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #6 on: <11-14-12/0805:04> »
You round up in most cases, but down for things like Drain/Fading.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Unahim

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <11-14-12/0810:12> »
Ah, alright, good to know.