NEWS

Would you happen to know...

• 38 Replies

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <10-19-12/1921:25> »
Yeah, there're options for the wealthy to get stuff like that without too much issue. Vertical farms, for instance, are en vogue, and every Arcology includes food production capabilities. Now, Bob Shadowrunner and the rest of the ouliers? Not so much.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <10-19-12/2021:17> »
Vat-grown beef has been around since at least 2050 according to Never Trust an Elf.

Pyromaster13

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <10-20-12/0532:42> »
Vat-grown beef has been around since at least 2050 according to Never Trust an Elf.

Which brings me back to the high value of an everyday normal cow. Today they currently go up to 3-4k USD alone.  Give it some 70 years of inflation and a steadily decreasing supply...

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <10-20-12/1439:27> »
I thought Real chocolate was as rare as real honey in SR?
Depends on the author.

Running Wild, page 8, specifically mentions cocoa tree as virtually extinct, only grown in scattered pockets in Africa and Venezuela, and under attack from fungal infection that kill 90% of the crop, making chocolate "as lauded an item as caviar." It also lists honey bees as extinct on page 7.

But a world without chocolate would be way too grimdark for me to enjoy playing Shadowrun anymore.

Twitchy D

• Omae
  • Paranoia is a survival trait.
« Reply #19 on: <10-20-12/1534:57> »
Depends on the author.

Running Wild, page 8, specifically mentions cocoa tree as virtually extinct, only grown in scattered pockets in Africa and Venezuela, and under attack from fungal infection that kill 90% of the crop, making chocolate "as lauded an item as caviar." It also lists honey bees as extinct on page 7.

But a world without chocolate would be way too grimdark for me to enjoy playing Shadowrun anymore.

That's so depressingly GrimDark that I think even Warhammer 40k players would hesitate pulling that card.

Fortunately, honey is still in supply! The catch? Chicago's got the market cornered, so...

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <10-20-12/1615:59> »
That would be terrible.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <10-20-12/1901:23> »
Allergic to chocolate here, so no great loss, but honey? Dude, you can't kill off the bees.

Who was the IC author of that bit? Danchekker?

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #22 on: <10-20-12/2029:05> »
Depends on the author.

Fortunately, Parabotany (p43) says that they've got some hybrid / gengineered replacements (by the name of "cacahuatl", if I'm reading it correctly) that produce pretty much the same "flavanols" as real chocolate.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <10-20-12/2109:53> »
I blame Winternight.

Bastards.

GhostWriter

• Newb
« Reply #24 on: <10-21-12/0030:49> »
Grim cyberpunk indeed.

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <10-21-12/0223:14> »
...what the street value for a crate of bananas, a crate of real chocolates, and a medi-kit full of condoms would be?

What the heck was the run against? Some kind of weird San Francisco sex show?  :o

Pyromaster13

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <10-21-12/0257:52> »
...what the street value for a crate of bananas, a crate of real chocolates, and a medi-kit full of condoms would be?

What the heck was the run against? Some kind of weird San Francisco sex show?  :o

Maybe the driver thought he'd get a pack of "who am I kidding"-condoms while on his delivery route.

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #27 on: <10-21-12/1449:40> »
nah, it was a chocoholic about to teach a sex ed class
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

GhostWriter

• Newb
« Reply #28 on: <10-22-12/1927:14> »

Maybe the driver thought he'd get a pack of "who am I kidding"-condoms while on his delivery route.

Actually it to pick up a frozen girl and drop her off. They "acquired" a few items along the way.

Twitchy D

• Omae
  • Paranoia is a survival trait.
« Reply #29 on: <10-22-12/1947:51> »

Actually it to pick up a frozen girl and drop her off. They "acquired" a few items along the way.

...???

...:o

That explanation is actually even worse then just the bananas/chocolates/condoms explanation. Now, to keep me from thinking disturbing things that I would rather not like to think about, could you please tell us the rest of the mission...