What to wear when it's hot out?

• 41 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #15 on: <09-19-12/1325:36> »
Horizon Fashion Police: LA

Protecting the Rich and Fashionable from the Tacky and Tasteless with Scorn and Subtle Mockery!
This is Shadowrun, you forgot:  "And high-velocity rounds."  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Twitchy D

• Omae
  • Paranoia is a survival trait.
« Reply #16 on: <09-19-12/1334:24> »

If Queer Eye was introduced during 2072's LA, you can goshdarn bet that it'll get better ratings then the plain old nonarmed version!
« Last Edit: <09-19-12/1339:15> by Twitchy D »

Ethan

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <09-19-12/1450:57> »
Hafta admit, I usually ignore the WAR! stuff.

You know...it would be cool if they had armoured versions of things like the traditional bedoin garb for characters going to the desert, or armoured versions of the traditional clothes from India for hot and humid, or armoured versions of traditional clothes from people who lived in climates like that for centuries and developed their own clothing to deal with the climate.

That's true as well. I suppose we could modify existing armoured clothes for that. Or perhaps concealed bits, but still, that stuff would be nice to see.

My character isn't set yet, was thinking about a Fomori... can you imagine one in beach shorts?

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #18 on: <09-19-12/1502:08> »
You know...it would be cool if they had armoured versions of things like the traditional bedoin garb for characters going to the desert, or armoured versions of the traditional clothes from India for hot and humid, or armoured versions of traditional clothes from people who lived in climates like that for centuries and developed their own clothing to deal with the climate.
What makes you think they don't?  Seriously, "armor clothing" can cover a whole lot of stuff.  You don't need to see Zoe release an "Arabian Nights" line of custom-tailored high-fashion armored stuff, do you?  Why not just say "yes, it looks like that, and also provides 4/0 armor" and call it a day?

The Dark Warden

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <09-19-12/1556:42> »

If Queer Eye was introduced during 2072's LA, you can goshdarn bet that it'll get better ratings then the plain old nonarmed version!

Anyone else thinking this could make a run setup for some high profile runners... Assasinate perpetrators of crimes against fashion whilst wearing trideo cams/simsense recorders...

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #20 on: <09-19-12/1604:28> »
Heavy Weapons Troll demonstrated that the style in the desert is shorts, combat boots, and a shoulder rig for an SMG and spare clips.  No shirt.  (It's nighttime that we're usually traveling, so no worries of sunburn.).

"I bring gun show." got me an extra Karma.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #21 on: <09-19-12/1851:19> »
Orthoskin with Smart Insulation is never a bad idea... and possibly dragon skin, if you're going to be out in the sun~

Also, I'm suprised noone's brought up the Desert Suit from Arsenal p. 53.
...or the HEL Suit for that matter!  good in heat AND cold, radiation shielding, water resistant, 4/6 armor, vacuum rated for 5 minutes... and plenty of pockets!  What's not to love?  p. 54 in Arsenal for that, by the way~
~~~~~
"Only two things matter: Force in as great a concentration as you can manage, and style. And in a pinch, style can slide." - Xykon
~~~~~

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <09-20-12/0210:48> »
What makes you think they don't?  Seriously, "armor clothing" can cover a whole lot of stuff.  You don't need to see Zoe release an "Arabian Nights" line of custom-tailored high-fashion armored stuff, do you?  Why not just say "yes, it looks like that, and also provides 4/0 armor" and call it a day?

Actually, at least for clothes for the desert, it would need rules for mitigating the effects of the desert.  Also, for things like, say, an armoured Sari, you would need different stats, as it would not be made out of standard ballistic cloth.

DoubleTap

• Newb
« Reply #23 on: <09-20-12/1110:10> »
having spent alot of time in the desert.  anything loose fitting is best, with some room for the clothes to breath,  FFBA would be out of the question.  Depending on the body armor in question, ceramic plate vest, sucks, and if its 120 out side, expect it to be about 140 under the armor.  Now SR concealed vest might work with out to much build up of heat.  So some lose fitting pants,  a tee shirt, or the locale garb would be good. 
always Double Tap.
I'm a engineer if I cant fix it I can damn sure break it. (SSG Brown 12B osut instructor)

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <12-03-12/2005:43> »
I could see form-fitting being okay for desert wear. It's mostly semi-rigid sections with non-ballistic fabric in between, right? Easy enough to use a breathable mesh fabric like modern BMX armor.

Sure it would get sweaty, and maybe a little smelly where the armored sections are, but I doubt it would be unbearable.

An armored long coat could actually work pretty well too, given the technology advancements in the fields of compact power supplies.  I could see a desert version that has a miniaturized cooling unit pumping cold liquid through a mesh of tubes in the lining of the yoke and collar.  It would be easy enough to have a collar designed to act as a heat sink, maybe even flexible solar panels on the shoulders and back if you want to be really self-sufficient. 

Frankly, we have the tech to do this today, Disney has systems like this in the mascot costumes at their parks. it just takes too much power to be efficient in a jacket with current battery technology.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #25 on: <12-03-12/2032:04> »
Frankly, we have the tech to do this today, Disney has systems like this in the mascot costumes at their parks. it just takes too much power to be efficient in a jacket with current battery technology.

Given that Shadowrun has batteries capable of making Pulse Laser weapons a reality... yeah, I think they've got that licked.

I'd say "cool idea" but I'm afraid someone would throw something at me.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

FuelDrop

• Omae
  • Popping stims, it's time to go to work.
« Reply #26 on: <12-03-12/2059:44> »
*Throws a handful of dice at JustADude*
"When in doubt, C4" - Mythbusters. As true in 2070 as when it was first spoken.

"You're wearing WHAT?" - Group reaction when our street sam walked into a meet wearing light military armour.

Kat9

« Reply #27 on: <12-03-12/2154:05> »
*Throws a handful of dice at JustADude*

*winds up the OED then sighs* Oh well, next time Gadget, next time.

Twitchy D

• Omae
  • Paranoia is a survival trait.
« Reply #28 on: <12-04-12/1017:41> »
Hey, who been messing around with thread necromancy again?! >:(

Jeez, I can see one of my Newb level comments in this thread... Like going through my yearbooks...

On topic, I'd go with a set of Globetrotter light armor fatigues, with a Smart Canteen or two. A good set of PPP shin or ankle-guards might help with venomous snakes. A good hat, with some sort of armor in it's lining, would be a must, along with shades. Aviator shades, of cource. :D

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #29 on: <12-04-12/1052:59> »
forgive me for stating the obvious, but how about this from arsenal?

Desert Suit: An advanced version of a diving wetsuit, the
sandwiched layers of this suit help to cool the body through heat
dissipation while the refl ective outer surface protects from the sun’s
heat. A hood, facemask, and skin-tight seal keep the
wearer protected from sand. Th e polarizing eye
shield neutralizes glare modifi ers. Th e suit even
captures and distills some of the wearer’s body
fl uids, holding the water in pockets to be drunk
with a straw. Desert Suits cannot be worn with
armor or anything but loose, non-restrictive
clothing, as it impedes the suit’s heat
sinks from working properly. A character