NEWS

Modular limb question

• 6 Replies

Xith

• Newb
« on: <08-29-12/1627:36> »
Hello.. Long time lurker.. first post! 

I did my prerequisite searches first and didn't come up with a satisfactory answer..

Concerning modular limbs: 

My hacker/rigger has a modular cyber lower arm.  What we were hoping to do was to have both the toolkit and the drone hand together.

Is this possible?  Our GM is under the impression that the modular toolkit completely replaces the entire lower arm INCLUDING the hand.. sorta like the drill/driver and/or the minitorch come right out at the wrist..

I was thinking more along the lines of the forearm only being replaced by a 'tool compartment' with the auto tool selector carousel in it and the drill/driver and minitorch were just hand held tools stored in the compartment.

Anybody out there have a clarification for us?   

Thanks in advance!

-Xith

WhackedMaki

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <08-29-12/1644:37> »
I would allow both as a GM. I'd think the toolkit would sit in a compartment and could be taken out and put back in. Otherwise he'd never be able to use that arm for anything useful, as it would be missing a hand.

Xith

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <08-30-12/0951:29> »
Well.. nothing in the rules clarify how much of the arm the toolkit uses..

Is it forearm and hand?  or just forearm?   

Anybody else have any input?

Thanks guys!

-Xith

Tsuarok

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <08-30-12/2257:28> »
I've always taken it to replace the entire lower limb from the elbow down, so no hand.  But now that I'm thinking about it, I can't really see any possible reason that any person would buy such a thing instead of just using a hand-held version...  it would be more expensive and allow you to do less.  In light of that, I think I'd probably let you have the hand.

Of course, like a vast number of things in the game, this depends entirely on my opinion and will vary from GM to GM.

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <08-31-12/0151:49> »
I always imagined the tool kit being a sort of rotary deal replacing your lower arm, like the robots had in the movie 'Short Circuit" (sorry, I looked high and low on yourtube but the best clip I could find is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCdtRnu9ggc at around 0:46).

If you still had a hand with it, it wouldn't be a modular cyberlimb: it would just be specialized version of the smuggling compartment.
~~~~~
"Only two things matter: Force in as great a concentration as you can manage, and style. And in a pinch, style can slide." - Xykon
~~~~~

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-31-12/0230:59> »
Going by the comments, I had another idea that could suit both camps on this matter. It could have the hand, but being a cyber replacement, the hand portion could either detach or 'fold away' opening up for the various tool parts (personally between the two, I'd say both would exist and which one would depend on the purchaser).  In the case of the 'detachable' hand version, I would personally have no issue with combining the drone hand into it (providing the additional cost in nuyen--but not essence--is paid).
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Xith

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <08-31-12/1223:36> »
Ugh.. 

Well, looks like I'm ditching that entire idea.. I REALLY want the drone hand.. and completely replacing a usable hand with tools doesn't fit her ..

A tool kit in a backpack or kept in the truck will have to suffice.

-Xith

Register