NEWS

Best Supplements for a noob DM

• 2 Replies

nerdcore

• Newb
« on: <08-28-12/1622:09> »
Hey runners,

Dispite being an old RPGer, i just had my first contact with shadowrun, and I´m loving it so far.

I would like some input on what are the best supplements to buy. I got the 20th aniversary edition and the Runners Toolkit.

I was planning on getting the Seattle 2072, Corporate Intrigue and Almanac supplements.

Are those good? What you suggest? Usually I am not very eager to get "player add on books", but I may consider them.

Thanks!

WSN0W

• Chummer
  • Never let a friend fool you twice.
« Reply #1 on: <08-28-12/1645:26> »
All the books are good if you want them for setting enrichment. so much is told through the Jackpointer voices you can see a lot.

If you are looking for more 'setting' stuff and less 'more toys/rules' things, Attitude is amazing. Vice is solid. Safe Houses (I'll save CanRay the need to pipe up about it) is a good cheap read too. I haven't finished Spy games or Clutch of Dragons, but the skimming makes them both look excellent.

Depending on style and location of your game, some of the other books can be very helpful. Runner's Havens is AWESOME if you want to do a Hong Kong game for instance.

AceFace

« Reply #2 on: <08-31-12/0911:22> »
Hello nerdcore,

Depending on what you're looking for, I'd strongly recommend:

Seattle 2072 - great fun read and very useful if you plan on playing in Seattle.

Attitude - again a great read and a really good source book for giving little details about what the 2070s are like - music, sports, entertainment etc.

The Sixth World Almanac is supposed to be a kind of an introduction to the setting and it kinda is, but it does paint the world and its history in VERY broad strokes. I enjoyed it a lot, but I'd definitely recommend reading the history stuff at the beginning of the core rulebook before reading it.

If you're going to be GMing, I'd also mention the Shadowrun Missions series, which you can get for $4 in pdf. Te current season (season 4) is set in Seattle and each mission is very simply laid out with all the stats you could need, colour pictures of all NPCs and lots of ideas for tweaking/extending each scene. They're ideal for a new/busy GM (like me). Incredible value.

You've already made a great purchase in the form of the Runner's Toolkit, which has loads of great stuff. The Anatomy of a Shadowrun is especially useful.

Hope that's of some help.