NEWS

Can I pick any metagenetic qualities for any metatype?

• 4 Replies

Nerhesi

• Newb
« on: <07-21-12/0046:48> »
I'm curious... this seems slightly unclear. I would assume that normally, I cannot for example pick Arcane Arrester for a Nartaki (Human) or a Dryad, as these are not my metagenic qualities. I'm sure I can pick any metagenic quality for my changeling obviously.

Im asking, can any meta-variant pick ANY metagenic qualities? If so, then why can't I pick them as a non-meta-variant... example: A normal human, or troll or so on. I mean, a fomori or a hobgoblin are simply the non-north american troll or orc; how come they can pick and choose wide gene variations (maybe I want even 4 arms?!?! Shiva's Arms!), and yet the north american variants cannot?
« Last Edit: <07-21-12/0212:11> by Nerhesi »

_Pax_

« Reply #1 on: <07-21-12/0322:16> »
On page 96 of Runners' Companion you will find the following passage, directly above the large words "Positive Qualities":

The Metagenetic qualities presented later in this chapter are
only available to characters who have first taken the Changeling
quality (see Creating a Changeling Character, p. 73) and as innate
abilities to various metavariants.

Many people - notably not including myself - interpret that to mean that any Metavariant can select any Metagenetic Quality they like.

However, I believe that little bit at the end there only means "the special traits of metavariants use the rules for the metagenetic qualities of the same name".  That is to say, I believe Metavariants also have to take the Changeling quality, before being able to take any Metagenetics.

That's not the popular view, however.  Many hold the opinion that metavariants get special access to metagenetics.  *shrug*

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-21-12/0516:07> »
I also hold the view that this rule is as followed:
-meta-variant: they get their innate metagenic qualities as indicated by their entries in the book, but no others
-changelings: they get to choose
to have a meta-variant take other metagenic qualities, they have to be changeling too.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #3 on: <07-21-12/0627:39> »
"The following section describes each metavariant succinctly and lists its innate abilities" (RC, p. 70).  The particular metagenetic qualities are already chosen for each metavariant.

However, why not take some level of Changeling/SURGE?  It's almost what you're doing anyway when you pick metagenetic qualities that aren't on the metavariant's list--you're making a genetic break with the race you've chosen.  The main differences are that the ones on the metavariant's list don't count toward the +/- 35 BP limit on qualities and that each level of SURGE requires you to pick up a few BP of negative metagenetic qualities (which can be abused--see Impaired, for example).
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

Nerhesi

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <07-21-12/1310:09> »
Its not so clear until I happened across the text for Shiva's Arms.

"Certain rare changelings, and one metavariant genetic expression,
grant a character an additional set of arms that extend
from modified shoulder joints."

Runners Companion, Pg. 114

One metavariant - and changelings. Which means unless you're that one meta variant (Nartaki), or a changeling, you don't have Shiva's arms.